Thread: The Cost of Heating Oil...

The Cost of Heating Oil...

I just wanted to vent a little about the cost of heating oil. We were just re-doing our budget last night and the projected cost to heat our house this winter is Un-flippin' believable. The cost of oil is expected to be between $4.50 and $5.00/gallon. When we moved in 10 years ago $1.50 was HIGH and to pay ahead we got the price of $.99/gallon.

Going off of previous years usage, we expect to pay between $3100 and $3500 for oil this winter. (yes, we do live in New England, and yes, its very cold here) That is aLOT of $$$$!@!!!! and its CRAZY!!!!

We are getting a new roof put on the first week in September, and they are also going to blow insulation into all of the walls while they are at it (to the tune of $12,000). We are also going to put plastic on all the windows (even though I HATE doing that...I need as much sunlight as possible during the winter). And we are talking of investing in a propane wall heater so that we can heat one or two rooms very comfortably.

Maybe this is why so many people are moving South!?!?

I hear ya. It's scary. I don't have heating oil costs but my gas bill is ridiculous, too. My house is just under 1800 sq. ft. and I'm never warm in the winter. I use a couple of space heaters but that runs up my electric bill and I dare not leave them on when I'm not home, so the house is freezing while I'm gone. It's scary that we have to cut back on essentials just to keep warm. If we move south or southwest, then we've got high electric bills to consider to keep us cool.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I used to live in a house heated by a oil furnace when I was in
    high school. I hated it. Gas heat, to me, is so much warmer.

I hope with the renovations all done, your house stays warmer. Have
    you ever considered changing to gas, electric or part solar heat? I don't
    think oil will ever come down in price again. Those days are over.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

We're paying 6 bucks a gallon right now. Expecting 7.50 in the winter. We use oil to heat the shop. We just filled our propane tank at a cost of almost 1000 dollars.

Our primary heat source is wood. 200 bucks a cord right now. We use about 10 cord a year.

We have electric heat built in to the house. We've never used it. We'd be paying well over a grand a month in the winter to heat with electricity . Gas is not an option for anybody up here. The infrastructure to deliver it doesn't exist.

Wood used to be way cheaper than oil or propane. Now, there is essentially no difference. Stuart figured out we spent close to 6 grand last year just to stay warm! We've done everything we possibly can to make the house and shop as efficient as possible. This is as good as it gets!

We used to be able to save some money in the summer by shutting the furnance off and not burning any wood. This summer has been so cold and wet that hasn't happened. This is the coldest summer on record here. I have the woodstove blazing away right now! Even in the far north, you shouldn't be able to see your breath in July! We've had several days of frost already!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

The new roof and moreso the insulation will likely help a lot, I know it did when my parents' house was done years ago. Getting rid of drafts under doors, etc. would also help, especially as you've got "floor-level traffic" afoot! I wonder what the cost difference would be with plastic over the windows or not - as the winter sun does help heat the place ... during the day, anyway!
    I've Been Frosted

I thought our bills were high, compared to everybody else we're getting away cheap.We have natural gas and one of those high efficiency wood burning fireplaces. Our whole winter bills for heating and hot water which is also gas is under $2,000. Our electric is about the same thing for the year since we run a/c daily in summer. Our wood of course is free, so that helps. Our house is about 1700 sq ft. two levels and the door is always open in winter for the dogs and people coming in and out on a pretty steady basis.
    Our winters are mostly in the -40 range and last about 7 mos. Guess I will count my blessings.

It gets harder every year. I set the thermostat to 40 F, dress warmly and use space heaters. The birds get two heat lamps and an electric blanket at night and on extra cold days. (Belladonna has discovered how to nap ontop of the cockatoo's cage.) We manage. The cats and dog develop lovely coats. It doesn't do my artheritis much good though. Last winter was rough. This year I will probably shut off most of the rooms and the guys and I will make do with a smaller space. Hopefully the guys will get along well enough for this to work. Added body heat might help with that! Wisconsin gets cold!