Thread: Laptop

Laptop

I have decided to buy myself a laptop. Our computer is rather old and hubby is always on it. Any advice from laptop owners would be greatly appreciated.

I have an IBM thinkpad currently. It doesn't handle super large files (One, for example, would not be able to play a space consuming game) but it is definitely reliable for every day use. PTs own DJ Fyrewolf builds and sells computers, she'd be a great person to ask!

Make sure you get a high speed. I bought both a desktop and a laptop 3 years back. Goofed and the laptop is S O S L O W.

You might want to get you a mouse to attach to it too. Sometime the touchpads can be very sensitive. Before we got a mouse for ours, I always ended up clicking on the wrong things

I had a Toshiba I bought in the late 90's and far as I know, it is still up and running, it was so good that I bought another one and have been really pleased with it. I just use it to take to the boat with me, don't use it when I am home. I found the touch pad waaaaaaay to sensitive so I bought a mini mouse to use with it and that works out wonderfully for me.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Toshiba's customer service STINKS. When the AC/DC adapter went bad on my 3 MO laptop, they wanted to put a $40 (I think) charge on a credit card to send me a new one under the warranty! 2 weeks later they wanted me to send the WHOLE computer back for a new adapter. I refused, told them I'd NEVER buy Toshiba again, ordered an adapter from eBay, and was back on the air 2 days later. Toshiba!!!!

I've had a macbook for a year and a half now, and I've never had any problems with it, ever. Ok, well, I filled up the memory on it but I have a LOT on it. Also, if you let it go past the "reserve battery" message until you run out of battery, it has to site quite a while before it comes to life again, but other than that I've never had any problems at all with it. It starts up really quick.

Niño & Eliza

I also use a MacBook and it has served me very well. I have had no problems with it whatsoever (so far).
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

I just bought a MacBook which I like very much except it will not let me sign on to PetTalk. I was planning on getting a Dell but then comparing price and functionality -- I went with the Mac.

I'd never buy a Dell anything again. When I got this cpu I specifically asked several of the online sales people if I could get software tech support. They all emphatically said YES but that it would cost me an additional $100. I'm like ok, so I paid the additional $$, my invoice simply said 'telephone tech support'. So the first time I ran into a software problem with the OS I call. I get told the additional money I paid out was ONLY for HARDWARE support. If I wanted software support I could call a number, give my credit card, and get help via a per minute charge!!!

I've never had problems like that with the old Gateway I had for years, and believe it or not STILL has software support on a Win. 98!! They never give me static and have always been helpful, even if I can't always quite understand the accent of the tech person. lol

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I would never buy a dell. Every single experience I've had with one has been bad, and people I know have had similar bad experiences with them.

Niño & Eliza