Thread: Hermes Off to Vets Tomorrow Tail Checked Out & Athena Coughing after Drinking?Advice?

Hermes Off to Vets Tomorrow Tail Checked Out & Athena Coughing after Drinking?Advice?

Probably less than a month ago Hermes developed a rash or something on his tail and it didn't seem to bother him and so we've been keeping an eye on it to make sure it didn't spread. Well over the past 2 weeks or so I've noticed him biting at his tail and I checked it the other day and I think it's been spreading.

So of course I called the vets (which I feel bad about doing since I owe them money but they have my post dated checks at their office but I just still feel bad but what can you do sometimes) and they can see him tomorrow at 10:15 a.m. so Hermes and I will be going to the vets.

The other thing is last night I was talking to my husband about when Hermes vet appointment is and he said he thinks I need to take in Athena too because she's been coughing after she gets a drink. He gives her water from the bath tub facuet and she goes to town and I forget to do it when I'm in there with her. Unless she's meowing for it then I give it to her. I noticed a while back that she could cough after drinking which seemed weird, considering most of my cats drink out of the facuet and they never cough after words.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with any of your cats.

I'm probably just going to call the vets and see if I can bring in both the cats just to get them checked out.

Thanks for any advice,
    Melissa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	June 29 (7).JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	40244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April 5 2008 (3).JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	40245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 19-20 2008 (5).JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	40246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	June 29 (5).JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	40247  

BEST WISHES TO HERMES AND ATHENA, AND WE PRAY THAT THEY WILL BE ALL RIGHT AFTER THIER TRIP TO THE WHITE COATS!!!!
    I KNOW THAT MICHAEL THE DREAM AND JUKE JOINT JOSEPH
    ARE SENDING THIER PRAYERS THAT ALL IS WELL!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I just called the vets and they said that I can bring in Athena as well.

I hate to rack up that much more of a vet bill but we'll see. I'm going to make sure I left Athena drink out of the facuet tonight to see if she starts coughing afterwards or not and if not then maybe I'll hold off on the vets.

She's eatting well, actually probably too well and she's running around the house with Osiris like crazy so we'll see....either way though Hermes will be going for sure to get his tale checked out to see what's up with his skin..he's such my sensitive baby.

Melissa

Aroara coughs, well it sort of sounds a little more like choking, after she drinks. She drinks out of a bowl not a faucet though. She's done this since she was a little kitten. I've asked the vet about it, and he said that some cats do that and didn't know why. I think it is because sometimes she drinks so fast. It's like she's a great dane drinking of something. Some have suggested putting something in the bowl to slow her down, but I haven't done it. She doesn't vomit or anything, just hacks for a brief time.

I'll ask my husband if she sounds like she's choking.

I think that's what it is. She just gets too excitied or something, I'm not really sure.

My husband tried to get her to do it last night in front of me and of course she didn't but at least the vet said it was ok to bring in another if I have to but I'm hoping I don't have to.

Thanks for your imput.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    Aroara coughs, well it sort of sounds a little more like choking, after she drinks. She drinks out of a bowl not a faucet though. She's done this since she was a little kitten. I've asked the vet about it, and he said that some cats do that and didn't know why. I think it is because sometimes she drinks so fast. It's like she's a great dane drinking of something. Some have suggested putting something in the bowl to slow her down, but I haven't done it. She doesn't vomit or anything, just hacks for a brief time.

Well I got back from the vets Saturday morning after taking in Hermes and he has Tail Gland Hyperplasia. She gaves us some shampoo at not cost since it was experied but I tried to bath him last night and it did not go well at all.

So I'm thinking it might be more helpful for him and cause him less stress if we just trim the hair that's infected.

I hate to do that but I can't see putting him through what I did last night. Plus he has herpies as well and he gets very excited easily if you are holding him down or anything and I don't want his herpes to flair up because of this.

You should of seen how skinny he looked with his fur all wet it was crazy.

Well gotta go,
    Melissa

Well I could just see me bathing one of my babies.. MayBe Not!! Well hope all goes well & the Healing to begin.. Sending Lots of Whisker Huggss & Prayers..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Well if I understand what Tail Gland Hyperplasia is correctly, then it's caused by a gland and the shampoo is probably an antibiotic or clorahexadine (sp?) shampoo to help prevent infection.

Shaving the hair would probably help, but the shampoo, and neutering, would help more.

If he won't allow a full bath, try just getting a good soppy washcloth with the soap on it and try a tail bath. It might be less upsetting to your kitty than being in a tub of water.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

He is neutered and the vet thought that was weird that he has tail glad hyperplasia.

The vet just told me that I need to make sure that I have a shampoo that has Benzoyl Peroxide in it.

I tried just to get the bottom of his tail but it didn't work very well since I had him in the tub and left him sorta walk around so his tail was dragging and then I needed to just wash the rest of him with water to make sure he didn't have it somewhere else I didn't see.

The vet said we could shave him but she suggested doing the shampoo I think so he wouldn't look as funny.

But I think we might just try to shave it this Friday and that way if we get to soap his tail it might be easier than trying to work through all this long hair he has on his tail. I hate to do it but if it will help him and if we continue to brush his tail regularly this tail gland should go away hopefully I think.

Thanks for your advice,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    Well if I understand what Tail Gland Hyperplasia is correctly, then it's caused by a gland and the shampoo is probably an antibiotic or clorahexadine (sp?) shampoo to help prevent infection.

Shaving the hair would probably help, but the shampoo, and neutering, would help more.

If he won't allow a full bath, try just getting a good soppy washcloth with the soap on it and try a tail bath. It might be less upsetting to your kitty than being in a tub of water.

Sorry, I was thinking of a different thread and thought he was not neutered, sorry my mistake.

If it's what I think, around here we call it 'stud tail'. Jack had that when he showed up here. We had his hair clipped, took him to the groomer and had him neutered and it went away. He now has a beautiful very full tail.

I hope your kitty's gland settles down and doesn't cause anymore problems.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Did they say anything about Athena and the water problem?

It's just like Stud Tail I think but the vet can't figure out why he has it since he's fixed.

So you are right it's just he is fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    Sorry, I was thinking of a different thread and thought he was not neutered, sorry my mistake.

If it's what I think, around here we call it 'stud tail'. Jack had that when he showed up here. We had his hair clipped, took him to the groomer and had him neutered and it went away. He now has a beautiful very full tail.

I hope your kitty's gland settles down and doesn't cause anymore problems.

I didn't take Athena in because she hasn't been doing it but last night she did do it and it was the first time I heard her do it in a long time but it wasn't after drinking water she was just lying down and I think she has a hairball coming up and I think sometimes she does drink way too fast and that's why she coughs. But if she continues to cough and nothing comes up then I will take her in but as of right now I think she just has a hairball that she just can't get up. I'm going to stop by the store and get some of that easy hairball stuff so she can toss it up easier.

Thanks for asking!

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    Did they say anything about Athena and the water problem?

You might want to give Hermes Lysine while he gets through this ordeal with washing and healing. I have a couple of cats with the upper resp. Herpes virus and I know just what you mean about trying to not let them get stressed. My cat Jimmy just got back from the vet and on top of everything else he's now sneezing and I know it is from the stress of being at the vet and all he went through.
    If I know that a stressful situation is coming up, I give them Lysine and it helps them fight the virus from flaring up. You probably already give this to your cats but it might be good to give it to him now, before he gets any further stressed. I give 500mg once a day if I'm giving it as prevention and 500mg twice a day if they are already sneezing.

I wonder if Athena might be taking in extra air when she drinks from the faucet as opposed to a bowl of water. That could cause her to cough. You could try an experiment and only allow her to drink from a bowl for a week and see if the coughing diminishes.

I hope both your beautiful cats will be on the mend soon.

I think I already do give Hermes lysine, I'll have to check when I get home, I'm not sure.

I know I'm supposed to give his 1 ml I think it is of this gooy stuff but he seems to love it so I'm happy with that.

Thanks for the suggestion for Athena, we have bowls around the house with water but they just love the facuet water for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    You might want to give Hermes Lysine while he gets through this ordeal with washing and healing. I have a couple of cats with the upper resp. Herpes virus and I know just what you mean about trying to not let them get stressed. My cat Jimmy just got back from the vet and on top of everything else he's now sneezing and I know it is from the stress of being at the vet and all he went through.
    If I know that a stressful situation is coming up, I give them Lysine and it helps them fight the virus from flaring up. You probably already give this to your cats but it might be good to give it to him now, before he gets any further stressed. I give 500mg once a day if I'm giving it as prevention and 500mg twice a day if they are already sneezing.

I wonder if Athena might be taking in extra air when she drinks from the faucet as opposed to a bowl of water. That could cause her to cough. You could try an experiment and only allow her to drink from a bowl for a week and see if the coughing diminishes.

I hope both your beautiful cats will be on the mend soon.