Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sabrina is vomiting white foam! **update Fri. 10/23/08**

Well she kept down what I force fed her this afternoon, and did manage to eat about 5 crunchies on her own.

I force fed her again small amounts twice this evening and so far everything is staying down. I know it's not nearly enough food for her but the vet said not to let her eat a whole bunch anyways yet because it may upset her tummy again.

She has a water fountain in the room and she must be drinking because I've cleaned out a couple pee clumps from her litterbox. I wish I could monitor her drinking better but that's difficult to do with a cat. At least with the canned A/D I know she's getting some water in that in addition to whatever she's drinking. The vet didn't seem to think she was dehydrated so that's good. I was worried about that with all the vomiting she did.

I don't get it, she acts hungry, is acting perky today, wants to play, is purring, in all other aspects acting normal, she just doesn't want to eat on her own. Even when I force feed her she's not thrilled about it, but she doesn't really spit the food out either. Oh well, at this point just getting food to stay down is the big thing.

I hope whatever is wrong with her goes away soon and I can let her back out into the house with the rest of the cats. She's so lonely in there and the other cats keep hanging around the door like 'mommy why is Sabrina in kitty jail?'. Makes me feel guilty for some reason.

Anyways thank you again for the support and prayers. It must be working because the food is staying down. YAY.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Skinny had tummy issues early spring and he was given a tummy medication for a week. Settled his tummy and no more foam vomiting.
    His diagnosis was gastritis (spell?). His appretite never left him and thankfully he never upchucked food.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Glad her food is staying down. Prayers and positive thoughts that she keeps on the road to recovery.

From Decker with Love

That is wonderful the food is staying down. I know force feeding our babies can be very rough. I have had to do this before and I know it causes mixed feelings - just remeber you are helping her and it is important she keeps food in her belly. Hang in there Sabrina!
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

Sabrina is still in the spare room.

Breakfast - I had to force feed her as she still didn't want to eat on her own. No vomit though so she's keeping what I've been giving her down. Either she's drinking or she's getting enough water from the canned food because there was a pee clump in the sandbox this morning.

Lunch - Her vet said I could increase the amount of canned food I'm force feeding since things are staying down now so she can now have two teaspoons full of food each time and see how that goes. She was alert and playful this afternoon and even ate about 5 of her crunchies on her own! Another pee clump in the sandbox again, no poop though. I played with her and brought Bear in to visit her. She was very happy to see him, she ran over and shoved her head under his chin (which means 'wash my head for me'). Bear licked her, she licked him, and they sniffed each other alot. I think she was sad when I had to put him back out again. *sigh*

Dinner - Looked like she may have eaten a couple of her crunchies, the bowl looked like it had been rooted in a bit. Nothing in the sandbox this time. She's still playful and wants to come out very much. I force fed her again and played, petted and cuddled her until she purred so loud I think the neighbors could hear her. lol

Late Supper - She peed for me while I was up there, no poop in the sandbox though and I'm getting a bit concerned now, it feels like there's some in her. I'm also concerned about the red spot on her left ear. I pointed it out to the ER and her regular vet but neither seemed concerned about it. I noticed today it's a bit larger and darker, and she was scratching at it a couple times. It may be nothing, but it worries her mommy. I do have GOOD NEWS though, she ate 30 crunchies on her own. I didn't have to force feed her!!! I actually distracted her with a toy before she was done. I'd hate for her to eat a whole bunch on her own only to go back to vomiting again.

If she still hasn't pooped by morning, or the ear still looks like it bothers her she's going back into work with me tomorrow.

I may work at a vet hospital, but I'm just a pet owner inside and know just enough just to scare the crap out of myself when it comes to my furbabies. LOL

I took some pix of her tonight, I'll post them as soon as I get them downsized.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Sabrina update:

She pooped sometime overnight and it was soft so definately can't be another megacolon cat, however everytime we make some progress she has something else go wrong.

Sometime last night she also vomited up all the food I had given her in the evening, as well as a small hairball. *sigh* She's not eating on her own again/still, so all day I've had to force feed her. I came home this evening and found two small spots of the white foam vomit she had left on the carpet.

Now for the BAD NEWS????

Sassy has started vomiting white foam!!!

I'm going to get both of them into the vet tomorrow. Either it's got to be the food, something they both got into, or something contagious. I'm really hoping I didn't bring something home from work and give it to my babies. We have had alot of sick cats at work lately, but none of them were vomiting white foam though.

I'm guessing that they're going to need some kind of medication. The wait and see approach just isn't cutting it this time.

I just hope none of the other cats start getting sick too. I can't possibly have time to force feed 7 cats all day!

PLEASE keep my kitties in your prayers. They could really use your PT collective get well wishes.

oh NO. I hope the culprit is found...and that it might be a very treatable "kitty flu".

HUGS and PT Prayers for you and the furbabies!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Well now, just when things were looking brighter. Ok, prayers going out your way right this second......
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

What brand of dry and wet food do you feed your cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    What brand of dry and wet food do you feed your cats?
    That's what I was wondering too. I'd be suspecting the food. With all the contamination problems last year and the reported problems with Nutro this year you just never know.

I sure hope it's nothing serious. Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

From Decker with Love

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope that you'll be able to find out what's causing this and that it can be easily treated. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

I don't have alot of time to update, as it is I'm supposed to be doing something else then head to bed. But I wanted to update you guys on my two torties.

After Sassy turning down food last night and this morning as well as breathing fast and growling at everyone including hubby (who she loves) I was in a panic. Add to that Sabrina turning down breakfast and doing the vomiting again.

Anyways poor Sassy had a temp of over 104!! Sabrina's was only slightly above normal. The consenses was that they have a virus they're passing around. They spent the day at work with me today and got injections of cortisone and antibiotics, and already they're eating better, and keeping the food down for the last two feedings.

I'm just trying to keep the peace because I let both of them out of confinement and the trio of sibs aren't getting along at the moment. I'm hoping they'll be ok to leave out overnight, otherwise I'll have to shut a couple of them in again for a while longer.

I was also told to keep a watch on everyone else. If anyone else starts to get sick I can just pick up the medication if anyone needs it.

Hopefully this will be the last of it and everyone will go back to being healthy and getting along.

Thank you guys again for the PT prayers. My kittes and I very much appreciate all of you.

*PS I'll try to get a chance online tomorrow night and post those pix of Sabrina I took and maybe get a few of Sassy for you.

Here's hoping that you and the furkids have been through the worst of it now and that things will be back to normal soon.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Well at least you know what it is now and hopefully they will be over it quickly with no more outbreaks.

Wonder how they got a virus? Do they go outside?

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat View Post
    Wonder how they got a virus? Do they go outside?
    No they are basically indoor cats. I say 'basically' because they do occasionally go outside on a leash or into the Katzenhaus outside, but always supervised.

Most likely I brought the virus home from work on my clothes or hair. We've had alot of sick cats come in recently.

My furbabies update:

So far they've been doing pretty good. Sassy didn't want lunch today, but ate all her other meals and kept them down. Sabrina has ate every meal and kept it down. Neither are eating quite as much as they had before, but eating a fair amount enough I'm not overly worried at this point. I'm just happy they're not vomiting.

Bad news is Josh got all bent out of shape over them smelling like 'vet' and started having a literal 'hissy' fit. So now he's the one shut in the spare room, and he's not happy about it. He keeps meowing pittifully and bouncing up trying to turn the doorknob, but I have to keep him in there until he gets lonely enough he'll not try to attack everyone in the house. *sigh*

Oh and add to the stress....Today I got bit a little bit by a cat, and of all things it was already muzzled!!! I say bit a 'little bit' because it's only a tiny puncture, and feels about like when I accidentally poke myself with a needle. I'm thinking that since this is the 3rd time I've gotten bitten at work, and twice in the same year I'm going to update my tetnaus shot this week. *sigh*

Thank you everyone for your prayers for my furbabies. It must be working because they seem to be doing alot better.