Thread: Worrywart!

Worrywart!

I really, REALLY need to stop all this worrying, because pretty soon I'm gonna have ulcers!!!

The past two weeks have been horrific, because our Mister Malone was eating rocks, in & out of the vets, and threatened to have surgery. We finally got past that, and things were looking up. But now, I'm worried all over again. This whole evening, he acted so down, and lazy, and just before bed he had diaherria again. No tail wagging, no eating slippers or socks, no chasing the cat, just lots of sleeping and lots of cuddling. Is this something that I should rush him off to the vet for (again!)and pay weekend emergency fees, or should I put it off 'til Monday? What if it's serious, and he just gets worse?? My hubby chalks it up to my being a female (I say "no fair!") but sometimes I just worry so much, especially on nights like tonight. I can't even sleep!!! Every little noise he makes in his sleep, I'm straining to listen for, just in case he's getting sick or something.

Two more things: Night before last, Malone was kind of coughing, and ran to drink some water. It was really strange, so I looked around to see if he had gotten into something he wasn't supposed to, and found that my husband's deoderant had kind of crumbled, and there were small pieces of it on the floor. Could he have eaten these pieces and this is what is causing diaherria? Or could it be this: We were feeding him a mix of puppy foods, 3/4 large breed and 1/4 regular. At lunch, I ran out of the big breed and so just fed him all regular. Even though it had been in his diet, could it have been that drastic of a change to upset his stomach???

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, before the gray hairs REALLY start to pop out. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!!!!

Re: Worrywart!

I was just wondering how Malone was doing today.

----<---<--<{(@

He was OK, not too bad, and not too good. He played with me a while in the morning running around the livingroom. But in the evening, we went for a walk, he kept sitting down and looking at us like "Please Can we go home now??" Usually he charges full speed ahead and back again. So that is a pretty big indicator.

Also, after posting the original thread, I went back to bed. He whined in his crate (he NEVER does that) so I took him out. He had another huge soft poop, and then strained & strained,but nothing came out. It hurt to watch him so much!! After getting up this morning, he's a bunch more active and waggy, but I'm going to watch him really carefully. If something is stuck, I'm thinking it's better to go to the vet, emergency fees and all!!

Mister Malone, you just have the sweetest little face! You stop gtting into stuff and worryin your Mama!

We went threw similiar things with Cincy this spring. The end of one week so was vomiting, end of next is was diaherria. We went to the vet, they gave us some medicine and two hours later she was vomitting again. Took to emergency vet and they gave her a shot to stop the vomoiting. Next day it was back to the vet for X-rays. Yeah, thre was something, there..they didn't know what. something she ate. All said and done she was off fod for almost 48 hours and then everything was fine. Months later I still wake up at night if I hear her licking...thinking she is going to get sick again. I hope you figure out what is going on with Poor Mister Malone!

My dog was/is very much one for picking up and eating anything when he was a puppy and even now at four years old, though not quite so much. Having said that, just this morning he picked up what looked like the cap top off a mascara wand (don`t ask how that came to be lying about on the field where we walk, we, or rather Bob, have found odder things), anyway, bottom line is he swallowed it and now I`m worrying and watching like a hawk yet again.
    So I can relate to how you are worrying about Malone, especially with him being a pup still. Maybe all you can do right now is watch him very carefully.
    I searched out this below for you which may be of some help.It is from vetinfo4dogs. Click if you want to check this, or any other info, out.

Q: I had a question about diarrhea. My dog doesn't have CHRONIC but just got it. What are some helpful remedies? He feels miserable. please add those ideas to your site. thanks. mj
    A:
    Acute diarrhea in a puppy should not be treated at home due to the potential for parvovirus. It really is important to seek veterinary help pretty quickly, especially if the diarrhea is preceded by or accompanied by noticeable depression.
    In an older dog with acute diarrhea there are some things that you can do at home that may be helpful. It is often beneficial to with-hold food for 24 hours and to keep fluid intake to small amounts at one time without restricting the total intake. A good method of allowing access to small quantities of water at once is to put ice cubes in your dog's bowl. As the melt water is produced in small quantities. It is usually OK to administer an anti-diarrheal product such as Immodium AD but your vet should calculate the first dose for you. Some vets advise giving a small amount of plain yogurt. If an older dog continues to have diarrhea after 24 to 36 hours without food intake it is a good idea to consult a veterinarian to begin the process of finding and treating the cause of the diarrhea.

Mike Richards, DVM

I do hope Malone gets better very soon, please keep us posted.

OK here's an update. My hubby talked me out of rushing to the vet because Malone is doing quite a lot better. He slept all afternoon (that's mostly normal) and when he's awake he's pretty active. In fact, I was in the dining room, and he wandered into the kitchen. 30 seconds later, I followed him, and he was SITTING on the counter (how did he get up there?) eating the cat food. Yikes! There wasn't too much in there to start with, so he didn't get very much, thankfully. So, we are just continuing to watch him carefully, hope he gets all his energy back by tomorrow, and waiting to see if he will have any more diaherria. Thanks for all of your support!!!

So glad that Malone is feeling better today.
    Hope he 100% by tomarrow.
    I love looking at that cute face of his.

----<---<--<{(@

Malone, you have such a sweet face! I wish you could talk to your mommy and tell her why you're not feeling good - but until that day, I'm sending some good healthy wishes for you!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

So pleased to hear Malone is feeling better

I hope Mr. Malone feels 100% better!!! He's such a cutie pie!!!!!

Glad to here he's feeling better!

We went thru "rock eating" with Deisel. You are not a worry wort if you care about your animals.

When Deisel ate the rock, for 2 days he was not eating and when he did he threw it up and couldn't go to the bathroom. He wasn't acting like himself so finally sunday night I woke up to Deisel getting sick again. I rushed to the emerg with him about 3am. Yes I was balling all the way there, I thought something was really really wrong with him and I thought I may lose my Deisel pup. It turned out he ate a rock and it was lodged in his stomach...he had to have surgery to get it out.

So $1400 later Deisel was ok....I just kept telling Deisel "Your lucky your soo cute and I love you so much. That's when we built the deck for them....

I hope he feels 100% better. He is soooo cute!!

Wow, I can't even imagine how you felt when that happened with poor Deisel!!! I'm so glad that he turned out to be OK!!! Right now, we seem to be OK, it's been just under 24 hours since he was sick, so maybe (?) we are through it?!? I'm cautiously optimistic. So I don't know if it was just a fluke thing, or what it was, but I'm glad that he's better, and not worse!!!

I'm glad to hear Malone is feeling better today!!!