Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mom got her dog! Pics/help needed

My mom got her dog! Pics/help needed

My mom dog her dog from the Humane Society last Thursday. He's a big sweety. 5 years old, and the HS said he's Saluki mix(what do you guys think?? how do you pronounce that anyway?) She named him Riley.

My mom is having trouble getting him to eat. He's barely eaten any dog food. He apparently has no trouble eating people food, but she'd rather him get into the habit of eating his own food. Any ideas? She's getting concerned and he was really skinny to begin with. Should she feed him something he'll eat until he finds some dog food he likes? What about canned food?

Also, he either isn't interested in toys, or he doesn't understand how to play with them yet. If you throw the toy, he'll chase it, pick it up, then drop it. Or when I was playing tug with Zeke the other day Riley seemed interested, put his mouth on the rope then immediately dropped it.

He's a great dog though. He seems really agile. I think he'd make an excellent agility dog. I may take him myself (maybe with Zeke if you can run 2 dogs in one class) Apparently he loves to dig though...and bury bones in moms garden
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/newthrea...newthread&f=11
    Pet Talk - Post New Thread
    Anyway, onto the pics.

As you can see, he is skin and bones. Is that the breed or is he just really underweight?

Playing with my boy, Zeke.

lol..goofball

More pics coming...

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Awww!! Riley is quite the cutie! I believe the breed in pronounced as it is spelled, (sa-luk-ee). I'm so glad your mom adopted him! I believe Salukis sare naturally thin, kind of like Greyhounds. Sorry I don't have any advice on the food... maybe she could ask the vet? I'm not sure, though..... some dogs are just picky eaters.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

True, he may be a little skinny, but I think he looks great! Saulki's (Sa-luke-ee) are naturaly thin and lean, so he looks like he should!
    Those pictures are great! He sure looks like a Happy boy!!

As for the food, if he were mine I would leave food in his bowl at all times.
    Let him get hungry, and he'll eat when he realizes that he's not going to get people food!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

He is a cutie and sure looks happy to have a loving new home!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

He's beautiful. Definitely a sighthound mix. I wonder if he has ibizan hound, his face makes me think of ibizan more than saluki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibizan_Hound

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/ibizanhound.htm

But then mixes can always look so unique. I don't think he looks too thin really, just sighthoundish. They often look somewhat slender and ribby. I suspect as he settles he'll be more interested in his food too. Hope we get to see more of him, he's really a total cutie!
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Hi, Riley! I really like the second picture in the first post - you look so happy and ready for fun! Welcome!

Edited to say: What breed is Riley? I have no idea, but he's very handsome!
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 08-19-2008 at 04:29 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

He's gorgeous! I see sighthound too, maybe Ibizian like K9Soul said. Congratulations to you and your mom.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

That's a Greyhound/Lab if I ever saw one. His head/coat/face scream Labrador and his slim body/neck/face again scream Greyhound.

Salukis are very rare. I highly doubt this beauty is a Saluki mix. In fact, I'm willing to bet my right arm he's a Greyhound/Lab or possibly Whippet/Lab, but definitely not Saluki.

Re: his weight: He is at an almost perfect weight. He could put 3-5 more pounds on, but you *want* to see a faint outline of his ribs. For some pics...

Ivy is not a sighthound mix, but you can see what I mean when I say you want to see a faint outline of ribs on her.

Both Whippet and Greyhound:

In both dogs, you can see the ribs. They're not skinny. That's how they're supposed to be

Edit: Do you want me to post pics of your pup on the Greyhound forum? They're diehard sighthound folks and can help ID the mix for you.

Ok thanks I'm still concerned that he's not eating though. I know some breeds are like that normally, but he seemed skinny even for that. You can clearly see his ribs, and ever bone in his spine going down his back so I wasn't sure. I'm glad to hear that he's not too bad though. I think my mom is taking him to the vet for a quick check up anyway.

I'd agree that it's not likely for him to be a saluki.... Ibizan would be even more far fetched IMO.
    I also think he looks to be in a good weight. He is friggin' adorable!!
    For the food issue I would probably tough love it. He gets his meal put down and then after 20 minutes it gets put up again. It is not offerred until the next meal time. As long as he is drinking water he should be okay. A normal healthy dog will not starve themselves. I do not believe in free feeding.
    Congrats to your mom. He really is a cutie. And I love his crazy faces when playing with Zeke.

*Thanks Ashley*

he doesn´t look awfully skinny toi me... perhaps more lean built...but he´s so cute!!...

I too would let him realiza he ain´t getting people food.... he might not take a bite for a couple days... just as long as he takes water... it´s nothing to worry... he needs to adjust...

poor baby.. he doesn´t knows how to play.. awww... he´ll learn in no time...and he´ll get so much love...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

well I agree with the others - definately a greyhound/lab mix-ish.
    Salukis are pretty rare as far as I know.
    Course I don't know about your area at all.
    He sure is gorgeous!
    I agree tho - he looks perfect for a sighthound body if he gains any make it less than 5 pounds. But then again I wouldn't know what to do with a dog that skinny!
    Of course, I highly reccommend a check up/psychical at the vet for any new dog.
    good luck Riley!
    I'm with the others as well, just leave the food in the bowl, I wouldn't mix anything in it (broth, or wet food) b/c then he'll get used that and then NOT eat anything without it. She could always switch the kind she's feeding, maybe he doesn't have the taste for it.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I think Riley is 100% adorable!! Regardless what his breed is.
    (and because I am not good at guessing breeds, unless it's obvious )

Riley and Zeke are having such a good time together. That is wonderful. I just love Riley's funny faces in some of the pix. LOL
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)