Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afraid of my Dog??

Afraid of my Dog??

The other day I accidently left the gate open, and my dog ran out (and you know Lady is a GSD). So my neighbor was backing out of the driveway and all of a sudden, he saw her and drove back. Then he ran across the street with Lady following, until he got to my house, where I was standing calling her. He told me I had a big dog and that a lot of the people in the neighborhood are scared of her. Now, I sort of think it is an insult because the people don't even know her, and they don't even know how nice she is. But then again I sort of think of it as a compliment because then Lady is known as the big dog of the block and nobody will ever try to come in my house and steal anything. But then again it is an insult because especially with September 11 coming up, people should respect dogs for how brave they were and how many people they helped. What do you think?? Oh, and by the way, my next door neighbors have four little devilish kids and they're all under the age of ten, and they scream and run away when they hear Lady barking.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

A loose big dog can be intimidating to anybody, even the most ardent animal lovers, unless of course they personally know the dog and that it is friendly. My advice is to go on walks with Lady and let her meet and greet the neighbors. Once they get to know that she is friendly and will not harm them, you will find the attitude of the neighbors to be dramatically different. I certainly wouldn't take offense at your neighbor coming over to voice his concern. After all you know Lady's demeanor. He doesn't.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I admit that I would not like to see a loose GSD running around in my neighborhood either. Yours may be nice, but they are a very protective breed, and often tend to be aggressive, if in the wrong hands, which, unfortunately is most often the case.

As much as I love dogs, and GSD's, I would be afraid of a GSD that I did not know very well, running around my neighborhood. Why risk it and assume that such a large dog is friendly? I don't blame your neighbor for playing it safe and stearing clear of your dog.

Just my honest opinion.

Re: Afraid of my Dog??

I might be off here, but
    maybe your neighbor just said
    that as a pre-caution to be
    more careful, and maybe he was a bit
    irratated. I would just be thankful that
    he took the time to get lady.
    I would not let it bother you, especially since you
    know how sweet she is.

----<---<--<{(@

There is a big white dog next door. He is so sweet looking. He is so fluffy he looks like a big scary dog who is nice at heart. When they first got him we all weren't scared of him. But we soon found out how teritorial he is. Just the other night he chases me and my friend into the street and I thought I was going to have to fight him. So ever since then any big dog who enters the neighborhood me or my neighbor will go down and ask them to please take there dog around the houses to show everyone he is nice or else everyone will dis liek the owners and stuff. And alot of times I will walk with them and the dog is so sweet. I would take the advice that Rachele said. Take Lady around let everyone met her. It helps out alot. One day when there are alot of people out in there yards just walk up and be like Hi this is my dog lady, how are you today? We did that with Sadie may because we foudn out alot of my neighbors thought she was a pit bull LOL. So we introduced her and people wil walk out in the streets just to say hi to her now when before they picked up there kids ran in side as fast as they could and locked the door. A little introduction can go a long way.

Ash

PS: People are scared of Teddy (our sheltie) when he runs away, although we did inform all the neighbors not to touch him or go after him as he will bit a starnger when he feel threatned.
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

This here is a story of how the media plays a big role in. They make big deals out of big dogs so people imediately think of them as being mean or aggressive. I'm cautious of big dogs, medium dogs and little dogs. All can be equally aggressive but because breeds such as GSD's APBT's and AmStaffs have muscular bodies and are very powerful, they could do muhc more damage then any Yorkie could do.

Befor i start saying stuff i regret, i'm just going to press "Submit Reply".

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Actually my friend and I were just talking about this at work the toher day. My dogs are fairly big (50+ lbs) and she has two GSD and one good size mix. All the dogs are super freindly and would never hurt anyone. But becuase they are big, they are scary to some people. And yes, if you don't know the dog I can understand why. But, as KayAnn said, little dogs can be just as mean. My friends parents have a chiuhuahua that doesn't like many people. No one thinks of a cute little chi or poodle as mean, and most aren't, but I have met more mean "toy" size dogs then I have big dogs. Maybe I have just been lucky to not meet a lot of mean dogs at all.
    I think in general, whatever size dog you have, do the best you can to keep it solicalized with dogs and people, let people know your dog is friendly, if you can. And although dogs get out accidently (mine have too), keep them on a leash other times. I have seen too many people let the dogs run loose and are schocked when you don't like them running up to your dog, not knowing how either dog will
    behave. My dogs love other dogs, but not all dogs do.

Aas a result of our dissucsion at work we thought may it would be a good idea to carry a water bottle when taking walks. Many people use this to correct their dogs. we thought it may be better used to correct owners And I don't mean the one whose dogs accidently get out, but the ones who knowingly let their dogs run lose or don't seem to care when you bring their dog home from 3 blocks away...Can you imagine spraying someone who is letting their dog run down the street a head of them, "Bad Owner" Squirt, Squirt

Cincy`sMom - I was going to post on this thread earlier but now I`m glad I didn`t. You have said everthing I wanted to say - but in a much much better way
    And can I imagine doing the "Bad Owner" squirt, squirt? Oh Yes. And loving it!

I would be scared too. I'm a big dog lover and I grew up with Chows, but the other day there was a dog loose in my front yard and I was scared to approach it. I finally walked outside because I wanted to see if it had tags on it. The dog turned out to be really friendly, but I remember how scared I was when I was walking up to it especially since I'd never seen him before. Luckily after a few mintues his owner found him playing with me in my yard.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I always try to be cautious of strange dogs too. I'm not *afraid* of dogs, but I know what dogs can do. Dogs came from wolves, who were built to be predators...any dog, big or small, can do some pretty serious damage. I know a lot of people are more afraid of "big" dogs. I've met more "little" dogs who would snap at your hand then "big" dogs. Usually when people have met my dogs (before I got Nebo) they always think Smokey is a girl...and nice. They are always afraid of Reggie. Reggie's actually nicer then Smokey, although not normally to friendly to strangers at first. Ever notice that people are more afraid of boy dogs then girl dogs? I heard some kids talking about the dog behind us...it was quite amusing....they were saying how mean it was and that they hated it. Then they looked at it, and one kid said "No wait, it doesn't have that long thing! It must be a girl! Maybe it isn't mean!" lol

I have neighbor issues myself. I felt bad the other day. I was taking Nebo to go to Melissa's house to play with Lady. Since Melissa doesn't have a fenced yard, I had him on a 20 ft lead so that they can play. I was trying to unlock my car, when the kids next door (same ones who were throwing rocks at the dog behind us) said "doggy!" and came running over. It was just the girl and she had her little baby brother with her. I said "He's very hyper right now, and he will probably jump on you, so watch out!" Before I could go and hold him down so he wouldn't jump, they went up to him...he jumped on the little boy who immediately began screaming like he'd just been killed. He didn't even knock him over. They ran back into their garage and I could hear their mom just screaming at them. Stuff like "Don't go near any dogs, all dogs are mean, it could have bit him in the face! etc. etc. etc." Nebo's not mean, he's just a puppy...a jumpy, hyper, bitey puppy...

I guess because I own a wolf hybrid, I am not really afraid of big dogs. However, I do assume that any dog, big or small, may be a dangerous dog.

I don't think it has anything to do with your dog in particular, Floppsy, but size can be intimedating!

I agree with everyone, don't take it as an insult because the neighbours don't know your dog! They don't know that she is as sweet as pie. Big or Small any dog can do damage.

Some people can't help it. My mom is deathly afraid of big dogs. SHe was attacked by a chow as a kid, and has never gotten over it. She is TERRIFIED! When she got a new neighbor who had a huge Rottie, she FREAKED OUT. She was literally TERRIFIED. He brought the dog to her door one day to get to know her better, and she slammed the door in his face, lol. She can't get used to them, she is terrified and wants nothing to do with them. It doesn't help that she is not an animal person at all anyway.

I think people have a right to NOT like dogs, big dogs, whatever. They don't have a responsibility to get to know your dog. I'm sorry, but as a dog owner YOU have a responsibility to keep your dog in your fenced yard or on a leash, under your control at all times. I would not want to be terrorized with something I fear in my own yard, and they have the same right. (For me, it is snakes. lol).

I am not afraid of dogs at all. I'll confront any stray dog with a gentle hand and baby talk, and I've never had one even begin to attack. I also have 2 big dogs. Some people like them and others don't, and that's ok. Nothing to be offended about.

I find myself thinking that all dogs are gentle, I am surprised that I do not get bit for how many strays I approach to try and help them.

There is a littel Chiwawa (I knwo that si spelled wrong but you get eht jiff) who runs around our neighborhood. I am scared to aproach it. All the Chiwawa's I have met haev been mean little things! i know nto all are, tis usally the owner, and some toys have temperments!
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka