Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afraid of my Dog??

Originally posted by popcornbird
    If I saw a dog running towards me, or any dog running unleashed, freely, I would jump, scream, and run for my life!
    I understand what you are trying to say Popcorn and you do not have to like dogs. But please , do not run away esp. screaming! That will encourage the dog to follow. If it is a friendly dog, it will think you are playing and chase the big squeky toy! And if the dog is not friendly it will probablly sense your fear and think it a threat.
    I never try to force my dogs on anyone. If they comment on them I will ask if they would like to pet them and if they say no, that is fine. I am not offended. And I appreciate it if people ask first if then can pet them or if their dog can play. Of course, I say yes, but it nice to have the warning. I always try to remember to do the same!

About 3 weeks after we got Malone, I was walking with him down the trail...Malone was ahead of me in full view. All of a sudden I heard "dog jingles" BEHIND me. I turned around to see a HUGE dog (OK so it seemed extra big that day) and I'm not great with breeds but to kind of describe...a rottie with brindled fur. And I love dogs, but I was really scared. Because it was me, my 12 week old puppy, and nobody to call the other dog off. He stood over Malone, kind of bared his teeth at me--not much, just enough to tell me who was boss. I was trying so hard to remember what I learned--don't look them in the eye, and don't run, etc. etc. I managed to swoop Malone up in my arms (glad he was only like 17 pounds!) and started to walk. As I told my husband later, I really didn't have time to find out if he was a friendly dog or not, and I wanted Malone's first experience w/another dog to be a positive one. I just kept shouting GO HOME. He stayed literally under my feet for 1/4 mile, and then just stopped. I prayed the whole time that he wouldn't chase me when I put Malone down again. Chances are he was a VERY friendly dog, that I didn't understand him, but it's very easy to feel intimidated when an intimidating dog trys to intimidate you.

My husband gets so mad at me, but if an intimidating dog comes up to me I say "Aw, c'mere sweety. You're so pretty, what's your name *kiss, kiss, kiss" in a really high-pitched lovey-dovey tone. And I extend my hand toward them to smell.

If the dog still acts aggressive, better steer clear to be on the safe side. But usually, they come walking up to me and lick my hand.

A stray rottie that chased my husband in the house fell for this, and we were outside cuddling 2 minutes later.