Thread: Britain`s oldest living dog

Britain`s oldest living dog

Britain's oldest living dog
    September 01, 2002

LONDON: Bramble the collie could be going walkies into the record books – after reaching the remarkable age of 27.

That's the equivalent of living to 189 in human terms and may make her the oldest dog in Britain.

Despite her advanced years and a touch of arthritis Bramble is still alert and active. She is taken for a walk four times a day and goes swimming once a week.

Her 43-year-old owner Anne Heritage is a vegan and has brought up her beloved pet on the same diet regime she herself follows.

"She has a big bowl of rice, lentils and organic vegetables every evening," she said at her home in Bridgewater, Somerset. "She's an inspiration and just goes to show that if you do eat the right things and keep on exercising, you can extend your life." Bramble is taken for her walks in a local park by Miss Heritage's 47-year-old partner Roy Franklin.

But last year, vets warned the couple that the collie might have to be put down amid fears that she would be left paralysed after injuring her back in a fall. However, after starting weekly swimming sessions at a canine hydrotherapy pool in Stolford, near Bridgewater, Bramble recovered and developed a taste for taking the plunge.

Now Mr Franklin dons a wetsuit to take her for a half-hour dip every Friday.

"We feared we'd lose her, but the pool sessions were a real miracle worker," said Miss Heritage.

She got Bramble from a rescue centre in New Quay, West Wales, in February 1977, just before the dog's second birthday.

"The day after we brought her home, the kennels flooded and the other dogs drowned so she's been incredibly lucky," said Miss Heritage.

The world's longest-lived canine was an Australian cattle dog called Bluey, who died aged 29 years and five months in 1939.

Sunday Telegraph

Re: Britain`s oldest living dog

That is amazing!!!

----<---<--<{(@

Wow, so do you think the food really helped the dog live to 27? Or is it just lucky?

Well, that is AMAZING and wonderful!!! I'm sure the diet and regular exercise has helped, but surely this is a stroke of luck! There are many dogs that have been well cared for and haven't lived nearly that long! What a wonderful story!!

That is amazing! I wonder what else is on the menu at Bramble's home. If Drake could like for 27 years? What fun we would all have!

Tank you for sharing the story. I am going to search for a picture of this Bramble

My brother's dog was just sent off to Rainbow Bridge. They estimate his age to have been around 25 years old. I met him for the first time 25 years ago when they rescued him as a pup. It was unbelievealble that he lived so long. He was a shepherd mix.

Wow, it's amazing, isn't it!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Wow, Sue! What kind of dog was he? Do you have a picture?
    I am very sorry for your brother's loss.

Wow, Sue!!! What a lifelong companion, literally, that was!! I'm sorry for his loss, but what a blessing to have had the dog for so long!!!

wow, that's an old dog, incredible.

WOW!
    My pets are usually pleased with what I do, because they are not inflected with the concept of what I SHOULD be doing. My time is owned by: Missie,Thor, and Trinity!

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it myself. They had him when they first got married and they just celebrated their 25th anniversary. I will e-mail my brother and see if he has a picture to send me. Unbelieveable that a dog could live so long. They must have been doing something right. His name was Burt.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

wow! that is s amazing for both dogs. and i thought my mom's dog lived a long life. well, i can't complain...18 is still pretty good.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road