Thread: Major surgery for Casper the cockatiel

Major surgery for Casper the cockatiel

First a little history- A years and a half ago Casper's legs swelled up due to joint and circulation problems and he needed surgery. The swelling was so bad he needed the band cut off his leg during surgery. He came through the surgery fine and bounced back nicely. His legs never completely returned to normal, but they were a lot better.

Recently his legs have started swelling again and a tumor appeared on his left foot. The tumor grew fast and turned dark (like a bruise). His left foot also swelled a lot larger than the right. Our vet (who is totally awesome and a real bird expert) feels his left leg is just getting too bad to save. After talking to her in great lengths my husband and I know she is right. Casper is in perfect health other than his legs and the vet is confident he will come through with flying colors.

The surgery to have Casper's left leg amputated is scheduled for Wednesday (Aug. 6). Yesterday he began a couple medications in preparation for the surgery.

Casper is a very happy bird and we don't think having only one leg will break his spirit or keep him down at all.

Please say a little prayer for my little Casper. This is such a big surgery for such a little bird. We have every confidence in our vet, but this is still very scary.

I'll keep this thread updated with his progress. I'll add some pictures too, if he lets me take some.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Awww, poor Casper with the ouchie leg! We will keep him in our prayers! As someone with poor balance, I hope he regains his quickly. Like you say, though, he's such a happy birdie I'm sure he'll just be relieved not to be in pain!
    I've Been Frosted

Poor little guy... Good vibes headed out for Casper. He will be in my thoughts.

Prayers headed out for Casper.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Prayers for Casper headed your way. I hope he is going to be ok from his surgery.

Update

Oops, I should have updated this last week. A few days after Casper started the anti-inflammation medicine his leg was looking a million times better. The day of his surgery his leg was looking so much better that his surgery was canceled and we were instructed to keep him on the meds another week and then come back for a re-check. We had the re-check today and the vet was very pleased with the improvements in Casper's leg. She took him off the meds and wants to see him next week for another re-check after he's been off the meds. Yay! No surgery!
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix View Post
    Yay! No surgery!
    Fantastic!
    I'll keep sending good vibes that his next check-up will be just as good.