Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank God for the ER Vet.....

Thank God for the ER Vet.....

So when I got home from work today everything was normal. Took mister out played ran around. Peed everything normal. THen we came into the house was sitting on the bed watching tv. When all of a sudden mister looked up at me eyes got HUGE and he wasn't breathing. I freaked called the my normal vet he in turn told me to go to my er vet asap. Put mister in the jeep and away we went. They took him right in checked temp and vitails everything was normal. They took an xray nothing showed . The ER vet says he has a healthy body. So after 197.50 at the ER vet and an hour I was told to watch him make sure it doesnt occur again but in a nutshell they dont know why or what caused it. I am beside myself in a slight panic....No sleep for this momma tonight if anyone can think of any reason why it happened or if it has happened to you I would HIGHLY appericate it. Oh and FYI his heart lungs and organs are fine. No broken bones. Just a very worried mamma

Oh my goodness, how scary!! I have no advice for you, but I hope it doesn't happen again. Poor Mister....and mommie!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Very frightening! Glad he seemed to come out of it all on his own. Whew!

Prayers that this NEVER happens again.

Wow...I, too, hope that never happens again...how scary! Can dogs get asthma? or maybe some allergic reaction or something? How weird
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

Very scary. Hope it doesn't happen again.

I know Chi's have collapsing Tracheas. Could his trachea possibly collapsed and he just wasn't able to clear his throat? Did he cough after he couldn't breath? Thats really the only thing I could think. I hope poor Mister is ok. Give him a huge kiss from everyone on pet talk and keep us updated!

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I don't blame you, that would scare the tar outta me too! Hopefully it never happens again. I'm glad to hear he checked out fine and is feeling good now.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

You must have been very frightened. How long was he not breathing for? How was he acting right afterwards? I'm glad to hear that he seems okay now though.

It only lasted a few seconds. Then when he started to breathe again he was shaking more then usaual but semi alert. In the xray all looked good and clear. I told him if it was for attention (I started a new job) then I wouldnt do it again if I were him see where it landed you???
    I think we are in the clear he hasnt done it since I got home from work yesterday night..(keep the prayers and fingers and paws crossed)
    I am going to take him and the xrays to our normal vet later on today so they can have them....thanks everyone for the love it is felt and now I dont feel so crazy......(friends. who are NON dog owners told me I was nuts )
    Thanks a million for all the love I can feel it comming our way ANd I promise to keep everyone updated as I get the info.

Both of my girls have the reverse sneezing thing. Daisy handles it well but Delilah doesn't. She acts exactly like Mister did. It really upset me the first time she did it. Every time she does it now, it's not much easier to tolerate. She freezes and her eys bug out, she gets real stiff and she doesn't breath until she coughs a little. It really scares me to see her like that. I'm betting that that's what happened to Mister.
    Thanks for bringing that up A and M. I agree with you.
    Last edited by Daisy and Delilah; 09-18-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: I can't write a sentence very well.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Memo to ALL:

LEARN Doggy CPR!

The American Red Cross teaches "Pet First Aid" at many local chapters.

Here's a self-study CPR site >>>

http://www.dog-first-aid-101.com/dog-cpr.html

But remember - do NOT practice the "Chest Compressions" on you dog!
    Last edited by Cinder & Smoke; 09-18-2008 at 07:00 AM.

I know Pet CPR i took a class but when your alone with a small dog panic sets in not oh i took a class. And when I picked him up to take him to the phone to call the vet he started again...
    PS I didnt need to be "yelled" at with the bold and caps thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chiwawa View Post

PS I didnt need to be "yelled" at with the bold and caps thanks
    "you" weren't being *yelled* at ...
    my post was directed to "all" pet owners.

What a scary story but thankfully it seems that the crisis has passed (and hopefully will never return!) Please give that sweetheart a kiss from all of us. Both of my dogs do the reverse sneezing. I always thought it was possibly allergy-related but, whatever the cause, it is agonizing to watch at times.

P.S. Sometimes caps are interpreted as shouting so I very rarely use them. I know Phred meant well. (Thanks for editing your post Phred. )

My dachshund has always had the reverse sneezing and I never really considered it a collapsed trachea! My vet has never said anything about it being that either. Betina (my chi) also does it at times but again she doesn't seem to stop breathing! This must have been very scary for you!

I think I need to do more research on this condition!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!