Thread: Okapi Found in Africa

Okapi Found in Africa

"The Okapi (Okapia johnstoni) is a mammal native to the Ituri Rainforest, located in the northeast of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in central Africa. Although the Okapi bears striped markings reminiscent of the zebra, it is most closely related to the giraffe."

Is this not the coolest thing? I wrote about it on my companies website. There's a picture of what an Okapi looks like. It was just recently found.

http://www.ratinghq.com/5-897/okapi.html
    There is no such thing as failure, just learning experiences.

It is proper to give a source (Wikipedia) for the text you quote. We have seen them in zoos, I am glad they still exist in the wild. They are notoriously shy, so it's a good thing when they aren't seen, but are out there.

Cute critter. It looks like a little kids drawing.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

One of my earliest memories is actually looking at an okapi at the Brookfield Zoo. I also chose to do my 8th grade report on the okapi. Did you know they weren't discovered by European until the early 1800s? Scientists called them forest zebras because they usually saw them retreating from the back. Those sightings and skins were all they had for a while to recognize them.

How come it says Jonboy1785 posted the okapi entry?

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It is proper to give a source (Wikipedia) for the text you quote.
    It's also called plagarism when you don't cite your source documents(whether they be digital, hardcopy, fiche or whatnot), and is punishable by law. Cite all sources, where ever you obtain your information. When you paraphrase or whatever. Cite, cite, cite!

Purdue University has OWL (Online Writing Lab) that has examples for all the various examples of citing you may ever need to know (MLA, APA and various other ways that documents may be required to do their documentation).