Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Honest Obama Question (From a non-supporter)

Thanks Ginger'sMom for clearing that up for me. When I woke up this morning, I realized what I was trying to say. In the primary, I cannot vote for someone of a different party.

My point here was that just because I may register Republican, doesn't mean I want any of the R candidates in office. While I'm sure that there's a reason for it, it would be nice to have the option.

RE: Obama and the name-calling

I guess I do agree that he probably doesn't have time to address this stuff. Thanks for the input. It was something I'd been hearing from nearly everywhere (online and on the radio, even TV sometimes. Most of this would have been from people calling in (and/or written) mocking the fact that his constituants were looking at him in that manner.

It would be interesting to hear what a Christian has to say...I get the whole "doesn't have time to address everything said", I"m just wondering if I'm just being too sensitive to this.

I know Rush calls him that, but its mocking him.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMommy View Post
    My point here was that just because I may register Republican, doesn't mean I want any of the R candidates in office. While I'm sure that there's a reason for it, it would be nice to have the option.
    Although I do believe there are problems with the primary system as it now exists I think the reasoning behind it is good. Let me take some simple positions (I will probably be blasted for over-simplifying). Republicans are against abortion, for allowing big business to make economic decisions for the country, and more concerned about world issues. Democrats are in favor of legalized abortion, having the government make economic decisions for the country, and more concerned about domestic issues. As a member of one of those parties I do not want a member of the other party deciding who whe best person is to carry out my goals. I wouldn't think that they understand may goals enough to make that decision. The decision as to who would best define and implement a parties goals should be made by that party alone, and not by whomever decided to go the the polls that day. JMO.

I guess I do agree that he probably doesn't have time to address this stuff. Thanks for the input. It was something I'd been hearing from nearly everywhere (online and on the radio, even TV sometimes. Most of this would have been from people calling in (and/or written) mocking the fact that his constituants were looking at him in that manner.

It would be interesting to hear what a Christian has to say...I get the whole "doesn't have time to address everything said", I"m just wondering if I'm just being too sensitive to this.

As you say it is mocking and name calling. It is not how his supporters see him, but a detractors way of making them seem like sheep instead of thinking people who have made an intelligent reasoned decision. He should not be lured by the distraction to get involved in the name calling when there are issues to be discussed (whether you agree with his position or not).

I am going to go one step further and answer the last question, although I may be out of line. I am a Christian, I may not be a fundamentalist or evangelistic Christian, but I am a Christian and hold my spiritual beliefs to be very dear. Having said that, do I think you are being overly sensitive? Yes. Do I understand how you can feel this way? Yes. It is a very emotional subject to you, and something that you are already sensitive too without being fed or baited by the media. And that is alright. I guess I would just ask that you do not judge Senator Obama's feelings on this subject by his lack of response. It should just be seen as a lack of response and not a lack of caring or understanding of what is going on around him.

3. Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMommy View Post
    In the primary, I cannot vote for someone of a different party.

Kelly,

Primary rules are established state by state. In Illinois I was not registered with either party and was able to request whichever ballot I wanted in a primary. In California the Democratic Party allows crossover voting in the primary if you vote in person (as opposed to absentee ballot) but the Republican Party does not.

I am surprised you find Rush Limbaugh's derisive use of the word "messiah" acceptable. Could you, from your Christian perspective, tell me why it is okay to use that word as an insult?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I am surprised you find Rush Limbaugh's derisive use of the word "messiah" acceptable.  Could you, from your Christian perspective, tell me why it is okay to use that word as an insult?
    It's not - to me anyway (and I am a Christian).  Then again, I can't stand Limbaugh.....

Kelly,

Primary rules are established state by state. In Illinois I was not registered with either party and was able to request whichever ballot I wanted in a primary. In California the Democratic Party allows crossover voting in the primary if you vote in person (as opposed to absentee ballot) but the Republican Party does not.
    Oh see, I find that interesting. In NJ you must declare to vote in a primary. I believe you can actually go to the poll and declare there (at least that is what I was told at one time by someone who was calling to get voters out).

6. My sister lived in Newark New Jersey...she was in her urban pioneer phase. She wanted to vote for...I don't remember the name...it was a woman. The woman was a Republican. My sister went to her polling place and asked for a Republican ballot. After a moment of shocked silence...they had to send someone out to find a Republican ballot!

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR View Post
    It's not - to me anyway (and I am a Christian).  Then again, I can't stand Limbaugh.....
    Same here Jen. I wouldn't believe anything Limbaugh says and don't bother to listen to him. Or Bill Mahar either for that matter.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly,
    I am surprised you find Rush Limbaugh's derisive use of the word "messiah" acceptable. Could you, from your Christian perspective, tell me why it is okay to use that word as an insult?
    Cause it is acceptable to mockingly call someone God or the messiah...you just can't be serious and do it.

Didn't you know that, ES?

I took it to mean if someone does it mockingly, they are just being an ass, but someone who seriously means it would be disturbing to a Christian who believes only Christ is the Messiah. Though I haven't personally heard anyone referring to Obama as such, I have to doubt anyone truly means it seriously.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul View Post
    I took it to mean if someone does it mockingly, they are just being an ass, but someone who seriously means it would be disturbing to a Christian who believes only Christ is the Messiah. Though I haven't personally heard anyone referring to Obama as such, I have to doubt anyone truly means it seriously.

I've never heard Obama called or even described as a Messiah.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Listen for yourselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha5HEc-vOJs

Instrument that God is going to use?

13. Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Cause it is acceptable to mockingly call someone God or the messiah...you just can't be serious and do it.

Didn't you know that, ES?

Well duh on me! Am I the only one getting that feeling of deja vu all over again? This whole conversation reminds me of when some Muslims were offended by some Danish cartoons.

Kelly,

Oh! This makes sense as I've always voted absentee!!! Thank you for explaining this to me! Hmmm....can you change your voting party for the Primary and then change it back for the regular (Although that wouldn't matter other than census info, I guess?).

I DON'T find it acceptable and never said I liked, nor approved of him. I think writen word isn't always easy to fully understand where people are coming from - or, I need to learn to explain myself or my comments. I don't find ANYONE calling ANYONE the Messiah or Christ, unless they ARE Christ/Messiah OK. That was my entire point. Joking or not, its not cool. As a Presidential Candidate - trying to gain "Bible Belt" voters, you'd think he'd at LEAST make a 10 second comment. But, again, IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha5HEc-vOJs

Instrument that God is going to use?

THANK YOU, Pam!!! I was beginning to think myself CRAZY! I've heard, with my own ears, Obama being referred in this way many times. When most of you said you'd hadn't heard anything like this...I well, felt a bit crazy for a second there.

Then, I kept on hearing and reading it. I should site these sources and will from now on.

From above:
    On "Saviors Day, 2008" Louis Farrakhan Declares Barack Obama The Messiah....
    Messiah....Savior....Christ....hmm.
    You CANNOT tell me Obama doesn't know someone like Louis Farrakhan is talking about him like this. Seriously???