Thread: A Friend on the Today Show Today!

A Friend on the Today Show Today!

A friend was on the Today Show today. Her name is Kathy Brinkman and she entered a contest they had about "Everyone Has a Story". They called her at home on Monday to tell her that she had won and could she fly out on Wednesday so she could be on the show today - I had it taped but have not watched it yet. Her story is about finding out that she had breast cancer in 2005 and in doing so, her life was saved because in the prep work for the surgery they found she had stage 4 lung cancer. She had no symptoms of the lung cancer so she probably would have been to far along to live if they had found out later. She goes to the Church I work at and is one of teh most amazing people I know. She will tell you in just a normal voice that this or that is bothering her from whatever she is going through right then but never acting like it is more than an inconvenience. She is such an inspiration.

She and 7 others were chosen to be on the show on different days to tell what their story is. One of the reasons she was chosen was because of one of the statements in her essay. She says that no one is promised tomorrow. We need to fill our days with hugs and lots of laughter. She is truly an amazing lady! Here is the essay that she won with.

Everyone Has a Story – Kathy Brinkman

"Everyone has a story" – my goodness! I hear that phrase all the time, because I am a cancer survivor and survivors can all relate to that phrase.

My story began in January 2005, when I was diagnosed with the earliest stage of breast cancer. Easy. Have a lumpectomy, some radiation and be cured. Even so, there's nothing like the word "cancer" to knock your socks off.

My husband and I planned to go to Florida early in February, so my lumpectomy was scheduled later in the month, after our return. I had the usual blood work, an EKG and a chest X-ray during the week before the Sunday we were to leave. The surgeon's office called on Friday to say there was an abnormality in my lung and I needed a cat scan. The CAT scan was done that same day. My oncologist called and said she would push for the results on Saturday because she did not want us to go to Florida with that hanging over our heads. She called again Saturday evening to say we would not be going to Florida and that I needed a biopsy on Monday. Tuesday evening we met with her and learned that I have stage-4 lung cancer. The breast cancer was put on hold. I have always said "God bless the breast cancer." I had no symptoms of lung cancer and would not have found it expect for the breast cancer. Scary. You would think your body would tell you.

It has been over three and a half years and I have beaten the odds so far. In fact, my surgeon told me that when I was diagnosed, no one thought I would live very long, so the breast cancer was a non-issue. But since I fooled them, I had to have a mastectomy this month to take care of the breast cancer. Now I can forget about that little pest.

People I come in contact with tell me that my attitude is terrific. All I know is that although I would never wish cancer on anyone, it has been a sort of an odd blessing for me. The other patients I have met during chemo are the most wonderful people. It's almost like we belong to this private club that no one wants to join. We don't sweat the small stuff anymore. And I realize how this cancer thing isn't just mine, it belongs to my whole family -- my husband, our son and daughter, grandchildren, my sisters and then to my wide circle of friends. I am so fortunate to have such support.

No one is promised tomorrow. We need to fill our days with hugs and lots of laughter.

From Today Interview:
    Cancer can knock your socks off,” Kathy said, “but once you catch your breath, you realize there is so much hope – you should never let go of that

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

How awesome for your friend! You never know how God works but He always does . Thanks for sharing her story!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...49061#27100240

is the link for the interview - you have to watch or skip the ad first.

--William Feather

I taped the show too, but I have not watched it.

It amazes me how sometimes the people who seem to be going through the hardest time do have the best attitude. When I was working summers at Marathon in Findlay, I worked with a woman whose daughters I knew of through volleyball, as we played against them in high school. We became friends and that summer, and that same year she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She said she always knew she would get it, having lost both parents and a grandfather to breast cancer, it was just a matter of when.

After I went back to school , we kept in touch and would at least exchange Christmas cards each year. She went through so much as the cancer spread and eventually it gotinto her bones. She had pieces of her jaw removed twice as well as mant other complications. Sheila passed away on Christmas day 2006.

The one thing that has stuck with me was her attitude of "find a bigger problem" No matter what she was facing, she always said there were people out there whose situation was worse then hers. That attitude can really put things into perspective when things are rough , we have to remember how lucky we are for the good things we do have.

I hope you each will take time to view the link I posted - I forgot that one of the things that the Today show was doing for the person was to have a song written about their story. It is included in this bit and it is amazing too! Wow! is all I can say!

--William Feather