Thread: Boarding you cat

Boarding you cat

I know when most people go away they just leave a bowl of food, a bowl of water and have a neighbor come in just every few days to change your kitties litter box but if you were to board your cat what would you want for your kitty? Any kind of special kitty treats, play times etc.? What kind of special things would you want?

Thanks guys!

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

If I have to leave Taz for more than 3 days (his automatic feeder can only feed him for 3 days) he goes to my mom's house.
    But if I were to board a cat I guess I'd want someone to give him attention, play with him (if he wants to play) and just sit with him and be company for him for a while. Since my kitties are indoor only, outside time is not required.
    But this is what is happening with Paizly this weekend. She is going to my parents house, only my parents won't be home. They will be in Tahoe with us. So my niece will come over to see Paizly twice a day, hopefully. And she can play with her and bring Zoee in for a visit. Check her food and water and clean the litter box. Not too difficult since they do not need to go outside to potty.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

If I absolutely HAD to board him, I'd have to know for sure that they'd mix his food and medicine/supplements the way he needs them, cuddle him and play with him if he was up for it, cut his nails, and brush his fur. I'd want to know he had a place to hide when he was afraid. He's a bit of a scaredy cat (hasn't lived with dogs or other cats), and it would be hard to avoid frightening him in a boarding situation, so I'd probably never board him except in direst emergency. I could never afford boarding anyway, so it's a real blessing that I have a co-worker/neighbor who'll look after him when I'm away!

Love, Columbine

I've boarded Dusty once, shortly after she showed up, no choice vacation already booked. I visited the place unannounced and they gave me a tour. I had brought Dusty with me just to see what she would think of it. I was impressed that they would not let me bring her in the back without checking her for fleas first, and I was not allowed to put her down on so much as the counter without proof of vaccinations. That put my mind at ease knowing they check everyone that thouroghly. They also checked her for fleas before she left.

I had paid extra for more play time, but turns out I wouldn't have needed to. Dusty had a habit of pawing at doors/walls when she wanted them open. One of the girls there felt so sorry for Dusty pawing that she got her out every time she pawed. Needless to say Dusty got quite spoiled there. The girl even cried when I came back a week later to pick up my kitty. lol

After that if I had to go away I'd have someone stop by twice a day for feedings etc.

Since Jack now has to have medicine and eats 4x a day I have someone either stay at the house, or work in two petsitters who both stop over 2x a day to cover Jack's feedings/medicine schedule. It's very complicated and a hassle, but it's what he needs.

Back to the original question; what would I want for my kitties? Assuming money was no object....

Cat tree
    Hammocks
    Window with birdfeeder outside
    Tv or radio playing
    Some kinda of cubby/hidey hole
    Lots of play & brushing time

Something like these...(funny not one is in the US)
    http://www.lavendercattery.co.nz/boarding.htm

http://www.norfolkcattery.co.uk/

http://www.bbcattery.co.uk/page3.html

However given that I'm not rich....

With Dusty I settled for a very large, hand built kennel with a wire front, shelves, a hidey hole, sneeze guard, and a very clean, well maintained facility.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I would want to make sure that the cats were kept in an area away from the dogs, if dogs were boarded there also. My kitty would be scared out of his mind if he had to listen to dogs bark all day. I had a friend who boarded her cat this summer. I am too scared to board Morgan since he id diabetic and stress affects his sugar levels. I had someone come by twice a day to take care of all of my critters.

I boarded Jazz when she was about 6 months old. I only had Jazz and Ripley then and I didn't trust them to be alone for 4 days so I left him at home where he was happy and took her and my dog Disney to be boarded. They allowed her to have a few toys and said she would get a little time out of the cage each day to play. I found out later that they didn't have many boarders that weekend and because she was so young and playful she was taken out of her cage many times a day and everyone played with her. I was very happy about that.

From Decker with Love

I have such a huge houseful with my fosters and assorted medical issues that I hire one of our volunteers in my rescue group to take care of them.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I HAVE A LIST OF THOSE THINGS WHEN MY ONE FINE DAY COMES FOR THE FOUND HOTEL CATS PLUS THEY WOULD HAVE THIER FURNITURE IN THE PLAYROOM, PLUS PREMIUM FOOD AND OF COURSE REGULAR VISITS FROM THIER VET.
    I WAS GOING TO LEAVE THEM AT THE FOUND BUT THERES SO MANY PLACES THEY CAN HIDE.
    AND AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BIG JOINT CAGES SO THEY CAN CURL UP, AND REGULAR UPDATES TO PET TALK.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I had to board two of mine many years ago when we first arrived at a new assignment. I called around to find somewhere where they could be in a crate together, would be in an area away from barking dogs, and could have a place to hide. I asked if there was room in the crate for an open paper bag and they (kitties) liked that I would have loved a loft type arrangement with a perch, and if someone were to take time to play or take them out of the crate, I would have been ecstatic!! Some of the boarding places I hear about now sound really nice and I would use them if I had nobody to check on them here at the house. I like to know they are cared for at least once a day. I have also looked at pet sitting services and may try that since I have five kitties.

Fister has been in cat Hotels quite a few times, some excellent, some not so good. The ideal place would be something like this:

Quiet countryside, no dogs near
    A good sized room with access to a run outside
    A good view to chickens and birds etc.
    A bed with soft pillows and covered
    A blanket to lay on on the floor
    A wide windowsill to sit in
    Sweet people to cuddle with and brush him every day
    Litterbox emptied after every use
    A tree to climb in
    Various toys
    Classical music part of the day

That's what I can think of for now.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thank you everyone! I really apreciate your ideas. I love the idea of a window with a bird feeder outside.

jazzcat - If you don't mind me asking, where did you board your kitty and doggie?

I find it interesting that most people with cats that take meds say they wouldn't board there cat due to the medication and instead leave it at home for the neighbor (or others) to medicate and take care of.

Thanks for all the help! If you think of anything else please let me know.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I took them to All Kreatures. http://www.allkreatures.com/ It's about a mile or so from my house.

Since I took Jazz there they opened the "Kitty Kabins" - really nice three tier enclosures for the cats all with a picture window view of the parking lot and road.

My SIL takes her Yorkie there for a week every summer and I go pick him up for her on the day she returns. I always like checking out the cats in the big kitty room (for 2-3 cats of the same family). I asked them last time if they had a big room for my seven and they looked at me amazed.

I forgot to mention this is where I took Disney to be groomed.

From Decker with Love

I know it is stressful to the cats to board them away from home, but for me personally i could not rest leaving them at home in the hands of others, i would be scared something might happen to them and they cannot be found or whatever, so i would choose a cattery, so far i have not done it since i have had the four of them and i do dread the thought.

What i did was i checked out every cattery in my city, there are about nine maybe, and decided out of them all only two of them were good enough for my furbabies. I have one very close to me just down from the vets, but it is below my standards, not going there for sure.

I looked for a place with no dogs, as they also would be terrified, adding to their stress, whether they had private outdoor places ,not shared with other cats,the atmosphere, how clean and modern it was, what food was offered, if they medicate cats, vet on site or close,electric blankets offered, those sort of things, there are no exact luxury cattery's in my city, but some nice ones that are purffectly adequate, my dream is to open the cities first ever total luxury small and private cattery, ah well dreams are free

If i ever board them it will cost me a small fortune at least 36 dollars per day, that is quite a lot, so hence we don't go away, have not been away since Lexie which is around 7 years except for one night stay, my daughter and son looked after the kitties that time around.

Good luck with your search.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

http://www.bbcattery.co.uk/page3.html

This cattery is similar to where I work though a bit bigger by the looks.

My job is in a cattery this boards cats. No dogs, we also board guinea pigs and rabbits but they are in a seperate place. I'd try to find one that isn't next to dogs or if it's both they should be apart from eachother not close together.

Most importantly cats need to be vaccinated and have their certificates with them so the cattery owner can keep them. This is to ensure that there is no spread of infection.
    Between each pen in the cattery where I work they have perspex up to half way so this acts as a sneeze guard (also to stop the spread of infections)

Each pen can house up to two cats, there are two pens for a family of up to five cats. There shouldn't be overcrowding.

It should be very clean, with clean litter trays every day, with fresh water every day also.
    Where I work they have a nice big bark tree stump to climb on and scratch claws which takes them up to a small wooden seat so they can sit and look out or have a snooze.
    They have a step up to their little house which is secure and they can hide and sleep here if they want to stay inside. Their bed and food are in there, they have a heated mat and fleece to lay on here too. With carpets put in for comfort. (These are taken out and cleaned after each cat)
    They have the radio on, I turn it to classical after I've cleaned the pen so they can relax, and I've noticed that the cats find it calming.
    Where I work it's based on farm land so there are chickens going back and forth and ducks, and also outside cats for them to watch if they want.
    They have a selection of mice and toys to play with if they want.
    Brushing is done if it's asked for, some charge extra for this. And we also administer medication of needed.

So basically there are few things that are a given when looking at a cattery (boarding)

Clean, airy and open environment
    Beds and blankets
    Safe secure sleeping quarters within the pen.
    Space to walk around in to stretch
    A seat or somewhere they can sit and watch or sleep
    Fresh water
    Clean litter tray
    Some kind of stimulation like a radio or TV that they can hear or see
    Toys so they can have a play should they want to

I find that the cats in my workplace are always very happy, you get the odd hyperactive ones that demand more attention, but most are happy to while away the hours on their heated mat (even in the summer!) and snooze the day away.

I think the main thing to think is 'if I were a cat does this have everything I want and need?'
    If it does then it'd probably be okay.