Thread: Cats and Music

Cats and Music

I have a strange problem. Does your pet ever react oddly to music? Every time I turn on my music downloads from Itunes my cat goes berserk and runs around in circles. It is so supernatural buy hilarious. It is actually quite fun!

Anything strange your cat does?
    I'm more of a fan for cats... dogs, on the other hand... well, lets just say we don't think the same

Now keep in mind dont let the music be too loud.. Dogs & Cats hearing is about 4 times stronger than ours..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Several years ago I managed a band of musicians from S. Africa and one of their indigenous instruments is the berimbow. Whenever the leader of the band would play it, my Puddy would come running, no matter where she was in the house. Then she'd stand at his feet and look up at him while he played. She loved the sound of that instrument.

The day that I rescued Pidgie, as I was driving her to the emergency vet clinic, I had a tape of Wynona playing in the car. I can't recall the name of the song (it was a tape, after all ), but Pidge was as quiet as can be until the song ended and then she'd cry when the next song began, so I kept rewinding the tape until we got to the clinic and I played it the entire way back home.

Cats are cultured critters!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

We found out the hard way that Roscoe like any thing but heavy metal. On our way home from the NEAT show we had the radio on scan. He was very quite until heavy metal came on. Thereat of the CREW likes country or oldies.
    GILL & Crew;

Our cats LOVE opera, Bach, and Mozart!!! When I play " Addicted to Love " by Robert Palmer, they run!! However, " RED, RED, WINE " by UB40, is a bit mellow, and they seem to like it!!! I leave the radio on WQXR-FM(Classical music)on when we leave the house to go to work....I think hearing the music and the voice of the people on the radio gives them some comfort until they hear us again....
    Nine is Fine!!

My cat has 2 special songs I wrote for him, and he purrs when I sing them.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

My aunt had a horse that would start acting a little roudy when she played Dwight Yoacam. He would throw his head and if he could get ahold of something to grab and toss he would.

Mostly Orangies all the time!

I was watching this really neat show on Animal Planet the other week about cats and music. They were showing clips of Nora, the cat that is famous on Youtube for playing the piano (here is the video). The whole show was about vibrations and how cats are attracted to some music because of the vibrations. The purring a cat makes is the ultimate vibration that goes to the core of their muscles and bones and there are scientists doing all kinds of studies on how cats are actually healing themselves when they purr. I knew that purring was something that helped them to calm themselves but I never knew it could be healing them!

The show stated that cats don't have near the prevalence of orthopedic disease or ligament and muscle traumas as dogs do and it was thought that the purring was the reason. The scientists on the show were working on creating mechanical vibration for people based on what purring does in a cat to aid in the healing of muscles and bones. I only caught half the show but hopefully it will come on again. It was so interesting!

It's not music but I have an alarm clock with 'nature sounds' that includes an owl hooting. Cami cannot stand it when she hears that and runs to hide. I had to change the sounds on it so it would quit scaring her.

Jack hates riding in the car and meows the whole time. I've found that some easy listening, particularly Air Supply, and alot of country music, particularly Louise Mandrell, seems to calm him down. I think he likes the base and deep voiced singing sounds. When we play those for him he seems to calm down, lays down in his carrier, and only meows very softly occasionally. If the wrong song comes on he'll stand up and start this horrible screaming meowing tirade until we get the song changed.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022