Thread: Fish & Potato treats?

Fish & Potato treats?

Anyone recommend a good fish & potato treat? We were instructed to keep Oreo on a strict fish & potato diet... right now his food is prescription Iams from the vet that is f & p. But after their evening walk, they each get a treat... and I don't know if they make any f & p treats.

I searched and found some, but wanted PT opinion first before I bought any!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Raw sweet potato, yummy! Small bites for an Oreo sized dog, obviously.

Buddy Biscuits come in sweet potato, but I don't know what other ingredients may be int hem. Sugar LOVES them, she arrived here with a box, from her foster mom, when I adopted her. Can't keep them from her!

Fish, I think I 've seen dried fish but never used it.

Fish treats? Yummy Chummies. I don't know what Oreo is not allowed to have, so I am going to add a list of the ingredients, just in case there is something to which he is allergic.
    Ingredient List: Wild Alaska Salmon, Wheat Flour, Vegetable Glycerin, Propionic Acid, Natural Smoke Flavor, Citric Acid, Garlic, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, and Rosemary Extract.

Thanks, I saw those... I will have to pick up a bag for him.

The vet said to cut out any food that was not f&p. So no doggie biscuits anymore after their evening walk, and he's smart enough to know when I'm trying to give him pieces of kibble as his treat. Jadie'll eat it, but he just looks at me.

Thanks for the input!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I have the same problem with Tucker, who is on a Kangaroo meal kibble (KD)They simply don't (won't) make that food in a treat size biscuit. I even called the company to plead with them. Ha - like that did any good!

Tucker gets his *treats* - a handful of his kibble - at noon and before he goes to bed. It's not the easiest way to dispense but he loves it and gobbles it down and doesn't seem to mind the lack of variety. I do occasionally share a baby carrot or a piece of apple with him and that doesn't seem to bother him. However he's had a recent flairup of his allergies since I started brushing his teeth regularly and now I'm wondering if there is something in the veterinary toothpaste (which has a poultry flavor) which is problematic.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Oh and I forgot to add that I know Natural Balance makes a Sweet Potato and Fish treat for dogs with allergies, because one of my co-workers buys them for her dog. Here is a link.

If they make a Fish and Potato prescription canned food, like the dry food you feed him you can make your own dog treats. Just roll up the wet food, place on a cookie sheet and put in the oven at 350 degrees and let cook for about 10 mins. Check on them to see if they are becoming "hard" like a biscuit, when they are hard and cooked the whole way through take them out and let them cool then give whenever. If you have cookie cutters you can shape them like you do cookie dough. My friend has a dog who is highly allergic to everything so she makes these all the time with her dogs prescrption food. The dogs go nutts over them!

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka