Thread: I have an Idea!!! - ('Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World'

I have an Idea!!! - ('Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World'

I *think* this has been done informally, but what do you think about the idea of passing along an animal-themed fiction book to fellow PTers after you've read it...and they continue the chain. Maybe the book(s) should be inspirational as well as "animal"?

For instance, I just read Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat WhoTouched the World and loved it more than I can say! Its likened to Marley and Me but with a cat, instead of a dog. I would love to pass it along to a PTer and have that person read it, and then pass it along to another PTer...and so on.

What do you think????

Here's the cover:

(Can you see why I got the book?? The cover alone had me melting!!!)

Here's the Info from B&N's website:
    Synopsis

How much of an impact can an animal have? How many lives can one cat touch? How is it possible for an abandoned kitten to transform a small library, save a classic American town, and eventually become famous around the world? You can't even begin to answer those questions until you hear the charming story of Dewey Readmore Books, the beloved library cat of Spencer, Iowa.

Dewey's story starts in the worst possible way. Only a few weeks old, on the coldest night of the year, he was stuffed into the returned book slot at the Spencer Public Library. He was found the next morning by library director, Vicki Myron, a single mother who had survived the loss of her family farm, a breast cancer scare, and an alcoholic husband. Dewey won her heart, and the hearts of the staff, by pulling himself up and hobbling on frostbitten feet to nudge each of them in a gesture of thanks and love. For the next nineteen years, he never stopped charming the people of Spencer with his enthusiasm, warmth, humility, (for a cat) and, above all, his sixth sense about who needed him most.

As his fame grew from town to town, then state to state, and finally, amazingly, worldwide, Dewey became more than just a friend; he became a source of pride for an extraordinary Heartland farming town pulling its way slowly back from the greatest crisis in its long history.

Here is the Barnes & Noble link to "Dewey":
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Dew...6407410/?itm=2

So...tell me what you think...I even have the idea to either insert a few blank sheets at the beginning of the book for each recipient to write a little message to the next reader. (Or something like it...then when the book goes around the world, each person can read where its been and the messages?)

Hugs,
    Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

What a great idea!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I think it's a good idea. I think we should be able to add books as we like to pass on to other PTers too. My favorite animals book are My Dog Tulip and Never Cry Wolf.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tulip-York-Rev.../dp/0940322110

edit:
    I found out My Dog Tulip has been made into an animated movie.
    http://www.tulipthedog.com

Niņo & Eliza

I bet I would enjoy that book. I just finished A Cat Named Darwin a couple of weeks ago and really liked it.

From Decker with Love

I like that idea!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I just started that book, about Dewey Readmore Books (his full and proper name) today. I can vouch for it - it is totally delightful!!

I'd be interested! =]

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Would love to do that! I have a video that I showed to elementary aged kids about "Library Cats" in school and they always bugged the principal to get our school a library cat, hehehe! Never happened, but it was a sweet throught!

Count me in!

Wow! I'm glad you all are interested. I like the idea to have more than one book floating around. How would we organize this? I assume get interest first??

Maybe Karen can make a stickie post for us?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I love the idea Kelly - and now MUST read about Dewey. I am currently reading Marley & Me. This could be the PT version of Bookcrossing in fact we could even release them from there?
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 10-08-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Great idea.

I love the cat's name. Dewey, after the Dewey Decimal System So cute.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!