Thread: JUMPING, SCRATCHING and BITING!!!

JUMPING, SCRATCHING and BITING!!!

I don't get it!!! What's wrong with this 1 month old kitten? He was once a nice cuddly kitten, now he's a monster! He jumps on me and scratches me and bites me, all with with my hands and legs!

What do you think happened to this kitty? Is this normal for him to start acting like a DOG?

This worries me alot since I have 3 kids, who are being attacked by him, and they think it's a game.

He raises his back like an arch and raises his tail up high and then ATTACKS!!!

Plz anyone, how do I stop him from doing this?

Thanks all :\

Its common for any young animal to jump, scratch and bite. They are exploring their world, and testing themselves to see what they can do. If its scratching people or furniture, tell them "No", so that they know its a good thing. He should calm down once with time. Just be patient with this new life.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Get that baby kitten (lion) some posts

I would run to the store and buy some scratching posts and lots of things to keep it busy. I would get some stuffed animals, and let it work out on them. My guys were beginning to attack me when they were kittens, and I distracted them with toys, toys, toys and boxes and bags (and expensive mantle clocks....) and earings....some of these things not by choice! I do believe your kitty will redirect its energys given the chance.

Good luck and keep us posted.

oven mitt

I once had a kitten with extra energy who loved to play with my hand like it was a kitten, scratching and biting and being so cute as he drew blood.

I bought an inexpensive oven mitt to protect my hand, and it soon became our new game. He loved to play with his "oven-mitt" brother and we had hours of fun with it.

As terrifying as it may sound, your kitten is sounding quite normal. Without a littermate to play with, he is relying on the humans to be his playmates.

(also, a long sleeved shirt is recommended when playing with the kitty an the mitt, as they do have a way of figuring out where the mitt ends and the flesh begins )

good luck and have fun.

Sounds like you got yourself an entergetic kitty, this should be fun!

As people have said, this is normal behaviour for a kitten. I imagine most of us reading your post are having fond memories of our cats when they were the same age...

You can buy as many expensive toys as possible but there are few products on the market that are as good as string, boxes and screwed-up newspaper.

...my solution was to go back to the breeder I got my little kitten from and buy his brother!

You probably don't need to hear it again....but...how so normal for a kitten! He probably was a bit shy when you got him, or small, and now has his game on. I look at people like they are nuts when they say, "I love kittens, but not cats". Geesh. Give me a junior cat any day. Kittens are tough...like toddlers..into the world. But, constant redirection of energy- especially the biting,clawing, etc., PLUS another kitten will help. Kittens learn their limits when with other kittens. They learn what is too hard of a bite, rough play (well, for the most part) by the other kittens reaction. Please wait out this rough period, and discourage your kids from rough housing with the kitten. Can't wait to hear the first time Kitty climbs the drapes or shower curtain! Good luck.

We are having the same problem with Basil...I often think to myself..is it time for him to grow up yet? But then he looks at me and I just want to play with and love him!

I redirect his attention to a stuffed mouse, a long furcovered thing, a beaded necklace or Noah and Noel. At times, he just wants to play and bit my fingers...so, I have to shake the squirt bottle and he stops. You can also put the kitty down and walk away. That worked really well with Noah.

Good luck! Let us know how things work out!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

bite and scratch

after watching a National Geo program on cats i noticed that mom cats play with the kittens but get snippy when they get out of control.

My cat was very young when he was taken away frm the litter and didn't learn the 'social etiquette' that came from mom.
    Mom cats DO bite and swat the little ones to make sure they learn manners. My cat Edward (eddie when he behaves) had that habit and when he would bite i'd pinch him (VERY GENTLY) to get his attention and tell him NO in a loud voice.

I once had a dog who would bite and he learned that the harder he bit the pinches would be more regular.

Animals are very smart and they will associate the action with the reaction.......

I do not advocate animal abuse or any mistreatment of cats/dogs...pinching sounds cruel and a form of mistreatment but
    i have noticed that animal moms sometimes use TEETH and CLAWS to get their point across.......PLEASE DO NOT PINCH THE ANIMALS HARD!

i now can play with the cat and suffer very little in the way of scratches and bites.......

MaMa knows best

When I went to the breeder to pick up my two Abys, the breeder said that the Mama cats like it when their litter leaves the house, and that the Mama cats actually get tired of dealing with the kittens. It is natural for the herd to thin after a few months, so by someone taking the kittens off site, it follows how it would be in real herd life.....herd is not the right word, but you get my drift?

So, back to the Mama thing. If you ever saw a Mama cat or dog with the offsprings....they really let them have it once in awhile, to keep them in line. When my cats get out of hand, I usually scoop them up and confine them tightly so they will stay still and listen...right!

I don't think it is bad to try to refine the kittens bad habits and only you know what works for you and your pet. I think each kitty is a bit different.

Pinching, well, I have never tried it but I have done a head (between the eyes) tapping.........with my finger......to get their attention. That seemed to work to. Also, holding them by the back of their neck also mimicks their Mama's treatment and handling.

Kittens, can't live with them and can't live without them.

Basil is being acceptionally "kitten-like" today...he's attacking and biting my hands, especially while I'm typing! It is very annoying....patience...right?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

manners...

thanks sasvermont!

as i drove home i was panicked about the 'pinching'...

i was not clear.....the nape of the neck is the place to
    GENTLY pinch while saying NO....

thanks for straightening me out.

Persian White - where are you?

I just wanted to follow-up and see how you and your kitty were doing.