Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Manson follower denied compassionate release

UPDATE: Manson follower denied compassionate release

I searched and searched for the original posted here, but could not find it. Here's the update.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/0...-follower.html

Manson follower denied compassionate release
    Last Updated: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 | 8:05 PM ET
    The Associated Press

A follower of Charles Manson who stabbed pregnant actress Sharon Tate to death nearly 40 years ago but is dying of brain cancer in a California prison was denied compassionate release Tuesday.

The California Board of Parole released its unanimous decision on the release of Susan Atkins hours after a 90-minute hearing, during which it heard impassioned pleas from both sides.

Atkins's attorney, Eric P. Lampel, filed a motion July 10 with Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge David Wesley asking for his client's release no matter what the parole board recommended. No hearing has been set, Lampel said after the hearing.

"We're going to be able to make the case in court. We'll take it to the next step," he said after being informed of the board's decision by the Associated Press.

Atkins's doctors and officials at the women's prison in Corona made the request in March because of her deteriorating health. She also has had her left leg amputated and is paralyzed on her right side, her husband, James Whitehouse, told the California Board of Parole Hearings.

Whitehouse, also acting as one of his wife's attorneys, had argued she was so debilitated that she could not even sit up in bed. He told the parole board there was no longer a reason to keep her incarcerated.

"She literally can't snap her fingers," he said. "She can put sentences together three or four times a day, but that's the extent of it."

He said doctors have given her three months to live. Atkins, in a hospital near the Southern California prison where she was housed for nearly 40 years, did not attend Tuesday's hearing.

The request for compassionate leave generated opposition from relatives of the victims, the state Corrections Department, Los Angeles County prosecutors and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"Those kinds of crimes are just so unbelievable that I am not for compassionate release in that case," Schwarzenegger said Tuesday before the parole board issued its decision.

Atkins, Manson and two other cult members, Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie Van Houten, were tried for the 1969 cult killings of Tate; Leno and Rosemary La Bianca; and four others. Tate, the wife of filmmaker Roman Polanski, was 8½ months pregnant.

The defendants maintained their innocence throughout the trial. Once convicted, the women confessed to the killings during the penalty phase.

On the stand, Atkins recounted her role in stabbing Tate, who pleaded for the life of her unborn baby. Atkins claimed she was on LSD at the time but did not apologize for the crime until a parole hearing years later.

The defendants were sentenced to death, but their terms were commuted to life sentences when the U.S. Supreme Court temporarily ruled the death penalty unconstitutional. Manson and the two other women remain in state prison.

Atkins has spent 37 years in the California Institution for Women, where she has been held longer than any other female inmate in state history. She was transferred to the hospital in March.

Compassionate releases are rare in California, with just 10 of 60 requests granted last year, Corrections Department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said.
    © The Canadian Press, 2008
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

For someone who showed absolutely NO compassion for a pregnant mother and her unborn child, she does not deserve compassion. She also admitted to tasting her victims blood.

I hope they uphold her conviction, and she dies in a prison hospital.
    Last edited by kt_luvs_kitties; 07-17-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Quote Originally Posted by kt_luvs_kitties View Post
    For someone who showed absolutely NO compassion for a pregnant mother and her unborn child, she does not deserve compassion. She also admitted to tasting her victims blood.

I hope they uphold thre conviction, and she dies in a prison hospital.
    Thank you & took the words right out of my mouth.. I dont think she even needs the luxury of a hospital (that of course us tax payers are paying for) = for her to die in.. That was so so horrible of all the killing they did..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I'm not surprised her release was opposed & denied. She chose her fate
    many years ago. It was a horrible crime.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Too bad, so sad (NOT). Why should SHE be shown any compassion??

Right on Katie!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I was a kid when this was happening here in El Lay.

Scary stuff when you are young and these morons are tripping around in your backyard. She screwed up big time and was sentenced for her crime.

------------

Now, here's my 'view'.

She's practically dead now. She's paralyzed, crippled and is going to die.

She's not in prison anymore, she's in a hospital.

Which would be worse for you?

Spending 37 years in prison and dying there?

Or

Spending three free months - more or less - before you die, stuck in a bed not able to move?

There is a bit of justice there. Your last days thinking about what you would have done if you hadn't screwed up.

I understand the need to have justice carried out, but I also believe in compassion and dignity.

I also believe in the death penalty for murder and an 'Eye for an Eye'.

She escaped the 'law of the land' at that time, but she can't escape fate.

That's why I am split on the topic.

She did screw up, and she needs to face those consequences, and to me, even if she was just a torso at the moment, I wouldn't care. She killed someone, stabbed them how many times, and the person was 8 1/2 months pregnant.

Why do we want to let people off of facing consequences of things they have done that have hurt others? We do this too often, in too many different situations, and I think people need to be held responsible for their actions.

Let her be miserable to the end. Why show compassion to someone who showed none? Sorry, but that's how I feel. Guess I'll never be Buddhist or whatever, huh??

JennLibrarian,

Let her be miserable to the end. Why show compassion to someone who showed none? Sorry, but that's how I feel. Guess I'll never be Buddhist or whatever, huh??
    I guess I'm with you, Jenn. Neither will I.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    Guess I'll never be Buddhist or whatever, huh??
    Shaving you head and dressing in a sheet really is over-rated.

I guess I come from the stand point of making someone think about what they did.

I remember being a kid and having to sit on the sidelines while the world passed by. I had the ability to get up join the fun, but because of an sickness or an accident, I could not.

What could be more screwed up than being free, but not being able to do anything you have dreamed about for 37 years?

Sometimes anger can be jail sentence too.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Shaving you head and dressing in a sheet really is over-rated.

I guess I come from the stand point of making someone think about what they did.

I remember being a kid and having to sit on the sidelines while the world passed by. I had the ability to get up join the fun, but because of an sickness or an accident, I could not.

What could be more screwed up than being free, but not being able to do anything you have dreamed about for 37 years?

Sometimes anger can be jail sentence too.
    My sister is currently caring for her husband's aunt who is dying of multiple cancerous tumors, one being a large brain tumor. As of June 1st she was given 4-6 weeks to live. Here we are 6 weeks later and she is still going but has lost a lot of her memory. From what my sister has told me she can no longer remember why she is there, why she needs a wheelchair or what exactly is going on. She's lucid but I doubt she is pondering the past -she's more like a child living in 30 second moments. My guess is things are probably similar for Atkins so I doubt she would be punished like you think.

My opinion is it probably doesn't really make a difference to Atkins at this point (she's probably not that aware or at least won't be soon) and for the families of her victims having her serve her full sentence of life is more important.

I have to say though, I do like your thinking.

From Decker with Love

Richard, she will have plenty of time to think about what she did in Hell

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Quote Originally Posted by kt_luvs_kitties View Post

exactly.
    she deserves to stay right where she is.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Jazz,

Not to be a jerk or anything.....Was your BIL's aunt an evil person? I didn't think so.

Sometimes the worst possible scenarios are the kindest. My dad had AZ and I was glad that he didn't really realize what he was going through before he died. Your sister is a saint in my book.

It's very sad to see a good person suffer, the opposite would be to see an evil person outlive their victims while in jail.

You made a very interesting point.

...for the families of her victims having her serve her full sentence of life is more important.

I think that the Tate and LoBianco families wanted her to die under the death sentence. Now that she has been given a death sentence - And for sure, doctors aren't gods and unless the state had given her the DP, no one will know when Atkins will check out.

I know that the families were very involved in the hearings for her parole. But the thought of putting my life on hold to make a trip to a prison hearing every few years puzzles me.

The thought of putting a few hours into a victim's rights cause seems more creative. The recent 'cottage industry' of passing laws or starting foundations is one way of honoring your loved ones or righting a wrong.

--------------------

KT,

Hell.....I've tried to find that on a map.
    I don't think it exists!

KT,

Hell.....I've tried to find that on a map.
    I don't think it exists!
    not true
    there is a Hell, Michigan!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    not true
    there is a Hell, Michigan!
    Smart arse.