Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU change the litterbox?

How do YOU change the litterbox?

I thought this would be an interesting thread!

I have just finished cleaning my place. During this time, I cleaned the litterbox and it got me to thinking about them. I wondered...

How do PTers clean their litterboxes?

I empty the whole dirty contents into a bag and it goes into the garbage outside. Then, I put the box in the bathtub. I rinse the box out. I put a cleaner (usually bleach) into the box and let it sit for a few seconds. It gets rinsed out a couple of times. A squeeze of my shampoo goes into the box, sits, and gets rinsed out. That is just for the scent. It gets rid of any smells (bleach, doody, etc.). Air dry, fresh litter! The tub gets cleaned with bleach and ajax. That's it!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I put the entire box inside a large garbage bag and turn it upside down. I beat on the bottom of it until everything falls out. Then I take the box out of the garbage bag and take the bag outside. Then, I pour about a capful of bleach into the box and run hot water from the shower into it. I swirl the water around some, then empty the water into the toilet and flush. I take some paper towels and dry it thoroughly. Then, in goes a couple of cups of Feline Pine topped by cheapo clay litter. 10 seconds after I set it down, Willow comes over and poops in it!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98
    I put the entire box inside a large garbage bag and turn it upside down. I beat on the bottom of it until everything falls out. Then I take the box out of the garbage bag and take the bag outside. Then, I pour about a capful of bleach into the box and run hot water from the shower into it. I swirl the water around some, then empty the water into the toilet and flush. I take some paper towels and dry it thoroughly. Then, in goes a couple of cups of Feline Pine topped by cheapo clay litter. 10 seconds after I set it down, Willow comes over and poops in it!
    Soni used to do that ALL the time! Now Isis has taken up the position of Resident Litter Tester.

Cassie does the same thing as Willow!! I asked the vet about this - is there some reason for her using a clean box almost immediately? He said not to worry, she might be doing this as a way to reassure herself that it is still "her" box after I've cleaned it and therefore made it not smell like her.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I scoop until I can't scoop anymore.
    Then I dump it into a trash can, sweep around the box and can. I might do what Wenisrubber does and soap it up and rinse it out, dry it out with paper towels, I usually spray it with Lysol or Cooking oil spray, b/c it keeps litter from sticking.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by Wenisrubber
    I thought this would be an interesting thread!

I have just finished cleaning my place. During this time, I cleaned the litterbox and it got me to thinking about them. I wondered...

How do PTers clean their litterboxes?

I empty the whole dirty contents into a bag and it goes into the garbage outside. Then, I put the box in the bathtub. I rinse the box out. I put a cleaner (usually bleach) into the box and let it sit for a few seconds. It gets rinsed out a couple of times. A squeeze of my shampoo goes into the box, sits, and gets rinsed out. That is just for the scent. It gets rid of any smells (bleach, doody, etc.). Air dry, fresh litter! The tub gets cleaned with bleach and ajax. That's it!

I'm doing exactly the same, I only use a disinfectant (from the pet store) for cleaning. While the litter boxes are in the tub, I clean the floor where the boxes are usually placed. And after the entire procedure, I disinfect the bathing tub also.

BTW, I do this every couple of weeks, depending on the smell. Usually I only remove poop and pee biscuits (several times a day), but when the box is getting smelly, we'll have our big Litterbox Cleaning Day!

Funny thing is, the girls always use their box immediately after it's been cleaned! I'm sure it's their way to tell me and each other: "This one's mine!"

Kirsten

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Another thing that's weird.... We have two large litter boxes side-by-side (in case more than 1 has to go at the same time). Evidently our kitties have come to some agreement. They poop in one and pee in the other. Somehow they worked out this arrangement and have all agreed to it.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I scoop into a double plastic grocery store plastic bag and then dispose in the plastic bags garbage bins set out by the City as they are picked up daily. I miss the garbage shutes we had in the apartments as they were so handy for litter disposal.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Jack nearly always uses a fresh litter tray too! I have always wondered why he does it, my mum says perhaps he thinks that he needs to impress me by showing me he still likes it even though I've cleaned and is showing his appreciation by using it accordingly, hehe

Another thing that's weird.... We have two large litter boxes side-by-side (in case more than 1 has to go at the same time). Evidently our kitties have come to some agreement. They poop in one and pee in the other. Somehow they worked out this arrangement and have all agreed to it.

When Lilith was still around Vixen and her agreed on the same arrangement. They had 3 boxes for the 2 of them. One was the peepee box, one was the poopie box and the other was the emergency box (in case they couldn't make it to the right box or if it was being used). The emergency box was for both. My girls were nuts but oh so cute. It is so adorable the little quirks they have.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Litterbox cleaning the Michelle way.

I have 6 litterboxes to clean completely once about every 2 weeks. I scoop several times a day. When it comes to complete clean up it goes something like this. I start with the litterbox in the kitchen. I scoop out everything that can be scooped out and then use the scoop to make sure all the litter from the bottom is loose. The litter then goes into a small garbage bag which is lightly scented. I then take the box into the bathroom and use the handheld shower to blast it with hot water. I then use a special cleaner and disinfectant from the pet store (just for stinky kitties ). Rince once more with hot water and dry with paper towel and then the hair dryer (make sure all the water is gone gone gone). I then take it back to the kitchen and add litterbox deodrant and then litter. Then I proceed to the next and the next until they are all done. In the meanwhile Vixen follows me to make sure everything is done correctly and the minute the box ix laid down she does a little pee to claim it as hers. Then Phoenix does the same and then Bella. So within 2 minutes or so after each box is clean I have 3 pees in them.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Only difference with my method was using Natures Miracle.
    That really took care of the odors.

Once a week I empty all 5 inside litter boxes into a super-duper heavy weight garbage bag, scraping everything off the bottoms. This goes in a special trash can outside. Then I line the litter boxes up outside on the patio and spray them thoroughly. Brush with an old dish brush, rinse thoroughly and dry with a towel. Refill and replace.

I also have 5 litter boxes outside in a specially-built shelter and a kids' old playhouse. They get scooped daily and a sprinkle of Arm & Hammer weekly. I clean them thoroughly about every other week. They get less use.

No one seems to be in a hurry to use them when I finish.

I do what you do. Because I use Feline Pine, I wait till the pellets turn into sawdust (cleaning out the poos everyday) then I dump it into a "Flexforce" trash bag (that's a whole other story) and take it to the dumpster.

I use the FF bags because one time I carrying a bag full of litter to the trash, when the cheap bag I was using burst, covering my stairs with icky litter, poos, etc.

I clean out my boxes with Nok-Out, an enzyme cleaner that is safe for all animals. Also gets the smell out of the plastic of the box. I replace my litterboxes every couple of years.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Since I use the Tidy Cat Crystals and we only have one cat, I only have to clean it thoroughly and change litter once a month. But basically our procedure the the same as all of yours

facebook