Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *gone* Keeping male rats together *now with PICTURES*

*gone* Keeping male rats together *now with PICTURES*

Yesterday my stepmom and I took the 8 others to the dirtiest, most cramped pet store I had ever been to. The gave us $8 store credit for what they will probably turn around and sell for close to $50.
    edit:
    My dad really had things out of control down there. He had some 10 gals with 4 adult rats in them, and like I say, I'm trying to figure it all out. Obviously, they can't all stay, so I've put an add on craigslist with details and prices. I am offering them all for free to any PT member because I know they'll go as pets instead of feeders. If left up to my dad, they'd probably be feeders even though he has so many in the freezer. Here are the rats I've decided I can't keep:

-1 adult male, hooded agouti
    -2 adult females, himalayan (one is probably pregnant)
    -1 adult female, brown hooded
    -1 adult female, tan hooded

3 just weaned littermates, one tan and two agouti. These guys have been held almost every day since their eyes opened, and are very tame. They will come right over and try to you and lick your hand.

I'm in Ames, Iowa, and I can drive about 30 miles to meet anyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd like to know what all of you thing about keeping adult male rats together in the same cage. I've heard some people say that if they are raised together then they will most likely be fine together, but my dad says once they both reach maturity they will fight.
    I want to know because I've just moved into my dad and step-mom's two flat and I keep the rats in my apartment. We picked out 10 rats to keep, and four of them are males. Normally I would have picked more females and less males but I just fell in love with one, and my step-mom had one she wanted to keep. He has been keeping several families of one male and a few females, and just having litter after litter. He needs babies to feed his snakes, because they have to eat something, but now he has an entire freezer of rats and we really don't need to be having all of those litters. I want to be able to keep the breeding age females separate from the breeding age males until we really want a litter.

Also, is it ok to keep a male on his own in a cage, if they end up fighting? I try and hold them once a day, but with Oslo and so many sometimes it's more like once every three days. We have 10 gal terrariums laying around.

Also, pictures will come soon. I've only named one for sure, that's Peter Pan.
    When I got here a week ago there were a male and a female from the same litter that looked the same, and were just weaned, so they were small enough to get in and out of the cage but they never did unless we were right there, so I wasn't concerned, because rats are pretty smart for rodents. They have shavings and an old t-shirt, so I thought they were just hiding, that's why I only saw one at a time. I didn't want to disturb the litter because there were newborns in there. I also had been hearing things in a couple of boxes on the floor but I dismissed it as my mind making things up. When I cleaned out the cage and figured out that he was gone, I realized that the noises may have been him, and they were. He's my little lost boy, so I named him Peter Pan.

edit:

Here are some crappy pics so you can see my ratties. The housing is temporary because in a few weeks the main cage will be way too crowded.

Here are the four in the big cage. There are two females and two males, but I've been watching them carefully. I can't keep the younger ones in here because they can still squeeze through the holes, so here are

(from left to right) the tan male and female that I don't know if we are keeping, Nandy, and Buddy. Buddy was already named when I got here.

Then we have the crowded cage. David, Whitefoot, Mama T, Badger, Peter, and Pinkerton live in it for now, but they'll be split up as soon as I get another cage.

Whitefoot, David, one of the Ps, and Badger

Pinkerton (Pinky)

Pinky, David, and Peter

Pinkerton and David

I have to watch Mama T very carefully because she likes to climb. She's very old. Mama, David, and Whitefoot are all kind of older, they're really my brother's pets, I didn't name them.

I have to watch Pinky carefully too though!

The Ps and Mama. Pinkerton and Peter Pan have different head markings but they hop around too quick for me to tell who is who easily.
    Last edited by Suki Wingy; 09-08-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Niņo & Eliza

It's kind of hit and miss with grown males. Some will take to other males just fine, and some just won't. Neutering may help but I guess in your case, it's not an option. Best to do intros gradually in a neutral environment, just like you would with dogs. I will be starting intros between my new boys and grown male this week. I'll start by putting a new male with my grown male in a bathtub (neutral, no marked areas, easy to keep them in the same area but big enough for either to run away). I will only do this once or twice a day for short periods until I'm sure they'll do fine together. Then when I am ready to put them in the same cage, I will be sure to completely sanitize (hydrogen peroxide & vinegar) the cage, wash all beddings and rearrange all hammocks and toys so it's not familiar territory for anyone.

It's not recommended that a rat be kept alone, no matter how much time and attention you can give it. Even 3 hours of one-on-one time doesn't even compare to the constant companionship another rat provides. However, there's only so much you can do if a male just won't accept another rat. A spayed female would be a nice alternative if you're willing to spay one girl. Male and females tend to accept each other a little more easily.

I should mention that a 10 gallon is really way too small for a male.. I feel guilty just putting them in a 10 gallon for a couple minutes while I clean my cage.. nevermind permanent housing..

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Thanks for all the info. I bet my dad would let me actually neuter one pet male, which I'm assuming is easier than spaying a female.

Niņo & Eliza

Both of my ratties were adult males and were the best of friends. I think if they are raised together and have a big enough cage to provide adequate space for each they should be fine.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Good to know. I'll be looking around goodwill for a nice wire cage to take home and disinfect. I took some pics, I guess I'll edit this thread here with them.

Niņo & Eliza

That cage looks small for so many ratties or did I miss something...?

Tanks are no option for rats no matter the size. Ventilation is poor and it is bad for their respiratory system.

Males can live together and many of them do. Some have some problems and as others mentioned neutering can help. But they should not live alone unless you have tried everything with no success and even then sometimes it is just some rats will only get along with one certain rat.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy View Post
    The housing is temporary because in a few weeks the main cage will be way too crowded.
    as stated before, as soon as I get another cage.

Niņo & Eliza

Oh, just look at those babies! So tiny and adorable.
    I just hate it when PTers show baby rats.. it tempts me far too much. ;D

Everyone has already said what I was planning on saying, so no use reiterating it.

Congratulations!
    Welcome to PT, everyone!

All 5 of my boys live together, and get along fabulously. The two older boys were already together, and then I intro'd the 3 younger boys. Space definitely helps tho. The more space you have, the better off they will be. They must have room to get way from each other, if a problem does arise. Just like with any animal.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Now I just have to figure out who is going to live where, because some of the groups have been together quite a while but I don't want to keep the male with the females. I think The three older rats are fine because the females are past breeding age, but their arrangement keeps stressing me out.

Niņo & Eliza

See I knew I missed something and I read through it twice. Sorry.

Well I hope everything works out!!

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

One thing I would look out for in their temporary accommodation is that the larger rats don't bully the smaller ones, wth regards to food and space.

I think in general male rats, from what I've seen, tend to get on better with each other than female rats do! When they're in their new, more spacious cages, I wouldn't worry too much about them fighting. Yes, it's a possibility, but a relatively unlikely one at that, and neutering them, whilst lessening the chance further, does stress both them and your pocket! Of course if you plan on keeping a female with them then I'm sure you would know to get the males neutered, probably even with an older female, as the male could make her life a misery trying to mate with her.

They are all lovely - congratulations on your new additions!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Orange rats!! You've been holding out orange rats on me!! Send them to me!!!Only one of my males has had to be seperated ever. Try to replace your solid metal cages with powder-coated when you can. I see the metal has quite a bit of acid buildup from urine and metal can get pretty nasty and start causing bumblefoot and wearing away. You don't want the rats chewing on that.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Bump, please see the main post. I'm also willing to give away the two tan rats in the first picture if they go as pets.

Niņo & Eliza

*sigh* I miss my ratties.... They are so precious, I'd love to help you with a couple of them if I was in a better position to do so.

Thank you Wolf_Q!