Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCMP in B.C. search for suspect after four-month-old puppy fatally shot UPDATE #10

RCMP in B.C. search for suspect after four-month-old puppy fatally shot UPDATE #10

RIP sweet puppy...the police caught one of your killers, and I'd like to bring some friends to help him spill the beans on where his buddy is!
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...ional/dog_shot

RCMP in B.C. search for suspect after four-month-old puppy fatally shot

2 hours, 32 minutes ago

By The Canadian Press

QUADRA ISLAND, B.C. - A man who lives near Campbell River says his two children are distraught after finding their puppy shot to death after he ran to greet two men as they walked past the family's home.

Nick Rose said Monday he was in his yard cutting firewood with his 12-year-old son Saturday morning when two men who had apparently been hunting went by.

Rose said the four-month-old Jack Russell terrier ran toward the men as they walked down the road and he heard a shot as the hunters rounded the corner. The father and children ran to check on the dog and found him dying.

He said his son and his 14-year-old daughter were extremely upset and that he had to restrain the boy from trying to attack one of the men.

Rose said his young son was particularly distressed because he has just completed treatment for a brain tumour and the puppy was a replacement for another dog that had been put to sleep.

Chris Rose, the boy's grandfather, said the family, in particular his grandson, is upset over the puppy's violent death.

"Naturally, the whole family is just upset - tears and crying on the street. It was just awful," said the grandfather. "In particular my grandson, who, I should add, four years ago had brain surgery for cancer."

The grandfather said he believed the puppy was hit with a single shotgun blast at close range.

Quadra Island RCMP said charges of dangerous use of a firearm and endangering an animal are being considered.

Cpl. Craig Peterson said RCMP have obtained witness statements and one of the two hunters is believed to have left Quadra Island and is believed to be living in the Victoria area.
    Last edited by Catty1; 09-17-2008 at 11:02 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I don't even know what to say. Senseless. This young boy, if he grows up given his brain cancer history, is liable to grow up w/a skewed sense of justice. Tragic. Absolutely tragic.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

OMG...how could something like this happen in broad daylight? Made me teary just to picture the poor pup, running happily one minute and being hit the next....

This is so sad. This happened about 2 miles from my house. I know Nick, he works at our local hardware store. I don't know him, know him but I've talked with him quite a few times when we were in there every day when we were reroofing our house. He once came up and petted Tiger when we were in the ferry line up. I was upset because the ferry was full and Tiger was in poor shape and we couldn't get on. Super nice guy. So much has happened with that family, it is so awful that they have now lost their dog. I just called my boss because she grew up here and knows everyone (small island) and she said that she knows of the guys who did this. She said they are the sons of a man who lives here but she doesn't think they live here anymore. They come and hunt here every now and then. We have alot of deer and some wolves here that people come and hunt.
    Anyway, this could all be rumour at this point. From what I gather, people have made reports to the police about the boys and Nick knows who they are. I think they are in their late 20's. I'll know more in a few days. In the meantime Nick wrote a letter on our local webzine and it is below The puppy's name was Seymour.
    Everyone has dogs here and it is a very safe place with hardly any crime whatsoever. I have heard of dogs being shot if they are caught running the deer but nothing like this. So sad.

This is the letter that Nick wrote to fellow islanders:
    Nick's letter

Here are three pics of Seymour:

Last edited by Emeraldgreen; 09-15-2008 at 11:54 PM.

So someone can just walk through a residential area w/a fully loaded shotgun? It's bad enough that he shot the dog but it's horrific that the kids had to see their dog w/his head partially blown off and in its death throes. That picture will remain w/them forever. If there's any justice in this world, that guy will be caught and prosecuted.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I hope both these guys get a FULL psychiatric assessment...and drag that sociopath dad in with them as well!

Victoria restaurateur offers $500 to replace boy's puppy shot by hunter

The hunter has turned himself in. He says it was an ACCIDENT??? Shouldn't be carrying loaded shotguns in a residential area in ANY case. That guy's BIRTH was an accident!
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...nal/puppy_shot

Victoria restaurateur offers $500 to replace boy's puppy shot by hunter

Tue Sep 16, 9:06 PM

By The Canadian Press

VICTORIA - A Victoria businessman has donated $500 to get a B.C. boy a new puppy after the child's dog was shot by a hunter.

The Jack Russell terrier had belonged to 12-year-old Max Rose on Quadra Island, near Campbell River on Vancouver Island. Bill Lang says when he heard the dog had been killed last weekend he wanted to do something about it and contacted the Rose family.

He says the breeder of the original dog has another similar puppy for the Quadra Island family, and the donation from Lang and his wife will cover the costs.

The puppy replaced another dog that had helped the boy while he recovered from a brain tumour.

The hunter turned himself in to police, reportedly telling police the shooting was an accident. The Crown is weighing charges in the case.

Is it not illegal in Canada to carry a loaded firearm in public? If so, surely they'll prosecute him for that as well.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I really shouldn't read posts such as this - sooo upsetting. I hope these ba$tads get what they deserve - and then some!! That poor family - they have been thru so much. I hope that they will be safe, since one of the individuals that shot the dog, caused trouble with the family in the past. I would be fearful of my own safety as well as that of my family. How tragic to have to live that way.

Breeder offers Quadra Island boy new puppy

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/08091..._puppy_breeder

Breeder offers Quadra Island boy new puppy

Wed Sep 17, 11:05 AM

VANCOUVER (CBC) - A Surrey, B.C., dog breeder is offering another puppy to the 12-year-old Quadra Island boy whose Jack Russell terrier was shot and killed last Saturday.

A Surrey, B.C., dog breeder is offering another puppy to the 12-year-old Quadra Island boy whose Jack Russell terrier was shot and killed last Saturday.

Just three weeks ago, Lois Clough had sold the 14-week-old terrier to the family of Max Rose. Clough said she was appalled when she heard the puppy had been shot on Saturday morning.

"As soon as I heard about it, I knew right away he was going to have another one of my terriers and money wasn't the issue. He needed to have one and he needed to have one when he was ready," said Clough.

The dog, Seymour, was bought to lift the spirits of Max as he recovers from treatment for brain cancer. The puppy was also a replacement for another dog that had recently died.

"I have sent them photos of puppies, and when they are ready to pick out, they are going to," said Clough.

Nick Rose said the support they've received since his son's dog was shot has been overwhelming.

"We've had so many people offering puppies, offering help," said Rose on Tuesday.

Neighbours on Quadra Island are also collecting money to help the Rose family pay off the loan they originally took out to buy Seymour. A Jack Russell terrier puppy can cost upward of $1,000.

Seymour was killed on Saturday morning after he wandered off the family's rural property to follow a pair of men who appeared to be hunting as they walked past and down the road.

A short time later Rose and his son heard a gunshot and ran to the road to find the men standing next to the quivering body of the dog.

On Monday night, a 31-year-old man turned himself in to Westshore RCMP and told police shooting the dog was an accident, Cpl. Craig Peterson told CBC News.

Quadra Island RCMP are recommending that Cody Wellard, 31, be charged with careless use of a firearm and endangering an animal, said Peterson.

I'm at work so will post a quick note but I heard from another islander today that the new puppy is arriving by helicopter today from the breeder. Was supposed to get here around noon.

I ran into Nick's daughter after work and asked her if the puppy had arrived. She looked really happy and said that he had. I asked her what they had named him and she said 'Leo'.
    Nothing will bring back Seymour but hopefully this new puppy will help them heal.
    The local b.c. news was just on and the story came on about the new puppy. I grabbed my camera to film it and my batteries died after a few seconds and then once I changed those, my digital photo card said it was full!! So the film is broken up but you can see the new puppy arriving. It's rather grainy because I had the camera too close to the tv.
    At the end, the news showed two pics of Cody Wellard, the guy who shot Seymour.
    I don't know if this was already mentioned in this thread but unbelievably, this guy has a dog and it's a Jack Russell!!! The news crew went to his house in Victoria and his dog 'Ebay' was barking in the window and Cody would not come to the door.
    Here is the footage of the new puppy. I'll see if I can get a better clip of it when it re-airs at 11:00p.m.

Leo the new pup:

I think the only accident that took place is Wellard's birth.

The puppy is adorable and I sure do hope that the family has many good years w/Leo and that now they'll be on the road to healing. Bless the person who donated Leo.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Here's a pic of Leo, the new puppy, with breeder Lois Clough. Puppy cuteness can bring a bit of light into any darkness.

Please pray for the healing and safety of the Rose family - details in the article below (BTW, I believe the police went to the house and removed all the firearms).

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...d-5d909c41aab8

Family fears for safety after puppy shot dead
    Boy, 12, recovering from brain cancer, devastated by killing
    Suzanne Fournier, The Province
    Published: Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Quadra Island family is "traumatized" by the deliberate shooting of their Jack Russell puppy who brought joy and comfort to 12-year-old cancer survivor Max Rose.

Max's mother Sue Rose is concerned because the alleged shooter's father lives nearby and had more than 20 firearms.

Max's father Nick Rose said the puppy was shot in a "horrific act of cowardice" on Saturday morning right outside their rural home.

He said it was "an act of revenge" that left his family "distraught and sobbing by the side of the road."

"My poor boy had to be physically restrained because he wanted to go get the guy who killed his puppy, armed only with a pair of blunt scissors," said Rose, whose son Max is recovering from brain cancer.

"I wonder if this big man with a gun would have stood up to a 12-year-old cancer survivor with tears in his eyes and a pair of blunt scissors."

Nick said he and Max were cutting firewood when their "friendly little furball ran out to say hi" to two hunters coming from a nearby woodlot, carrying guns that were not "broken" in a disarmed position.

There was a loud shotgun blast.

"I ran around the bush to find to my horror and shock our 16-week-old terrier, his legs quivering in death throes and his head partly blown off," said Nick, who screamed in horror at the shooter, who he recognized as the man who crashed a Rose family party four years ago.

"You can imagine the horror and pain I felt, but it was outweighed a thousandfold by the pain I feel for my children at having to witness this crime."

He said the two men ran to a nearby home.

Max said yesterday he loved his puppy Seymour who was "really friendly" and was helping him forget the dog he'd lost only three weeks ago -- Speedy, who was Seymour's older brother.

Speedy had to be put down after glaucoma and an injury left him blind.

Nick said Seymour had "my kids laughing and smiling again, like they hadn't done since before our son was diagnosed with cancer."

Max said shyly that his school offered a counsellor, "but I didn't want to talk. I want this man to be put in jail for the rest of his life for what he did to my puppy. All day people at school said they were sorry my puppy got shot, but I'm still really upset."

Max's mom said the alleged shooter's family lives nearby "and now my children don't feel safe in their own home."

"I don't think this family will do anything to us, but when a puppy is shot right outside your home, and you know this family has dozens of guns, it does make you worry."

Nick Rose, who works for a building supply company on Quadra Island, said that "not 10 minutes after the crime, [B]the father of this[/B] fine upstanding individual showed up at our home. This family is bad news, just white trash."

"He said, 'Big deal. So my son shot a dog and it just had to be your dog -- here, take my mutt,' and then he tried to remove Seymour's body."

Nick said he thinks the alleged shooter was "carrying a grudge" because he was charged by police after crashing Nick's 40th birthday party. "They were groping women and making racial slurs against natives," said Nick, who threw the two men off the property.

When Nick accompanied a female guest to her car, he says the two jumped him and a fight broke out, with one of them holding Nick down and biting him in the face until neighbours came to the rescue.

One of the gatecrashers suffered a broken leg in the fracas; neither of them was convicted.

Quadra Island RCMP Cpl. Craig Peterson confirmed that the two hunters left the island before police could talk to them but that one of them, the alleged shooter, phoned from Greater Victoria and promised to turn himself in.

"He hasn't done so yet but he knows we'll put out a warrant for his arrest as soon as we get charge approval," said Peterson, who said he is waiting for Crown counsel to approve charges of dangerous use of a firearm and endangering an animal.

"We're taking this incident very seriously and the perpetrator could go to jail," said Peterson.

RCMP confiscated more than 20 weapons, but Peterson said they were all legal hunting firearms and wouldn't confirm where they were seized.

Peterson said police have spoken to Cody Wellard and are hoping he will turn himself in.

[email protected]

© The Vancouver Province 2008