View Poll Results: Based on side effects alone, which drug would you choose?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drug #1

0 0%
  • Drug #2

12 66.67%
  • Other (please post)

6 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which side effects would you prefer?

Which side effects would you prefer?

Doing a little experiment here; all drugs have side effects, of course. If you had to choose between the two below, which is your preference?

Drug #1 Side Effects:

• dry, gaunt, pale skin; more vulnerable to damage and infections
    • poor oral health; halitosis
    • decreased appetite
    • odor over part or all of body
    • respiratory weakening (affects lungs, respiratory system)
    • decreased walking ability
    • high cost, not covered by any plan
    • is carcinogenic
    • medullary depression, neurologic blockade
    • increases in blood pressure, heart rate, blood flow from heart
    • arteries narrow
    • tachycardia, hypertension
    • increased respiratory rate
    • increases age-related blindness
    • alters brain chemicals; changes moods and feelings
    • increased tolerance, dependence

Drug #2 Side Effects:

• abdominal pain
    • appetite changes
    • constipation
    • dizziness
    • drowsiness
    • dry mouth
    • flatulence (passing gas)
    • gingivitis
    • headache
    • heartburn
    • nausea and vomiting
    • rash
    • sleep disturbance (difficulty sleeping or abnormal dreams)
    • unusual tiredness or weakness
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It really depends. What is the medication supposed to treat?

I am lucky in that I rarely experience any side effects from my medications, at least the ones that work. I have a hard time finding an allergy med that actually works, as they keep discontinuing the meds that I discover DO work, but otherwise I know I am fortunate. My Dad and two of my siblings are the opposite - given the exact same medicine, same dosage that I took twice a day for ten years until they stopped manufacture of it, and my sister was basically knocked out for about 18 hours. Even when I was a kid, I remember being 9 years old, and it was August, so Dad (lova ya, Dad!) and I were both struggling to breathe because of ragweed allergies. Dad is 6 feet tall, and a large guy. I was an average - not too tall or short - nine-year-old. We both took a single white Corcidin. Ten minutes later, someone had to lead him by the hand to his recliner, as he was so light-headed, but I felt just fine!

Are the side effects - I know they are "possible" side effects - you list really for two actual medicines?

Hmm one that may be a danger to your life... or one that might make you uncomfortable. Would someone actually lose sleeping choosing between the two??
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Dang!

That reminds me of the 'restless leg syndrome' medicine they advertised on the tube....

It warned of increased urges for sex and gambling-and restless legs?

Sounds like a weekend of dancing and fun in Las Vegas!

-----
    THere ain't no lesser evil in either one of those, it seems!

As a migraine sufferrer, I wouldn't choose # 2.
    I have migraines nearly every day of my life - in spite of being on multiple medications to prevent them.

Wouldn't choose # 1 either.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Interesting poll. When they do the big trials before approval, they give a drug to thousands of people. I think the rule is if even one person shows an adverse affect of any time it has to be disclosed. In a way, this makes it hard to make an informed choice as a patient. Many doctors, when they prescribe a drug to help a patient, will often start with the lowest dose to see if a. it works at that level and b. the person has any trouble with it.

To further confuse the issue, some side effects are "mild and temporary". How long do you let your body get used to the drug?

This is why a good relationship with your physician and pharmacist is so helpful; they can help the patient manage all these questions.

I have a feeling that the side effects listed are for two very common drugs, but couldn't hazard a guess to which.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Not knowing the ailment that these drugs are supposed to treat I guess we are at a disadvantage to answer. Honestly, though, my hubby always says, when watching the drug commercials on TV which list all of their side effects, that he would rather deal with the illness. Of course a life-threatening illness is something else altogether. I am amused by some of the side effects mentioned in these ads, such as one for insomnia...."warning, may cause drowsiness." Ya think?

I voted for #2

You know what commercials I love?

One of the ones for depression... "May increase suicidal thoughts or tendancies"... ERRRR isn't that what it is supposed to prevent?

and one for an asthma inhaler.... "may increase the chances of asthma related death".... WHAT? LOL

So what you are saying is these meds don't work? lol

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Well, it would definitely depend on the situation, the ailment, if I felt it was necessary to treat with a medication. The list of side effects doesn't mean one is going to experience all that. People react differently to different medications and the companies have to list everything that is even a remote possibility for liability reasons. A person can have different reactions and effects herbal supplements and vitamins too, and even the foods you eat. A food that may upset my stomach may have no effect on someone else at all. But food doesn't have to come with a warning that it may cause problems.

And yes, antidepressants and anxiolytics can have a negative effect on certain people. That's why it takes a psychiatrist or doctor to carefully follow a person starting on medication to make sure they find the right med for that individual. But they still all have to put side effect warnings there.

Just think, a can of peanuts at the store doesn't have to put "may cause death" though someone could be deathly allergic to them.

When it comes to drugs, you and the medical provider have to take into consideration what is being treated, how you generally react to medications, and being careful by starting at lower doses depending on the med. It's not really a matter of looking at a list of potential side effects and deciding based on which of those things you'd rather have to suffer.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I'll leave this poll going for another few hours, then say what the two are.

In Cat Health, under Sydney's thread, the drug that was supposed to help Sydney's nausea from the chemo was making her throw up! Medusa added that a med she was supposed to take for nausea while flying listed one of the side effects as "nausea".

Actually, I can understand the initial risk of suicide after beginning antidepressants. I was told by a professional in the last gazillion years or so that people who are depressed are in a pit; extremely unmotivated and lethargic. As the med starts to work, the person may gain the 'energy' to do more things - including suicide, if they have been wanting to do that. That's why counselling needs to go along with the meds, to get the person to the other side of that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Doing a little experiment here; all drugs have side effects, of course. If you had to choose between the two below, which is your preference?

Drug #1 Side Effects:

• dry, gaunt, pale skin; more vulnerable to damage and infections
    • poor oral health; halitosis
    • decreased appetite
    • odor over part or all of body
    • respiratory weakening (affects lungs, respiratory system)
    • decreased walking ability
    • high cost, not covered by any plan
    • is carcinogenic
    • medullary depression, neurologic blockade
    • arteries narrow
    • increases age-related blindness
    • alters brain chemicals; changes moods and feelings
    • increased tolerance, dependence

Drug #2 Side Effects:

• abdominal pain
    • appetite changes
    • constipation
    • dizziness
    • drowsiness
    • dry mouth
    • flatulence (passing gas)
    • gingivitis
    • headache
    • heartburn
    • nausea and vomiting
    • rash
    • sleep disturbance (difficulty sleeping or abnormal dreams)
    • unusual tiredness or weakness
    Hrm...
    -do I want to have bad breath, or lose all my teeth to a gum infection?
    -do I want all over body odor, or do I just want to stink now and then when I fart?
    -decreased appetite or appetite changes (so would I eat more and gain weight?? or would I lose weight???)
    -dry skin or dry mouth?
    -decreased walking ability or tiredness and weakness
    -decreased appetite or nausea and vomiting

They seem to have a lot of things that are the same. And the next to are on the same drug's list, and are just rewording of the same thing:

I think no matter what meds we take these days, they all have crappy side effects.

Okay, here's the scoop:

The first list is of the side effects of smoking and nicotine.

The second is for Champix (Varenicline), a cease-smoking medication with no nicotine.

I did this experiment since a friend of mine who NEEDS to quit smoking for serious health reasons doesn't really WANT to, and often comments about the side effects of the stop smoking medications. She has had bad reactions to some of them...but I thought of sending her the two lists to see what she thinks.

Thanks for being good sports about this.

Just FYI, it's Chantix.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

k9 - interestingly, it's got different names in different countries:

Varenicline (trade name Chantix in the USA and Champix in Europe, Mexico and Canada, manufactured by Pfizer

Has she tried non-medical ways to quit smoking?

Just curious.