Thread: Oh, the irony...

Oh, the irony...

So we just replaced everything my dad lost during Hurricane Ike. The rest of the family had their stuff replaced okay... but I replaced all of my dad's food he lost since he is retired.

My refrigerator has not been getting all that cold. I have a service plan with Maytag, and called on Monday. They'll be out sometime on Saturday to look at it. We got home tonight and things were defrosting in the freezer.

I think we salvaged everything... except the ice cream. We had room out in the stand up freezer in the garage, so shoved what we could in there... including all the butter and cheese and lunchmeat.

Hopefully this doesn't end up costing us a lot...

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

How annoying, but at least you had the spare freezer! Ice cream will refreeze okay, if it hasn't melted out of the container and all over the place ... and if it's just soft, hey - it's edible!

Well, it ended up being the thermostat. It was replaced and the fridge is getting cold again.

I ended up tossing everything in the fridge, from salad to mayo. I do not want to risk any food poisoning. I even tossed a few extra things from the freezer. Hubby said, "Oh, the chorizo wasn't frozen anymore, but I put it in the garage freezer" and if that had time to thaw, then plenty of other things did too, I'm afraid.

All told, I only lost about $100 worth of stuff. It could have been worse. We could have not noticed it at all (or been out of town) and had to get rid of everything.

I'm just really annoyed since our fridge was purchased the day we moved into our house - Dec 29, 2004. It isn't old enough to start breaking!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

How ironic, you got that right! Glad it all worked out.

I LOVE melty ice cream, usually I stick my bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds to get it the way I love it.

Good thing you had the service plan! I was looking at Consumer Reports for a new dishwasher recently, and I was surprised that Maytags didn't rate well at all, need lots of maintenance. Six years ago we bought a new one for Dad's house and Maytag was TOPS.

Glad to hear all is settled for your father.