Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: favorite author?

favorite author?

What is your favorite author. I have recently become a HUGE Dean Koontz fan! I'm on my third one by him in the last 2 months. Can't get enough!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I have read everything he has ever written, even a book about him by someone else!

Did you read watchers? There are also some good movies based on his books, we have them on our movies for free on cable right now, intensity is really good.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Too many to choose from, but I am a big Neil Gaiman fan, a Neal Stephenson fan, but read almost everything I can get my hands on!
    I've Been Frosted

I rarely read fiction these days, so have no particular favorite author. I read whatever appeals to me - sports, medicine, history, animals, current events.

When I retired, I had a stack of about 30 books saved up to read. Well, that was 9 years ago and the stack has grown to around 60. For every book I've read, I buy 2 more to fill the void.

I just finished Rome 1960 by David Maraniss - an account of the 1960 summer Olympics in Rome. Very interesting book - how the world has changed in the past 48 years!!

Big Dean Koontz fan over here as well! Life Expectancy and Watchers were definitely my favorites.
    Right now, I`m reading a book by Karen Rose, called Have You Seen Her? I like it a lot and I`m definitely going to read more from her.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

Years ago I would travel a couple hours to my parents house and back home quite a bit so I began listening to audio books.
    Somebody let me borrow Intensity by Dean Koontz and let me tell you, Intense it was!! I drove around my block and then sat in my car to finish it. And while I was driving I would realize I was gripping the steering wheel so hard.
    I think they made a movie about that book. But I like books better because they give you more descriptions and thoughts of the characters so you can visualize it any way you wish.

For the past several years I have been reading Nora Roberts who also writes under the name JD Robb. I still have so many books left to read. My reading has been put on hold by the stinking reality TV I've been addicted to.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

James PAtterson

he is hands down my FAVORITE author.

I just love his books. I can't get enough of them. I really recommend them to anyone who likes murder mystery. the Alex Cross series and the Womens' murder club series are my FAVS

I also like Carol Higgins Clarks books based on Character Reagan Reilly.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Hmmm,

Stephen Hunter, Vince Flynn, Carl Hiaasen, Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy, Dale Brown, Nelson Demille, Stephen Coonts.

I love early Stephen King and Koontz, but their styles changed a few years back. I like the supernatural terror like in The Stand, Dead Zone and The Tommyknockers-after a while it got to be too predictible.

If you like mystery/scary read Robert McCammon's Swan song-like The Stand, by King.

If you like intense crime, try Shane Steven's By Reason of Insanity.

Hannibal Lecter was a wuss compared to the Thomas Bishop character. This has to be the best crime novel/serial killer book ever written.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Years ago I would travel a couple hours to my parents house and back home quite a bit so I began listening to audio books.
    Somebody let me borrow Intensity by Dean Koontz and let me tell you, Intense it was!! I drove around my block and then sat in my car to finish it. And while I was driving I would realize I was gripping the steering wheel so hard.
    that sounds like me when I was listening to the audio book of Fear Nothing and Seize the Night by Dean Koontz.

I enjoy Dean Koontz,
    John Sanford (Prey Novels)
    James Patterson,
    Jonathon Kellerman,
    Mary Higgins Clark
    Iris Johansen,
    Laurien Berensen (Melanie Travis poodle mysteries),
    Patricia Cornwell,
    Catherine Coulter,
    Sue Grafton (Kinsey Milhone),
    Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum).
    I just started reading Donna Ball and the Raine Stockton Series (golden retriever mysteries).
    AND
    Twilight Series and Charlie Bone Series and of Course HARRY POTTER!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Dorothy Parker. I normally don't like fiction but her short stories I
    Claudia

I'm a big fan of young adult fiction (since I'm teaching middle school library). A lot of my books are also great for high school kids and I think even people in their 20s and 30s can relate to them (looking back and all that).

Sarah Dessen is amazing. I love her novels for teen girls. "Just Listen", "The Truth about Forever", "Someone like You" to name a few. If I could afford to buy all her books for my own collection, I would.

Stephenie Meyer, of course! TWILIGHT!!!! Can I just say that I'm impressed that there's no sex in books 1-3. I haven't read book 4 yet (so don't tell me!), but there are so many books I'd love to put on my shelves for 8th graders, and you'll be almost at the end of the book and there's sex, or you're just reading the first page and there's something obscene, but the rest of the book is fine. Sigh... it's really frustrating.

Sharon Flake, if you want to have great "urban" stories for young men and women of color, or not of color. "The Skin I'm In", "Bang", "Begging for Change", "What will I do without him" (short stories)

Sharon Draper also does great inner city/urban stories. I love "The Battle of Jericho".

Meg Cabot's "Queen of Babble" series, and the "Heather Wells" series, "How to be Popular", and if you are into the "Princess Diary" series (I'm not), she has million of them.

Margaret Haddix's series "Among the ...." (insert Hidden, Imposters, Enemy, Brave...)

Jacqueline Woodson's books about Maizon, also "The House you pass on the way" and "Lena" among others.

I still love Andrew Clement's books. "Frindle"(I actually think this is still one of my faves from grades 3-5), "A School story", "A Week in the woods".

Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. I mean, who cannot love and adore the "Shiloh" trilogy?! It's a sad dog story, but sooooo good!!! Her series for young adult girls starring Alice are pretty good too.

There really are so many, and I know I picked out a ton of women authors, and books for girls, but they are what I've been reading voraciously for the past 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post

Did you read watchers?
    Another Dean Koontz fan here although I haven't read any of his recent stuff.
    Watchers was incredible, wasn't it?

I also enjoy John Grisham, Patricia Cornwell and Sue Grafton to name a few more.

Wow, so many to mention but a few are Catherine Ponder for her Millionaires of the Bible series, Alison Weir for her Tudor history books and Jean Plaidy for her Tudor novels. There are many more but I slept in this morning and I'm lucky and I can even type. LOL
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Judy Blume. Though she hasn't written anything in awhile.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Another Dean Koontz fan here although I haven't read any of his recent stuff.
    Watchers was incredible, wasn't it?

I also enjoy John Grisham, Patricia Cornwell and Sue Grafton to name a few more.
    His latest "the darkest evening of the year" has been a labor of love for him leading up to it. Its got Golden Retrievers in it.
    Did you ever check out the Laurien Berensen ones I emailed you about Pam?
    you would LOVE them!! mysteries and poodles!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..