Thread: Hepl Needed!

Hepl Needed!

Hi there!

I haven't been coming here for a long time but I need your help. My 11 months old american cocker spaniel Bemol is giving me trouble again.

I've just moved to a new appartment (yes, another time) and he was doing good. One day, I left him a little bit too long alone and he peed and poo on the carpet in the living room. I didn't say anything, it was done and I knew it was part my fault.

Now, he does that everyday. Even when I'm home. He wakes up in the morning, goes to the living room, pees and then come back in bed. I saw him once and I was really angry. I yelled at him "NO".

More than that, he just broke the carpet in the middle of the living room. I don't know what I'm gonna tell to the appartment owner to explain that (if you have any ideas....). I just told him the dog was fine and now look what I'm into...

Yesterday, I put him in the crate again. Is it the right thing to do? I can't trust him anymore... Should I crate him even in the night?

I don't kow what to do... Please help. I wan't to keep my dog, he's the only thing I have now (I moved because I broke up with my boyfriend...).

Thanks for helping me to find a solution.
    Bemol's mom
    Bemol's mom

Confusing signals have created this problem. The dog does not realize now that carpets are a no. You need to back up and redo the housetraining scenerio all over again. If you did this by crate training then go back to the crate. If you didn't the first time around then do what you did then. Make sure you give lots of praise and excitement to the dog when it goes outside. Only correct the dog inside if you see him going. After the fact is useless punishment. To correct the dog just give a firm No and take him promply outside and tell him "Go Potty". There are many past threads on house training techniques if you do a search.

I personally find the crate to be the quickest way to teach the dog the right way to potty.

As far as crating at night, I probably wouldn't but would close the bedroom door so the dog could not get up and leave the room whenever the urge to pee hits.

Dixieland has great advice. Another suggestion is to also give him a little more attention & excersize. He needs it now just like you probably do.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.