Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Barney is an Angel Now.

Lara if you will PM your address I would like to send some money to help with his care there. I am out of town until Thursday, but will send to you then. Someone here on PT blessed me, I would like to give something back for a kindness shown.
    Heaven is the place of final and complete happinees God has prepared for us----and if animals are necessary to make us happy in heaven, then you can be sure God will have them there. Reverend Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by momtomany View Post
    Lara if you will PM your address I would like to send some money to help with his care there. I am out of town until Thursday, but will send to you then. Someone here on PT blessed me, I would like to give something back for a kindness shown.
    Thank you so much. I will PM you.

Barney is coming over tomorrow around 10:00a.m. and will move into the shop. The enclosure was dropped off today by my coworker's partner. It is about 6 feet by 6 feet. I thought it was a little bigger but this will do fine. It is about 2 feet tall. We have to cut a door out of it because up until now it has been used as a plant protector from deer and no door was needed. Not sure how Terri got to her plants come to think of it but I guess she just lifted the whole thing up as it is not very heavy.

We have put some plywood down on the concrete to make it warmer because this enclosure doesn't have a bottom. We are going to put a dog bed that we got a few years ago in there called a Kuranda bed. It's a chew proof bed that we got for Finn but he isn't chewing his bedding anymore and doesn't use it. It has four legs and sits about 6 inches off the ground. We can put Barney's blankets and bedding on top of this.

Angela bought him a heater today that looks like it will work well. She is also bringing over all the blankets she has bought for him over the last few weeks and soft comfy sweaters she picked up at the thrift store for him.

She said that he was following her around yesterday which is very sweet. But today he is really sluggish and kind of depressed. He has grown quite attached to her and I'm wondering if he somehow knows she is leaving. She has been packing her suitcases and cleaning up Terri's house so maybe he knows something is up. Of course, he must. Cats are so smart. I wish we could explain to him that it's going to be okay. He'll see soon enough I guess.

I wish we weren't heading into winter and that it was summer again. Then I could take Barney outside during the day and he could be in the sunshine and warmth in the outdoor enclosure. We have awful weather here right now with rain, rain and more rain and a windstorm is coming tonight and we are expected to lose power. If this happens, I have two hot water bottles and I will heat water on our coleman stove and fill the bottles and put them in Barney's bedding so he stays warm.

Part of me is nervous about taking this on. I've never fostered a cat before and the reason is because I know what a failure I'd be at it because I get so attached. But at the same time, the anxiety and worry I've been feeling the past week, not knowing where he was going and getting up the nerve to ask my husband was very stressful and I'm so glad that part is over and he will be with us soon. It's going to be alot easier for me to take care of him here at our house rather than having to race over to Terri's after work and then race home so hubby isn't frustrated with me. This way Barney will be a few steps from my front door.

Here is tonight's short clip. He doesn't look so good but Angela has been feeding him dry kitten food mixed with the Orijen dry food and a ton of wet food. I don't think it's good that he is getting so many different things. It seems to be upsetting his stomach. The dry food constipates him so I think when he gets here I'm going to stick with wet for a few days until he is feeling better.

Aw, he looks so pathetic. I'll bet he does realize that Angela is leaving. When my ex-husband and I were divorced, my son took Peeka and Boo for a while until I got resituated and whenever I would come to visit my son, Peeka would always hop in the suitcase as I was packing to go home and she'd put one of her toys in as if to say "Don't forget me, Mom". Barney really does look sad on this video. I'm hoping that once Angela is gone and you have him on a steady diet of one particular cat food that he'll get used to only having you around. I'm wondering about the fostering thing, though; I have a feeling you're going to fail. LOL
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Awe... I wonder if that's how he lost his first home, by someone moving and leaving him behind. Poor little guy. I'm glad he'll be with you and warm. He's such a sad little thing, so I hope he gets better and then maybe he'll be able to meet your guys. He'll be so grateful for all the love and affection you two have been giving him.

I'm still in shock that the other two people watched him digress over the past year or so. GRRRR... That ticks me off.

Barney is blessed by having you and Angela in his life. I'm sure he will reward you many times over with his thanks!

He looks so very sad. I just want to grab that baby and snuggle him in my arms! Thank you for fostering him. I have a feeling, like Mary, that you are going to fail at this fostering. There is no doubt I would! That's why I have 17! It's hard not to get attached to them. Especially when they are so in need like precious Barney.

Mary

WE ARE SO GLAD THAT THE LITTLE GRAY MOUSE ARRIVED.
    I HAD THE SAME TROUBLE GETTING IT INTO THE ENVELOPE AS MIQUELITO THE LITTLE ORANGE LION WANTED TO PLAY, BUT AFTER I SAID ITS FOR YOUR FRIEND BARNEY HE STOPPPED!!!
    WE HOPE THAT IT DRIED AND THAT BARNEYS ENJOYING OUR LITTLE GIFT.
    WE HAVE ADDED BARNEY THE BOLD TO OUR PRAYERS AND WE PRAY WE SEE A GOOD UPDATE SOON.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Oh my goodness, what a day!! I'm so relieved it's over and that Barney is safely tucked into my workshop. He arrived around 11:00 this morning when Angela brought him over. My husband and I set up his enclosure a few hours earlier and had the heat going to warm it up. We covered all the cracks by the doors and windows with thick poly to keep the heat in.

At first he was really scared and stayed under the dog bed (which is 6 inches off the ground) for awhile. But then when I went to the hardware store to pick up another tarp my husband said he went in there and Barney was just sitting there looking at him and then he meowed a couple of times. I've only ever heard him meow once so I was glad to hear this.

I'm thinking that maybe his family in the past was a man because he seems to really like my husband. I got some footage of him petting Barney and I wish the footage wasn't so dark because the look in Barney's eyes when he looks at my husband is so endearing. Does anybody know how to lighten a video? It was really amazing. We had a few more arguments this morning about the whole thing but once he met Barney, he felt badly for him and couldn't believe how little he is.

He's had all his meds for the day and has eaten a few times already. Everytime I go in there he is fast asleep, curled up. But when he wakes up, he rolls his cheek and face on the catnip mouse Gary sent! He loves that thing. Thank you again for sending it.

Medusa wrote:
    I'm wondering about the fostering thing, though; I have a feeling you're going to fail. LOL
    You're right, if it were up to me, I'd be a complete failure. lol But I know that my husband won't let me. The only way will be for him to completely fall for Barney. He already likes him and feels sorry for him but I don't think it will happen. We already have so many cats and our goal was to have fewer as they age out so it is more manageable. But, I will take good care of him while he is with us and try and nurse him back to health so he is adoptable.

JennLibrarian wrote:
    I wonder if that's how he lost his first home, by someone moving and leaving him behind.
    I'm still in shock that the other two people watched him digress over the past year or so. GRRRR... That ticks me off.
    I wonder about that too. He did seem so sad yesterday, almost depressed. But today, I climbed into the enclosure and sat there with him and petted him and trimmed some of his mats and he was purring and stretching his little front legs. I think he just needed to know that someone else was still going to be there for him once Angela left. He is such a special little fellow.
    I too do not understand how a cat in this condition could hang around a house for a year without anybody trying to really help him. He was given food but I still can't imagine not trying to do more. I guess not everybody feels the same way about animals. That's why I like Pettalk. Everyone cares so much about animals here.

Purr-Tender wrote:
    That's why I have 17! It's hard not to get attached to them. Especially when they are so in need like precious Barney.
    Wow, how do you do it?? I'm sure they are very well loved and grateful to have a home.

Catmandu wrote:
    WE HAVE ADDED BARNEY THE BOLD TO OUR PRAYERS AND WE PRAY WE SEE A GOOD UPDATE SOON.
    Barney the Bold. That is wonderful!

Below are some clips from today and below that are a few pics. Sorry they are so dark, the lighting isn't all that great in the shop. I'll try and find a lamp to bring in for better movies.

Barney with Gary's catnip mouse!

Awwww...he sure knows his name! When you called him, he came up and just kept giving that bed head rubs!

It's so nice to see him moving better - and even giving a classic Big Yawn!

I had to smile when you remarked to Scott about how Barney was looking at him - and he said, "Yeah, he's giving me the sad eyes." LOL...think he's seen a few sad eyes before?

Glad he is settled in and cozy.

Just because I worry too much - don't let the second tarp get near the heater!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Instant LES from even just looking at Barney's photo let alone viewing the video. Your husband does seem to be softening but I understand why you want to limit the number of cats that live w/you. I'm in the same position. Not that you're my age but w/my circumstances, I fear that my younger cats will outlive me, so to take on more would be irresponsible and the financial obligation is great as well. If I had a partner or even a roommate who was understanding and helpful, it would be a different story, so I truly understand your feelings and I hope you don't think that I was pressuring you to take Barney. It's just that I wonder who will take him in his condition, although I'll admit that if I was there to see him and help w/him every day, he'd be mine regardless of my protests. What a special assignment you've been blessed with, Lara, and what an incredible, loving job you're doing. As usual, give Barney some extra lovin' for me.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Lara, you are such a jewel! I'm so glad that you have Barney with you now. It's great that Barney likes Scott. It was so sweet watching your hubby nestling Barney into his blankets and making sure even his little tail was snuggled in too. Keep these wonderful updates and videos coming. I look forward to them!

More prayers for Barney!
    Mary

"How do I do it??" With lots of love and a very tolerant (though not happy) husband. It is truly a labor of love and my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I hope you don't think that I was pressuring you to take Barney. It's just that I wonder who will take him in his condition, although I'll admit that if I was there to see him and help w/him every day, he'd be mine regardless of my protests. What a special assignment you've been blessed with, Lara, and what an incredible, loving job you're doing. As usual, give Barney some extra lovin' for me.
    Oh my gosh, don't worry, I wasn't thinking that! lol I know that you can tell that I would fail at fostering and it's the truth! And I do wonder who will take this guy but my hope is to get him healthier and looking better so he is more appealing. And this morning, he was really full of beans! He was up on the dog bed in the enclosure and meowing at me. I actually got it on film this time! He started pawing at the fencing too! The clavamox that I gave him yesterday morning and last night were his first doses. I had the meds on hand and the pill pockets for a few days but we decided to wait until he was here at my house before beginning the meds because when he was under Angela's care, his meds were a bit sporadic. I'm wondering if these two doses are what is causing him to have more energy already! He has received another this morning.

Catty1 wrote:
    Just because I worry too much - don't let the second tarp get near the heater!
    Good point! I made sure to keep the tarp off the front of the enclosure where the heater is and just have it around the top, sides and back.

Purr-Tender wrote:
    It was so sweet watching your hubby nestling Barney into his blankets and making sure even his little tail was snuggled in too. Keep these wonderful updates and videos coming. I look forward to them!
    He is really good with our animals and they just love him. I can't believe he didn't have animals before we met because he is a natural with them. But I guess he's making up for lost time now. LOL

Here is his video. You can here him meow in the second half of it and he sounds like a little frog:

Oh Barney your so so Sweet Looking.. Please get Better Soon.. This is a very nice loving home.. They will take Great Care of you..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Oh goodness, he does sound like a little frog! He's the sweetest little boy I've ever seen, Lara. I just LOVE him!
    Blessings,
    Mary

I think we all love him heart and soul. I wish I could take him.
    Heaven is the place of final and complete happinees God has prepared for us----and if animals are necessary to make us happy in heaven, then you can be sure God will have them there. Reverend Billy Graham

I LOVE those little "me-ax" sounds! Little Barney Frog.

It will be interesting to see what the Clavamox does for him.

What a precious boy...I am sure when he is a bit healthier, he will melt someone's heart!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda