Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Prayer Needed For Emma... UPDATE

Emergency Prayer Needed For Emma... UPDATE 7/27/09

EDIT: Update http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...89#post2173589

My in-laws cat went missing for about five days, and Saturday morning she finally came crawling home (literally - crawling). She was in a lot of pain and won't eat or drink, and was leaking fluid from her anus and vagina... called the vet that day, described the situation and said it was probably an abscess from a male trying to mate with her eventhough she is spayed, and she freaked out and tried pulling away and that may have caused some irritation or damage on the inside.

Sunday she was moving around a little more but still not eating or drinking very much and still painful when touched. And she hadn't urinated or defecated since coming home on Saturday. Call the vet again and set up an appointment for Monday morning...

Monday she is brought in and has xrays taken, turns out the disc in the very base of her tail is broken and her tail will have to be amputated (she won't even have a nub!) since essentially now it's just a dead limb. That surgery is scheduled for Wednesday.

However, that isn't what alarms them... by Monday she still hasn't urinated or defecated and the vet is afraid that she has some damage to her spinal cord and she can't urinate/defecate on her own. He manually expressed her bladder (which I'm learning about in school now, actually!), and the problem isn't being able to express it because I can do that manually, it's being able to do it on her own...

They're afraid she was hit by a car, or someone while she was missing yanked very hard on her tail or hit her with a heavy object, in other words she has suffered some severe trauma.

If she doesn't urinate or defecate on her own by Wednesday, she will have to be humanely euthanized.....

So please... keep Emma in your prayers... and pray that she goes on her own!!!! The surgery and tail amputation isn't the problem... its loss of her intestinal and bladder function we're worried about... but come Wednesday if she still hasn't gone on her own, it's the only humane decision we can make for her so she doesn't have to go through this pain any longer....

Emma is on the left, her brother Alex on the right.

Please, please keep her in your thoughts and prayers, guys... she is such a sweet little girl and so young, too... only a little over a year old!!!!
    Last edited by Jessika; 07-27-2009 at 12:47 PM.

facebook

Poor little Emma! She'll be in our prayers, that she regains her ability to "go" on her own.
    I've Been Frosted

Poor Emma! Thoughts and prayers coming from Connecticut.

Please keep us posted. That poor precious baby.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

What a sad situation. I do hope that she improves and is able to have her surgery.

Oh MY! This is terriable for poor Emma. Please Lord, help this poor baby!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Prayers for Emma have been said and will continue.

Miracles happen all the time - I hope and pray that with antibiotics and healing, that she will begin to recover function. As long as she STARTS to, there is hope!

HUGS! Heal up, little Emma!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you all so much... it really means a lot to my inlaws.

What's sad is she is still so friendly and alert and... well I don't want to say active because she can't for obvious reasons, but we have her confined to the bathroom so if she uses the litterbox we KNOW its her, and when I go to visit her she just wants so much love and attention and she wants out of the bathroom so bad, haha. Eventhough she's injured it hasn't stopped her spirit.

facebook

She sounds like a wonderful and loving cat. Prayers on the way....
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

If she can't relieve herself, is it possible for you to continue to express her manually? I'm not really familiar with the procedure, but have heard of other animals that need assistance with things like this. Perhaps it has been in one of Critters' handicapped threads. I only asked because you said you were learning to do this yourself. Is it something that can be done long term or not? I'm really hoping she improves. I'm glad that she seems to be in good spirits though.

I'm so sorry to hear about Emma! She is so lovely and it's awful to hear about what she may have gone through (hit by car or injured by a person). It sounds like she is in alot of discomfort and I will certainly pray for her that she will begin to use the litterbox on her own.
    Is there anyway to put her by herself in a bedroom with a tv so she has some background noise going so it isn't so lonely for her? Or in a bedroom where other people can keep her company? It sounds like she is so affectionate and maybe 'being' with her family or in an environment that is more normal might inspire her to relax and 'go' if she is able to. Just a thought. Prayers and hugs going out for Emma.

Poor Emma! That sweet face of her's just tugs at the heart strings.

I hope that she'll be ok, and that you won't have to euthanize her.

It's just so horrible that some one would hit her with a car and leave her, or purposely hurt her. I am just so losing faith in our society these days!

Big healing and tender hugs and scritchies to Emma. Get better sweetie!!

Oh, no!

I am so, so sorry to hear about what's going on with poor little Emma! You all must just be going crazy with worry, and the waiting without being able to do anything is SO upsetting.

Sending BIG prayers and lots of positive thoughts from our whole family to yours.

Love & hugs,
    Diana

Yes, many cats live long happy lives having to have their bladder manually expressed, however I'm unsure about how to manually make her defecate, or if that is even possible... as of now, she is so impacted that even if she wanted to go it will probably be so painful for her... the vet did empty her bladder today, when I checked her a few hours ago there were claw marks in the litter box where it appeared she TRIED to go but didn't...

If its a matter of having to manually express her bladder for the remainder of her life or not, I'm not sure if that's something my inlaws are able to take on to be honest... they aren't heartless people, their lives are just so busy right now running their own business. I live here now but I'm at school nine hours out of the day, but I won't always live with them to do it, you know?

I guess we will just have to see how she progresses and see what the vet has to say on Wednesday.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers, they mean SO much to us right now!!!

facebook

I pray Emma makes some progress, and that the vet can un-impact her on Wednesday to give her more comfort.

There are people that will take on a special needs pet - but let's wait and see what the vet says.

Come on, Emma - surprise everyone!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda