Thread: cat bad habit

cat bad habit

I have a big orange tabby cat, male. He has recently started to pee in a certain corner of my kitchen. Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can stop him from doing this. I'm really starting to become annoyed with him. Also any Ideas on getting the smell out of my kitchen (linoleum):confused. I've tried using ammonia but that doesn' seem to be working

Quote Originally Posted by daisybee View Post
    I have a big orange tabby cat, male. He has recently started to pee in a certain corner of my kitchen. Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can stop him from doing this. I'm really starting to become annoyed with him. Also any Ideas on getting the smell out of my kitchen (linoleum):confused. I've tried using ammonia but that doesn' seem to be working

You need to use a cleaner like "Nature's Miracle" which breaks down the enzymes that not only cause the smell, but make the cat think "Oooh, good pee spot!" How old is he? Any recent changes in the household? And because he's male, is he neutered?

Is it an out-of-the-way corner you could stick a litterbox in?
    I've Been Frosted

1) Make an appointment with your vet to rule out a medical problem like a Urinary Tract Infection (URI).

2) Like Karen said, buy an enzyme cleaner to help clean up the pee area so he won't want to go there again. I've been using Simple Solution which you can buy at most pet stores.

3) Make sure that his litter box is very clean and you may also need to try an unscented litter. I'd recommend Cat Attract by Dr. Elsey which will help cats to start using their litter boxes again. It also comes with a booklet inside that tells you more about solving litter box problems.

4) You can also try buying some Feliway/Comfort Zone in a spray and after you clean up the area with an enzyme solution then spray it with Feliway to help prevent him from wanting to pee here again. You can also buy the plugins to help keep him calm and will hopefully prevent this problem 24/7.

5) If he only has one litter box then please buy him at least 1-2 more. The rule of thumb is to have at least one more litter box than you do cats.

6) I'm assuming that he's already neutered but if he isn't then you need to get him fixed asap.

I know that this is frustrating but hopefully some if not all of these things mentioned above will help you to solve his problem. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    1) Make an appointment with your vet to rule out a medical problem like a Urinary Tract Infection (URI).

2) Like Karen said, buy an enzyme cleaner to help clean up the pee area so he won't want to go there again. I've been using Simple Solution which you can buy at most pet stores.

3) Make sure that his litter box is very clean and you may also need to try an unscented litter. I'd recommend Cat Attract by Dr. Elsey which will help cats to start using their litter boxes again. It also comes with a booklet inside that tells you more about solving litter box problems.

4) You can also try buying some Feliway/Comfort Zone in a spray and after you clean up the area with an enzyme solution then spray it with Feliway to help prevent him from wanting to pee here again. You can also buy the plugins to help keep him calm and will hopefully prevent this problem 24/7.

5) If he only has one litter box then please buy him at least 1-2 more. The rule of thumb is to have at least one more litter box than you do cats.

6) I'm assuming that he's already neutered but if he isn't then you need to get him fixed asap.

I know that this is frustrating but hopefully some if not all of these things mentioned above will help you to solve his problem. Good luck.
    She suggested everything that I was going to say so the only thing that I can add is another enzyme cleaner you can try is Urine Gone. You can buy it even in grocery stores here in Ohio. Be sure when you clean the area to totally saturate it w/Urine Gone, scrub it, then clean it again. You want to get the ammonia smell out, not put more in.

Also, even though he's male, sometimes they'll squat to pee when they have a medical problem. If it's vertical spraying, it's usually behavioral, at least w/my cats. That may not be the case w/yours. So, to be on the safe side, be sure to get your kitty checked by your vet. Let us know how things turn out.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

little more info

I put my cat out on a leash, and he only goes (pees) when I don't put him out when he wants to go out. It's usually early in the morning. He usually gets up, eats and then immediately wants to go out. Most times I catch him in time, but there are times when i'm busy and don't get to him in time. I know he knows that he's not supposed to be doing that because as soon as I yell DILBERT!, (I know, strange name). My husband is in computers. He takes off and hides so I think its more habit than health.

You need to get him to a vet to rule out crystals in his urine or a UTI. Cats don't pee inappropriately unless there is something wrong, usually a Urinary Tract Infection.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

What's been suggested already are very good tips.

Only thing I can add to it is to take a urine sample to your vet. Several of my cats had infections we didn't know about until we did a urine sample on everyone.

It's not that hard to get a urine sample from a kitty, yours sounds even easier than mine since yours seems to have a schedule. Just keep a low cup handy, when the kitty goes out, or goes in the sandbox just slide the cup underneath. You might get a few stares and your hand might get a bit wet, but you'll have your sample.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I put my cat out on a leash, and he only goes (pees) when I don't put him out when he wants to go out. It's usually early in the morning. He usually gets up, eats and then immediately wants to go out. Most times I catch him in time, but there are times when i'm busy and don't get to him in time. I know he knows that he's not supposed to be doing that because as soon as I yell DILBERT!, (I know, strange name). My husband is in computers. He takes off and hides so I think its more habit than health.
    Does this mean that he doesn't have a litter box that he can use? The way you've worded it here, it sounds more like something you'd do with a dog than a cat. If he likes to pee outside then maybe you should think about installing a kitty door so he can come and go throughout the day as he pleases. That is if you live in a safe area. Good luck.

He has two litter boxes, and he goes outside on a leash because he likes it. I am getting really tired of posting questions on this site and being made out to be someone who doesn't know how to care for their pets. He's not allowed to go outside and roam the neighborhood he is on a leash that lets him lay out in the sun or shade when the weather is nice otherwise he is inside and well cared for.

He has two litter boxes, and he goes outside on a leash because he likes it. I am getting really tired of posting questions on this site and being made out to be someone who doesn't know how to care for their pets. He's not allowed to go outside and roam the neighborhood he is on a leash that lets him lay out in the sun or shade when the weather is nice otherwise he is inside and well cared for.
    Gosh, daisybee, I was kind of surprised to see your response to that post! As a cat owner who has gotten all kinds of help and support from this forum, I can tell you that sometimes people will ask questions that can feel "accusatory", but are usually just a way for people who are total strangers to you and your pets to figure out what kind of a situation you're dealing with so that they can give you a better informed suggestion..

Some cats "go" outside exclusively, and some cats (sure not mine!) are even toilet trained. Since you hadn't mentioned your litter box situation, it wasn't an "out of line" question IMHO.

But to the important part -- which is you and Dilbert getting onto the same "pee" wavelength -- I can tell you that when I had a similar situation recently, and after a vet visit ruled out a UTI, I had excellent luck with Nature's Miracle, the Feliway diffuser (though in your case the spray would probably be better), and the Cat Attract litter.

Best of luck!
    Diana

I'm sorry that you took my post the wrong way. I never said that you didn't know how to care for your pets. I just never heard of a cat going outside on a leash to go outside and pee. Once again I'm sorry.

Hi, I would first consult a vet in case it's a medical issue first. If the vet confirms that it isn't, then I would put a second litter box by the area that he pees by. You could always buy the ones with a cover for it...I know it doesn't sound appealling to have it in the kitchen of all places-but maybe it will help.

Like everyone said, make sure to rule out a UTI.

Never use ammonia, because cats think it is urine, and makes them WANT to potty there. That just draws them in.

Get natures miracle, clean up real good in that area. Add a box, and see if that helps

Maybe try a new kitty litter as well.

And we only ask questions, not to be nasty, but to get info to help.
    Sometimes we cant decifer language, and stuff over the net. Don't take it so hard, noone means or intends to be nasty, or accuse you of anything.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Hi, your cat?

How is he/she doing now?

Is your cat drinking alot of water? Did you take it to the vet? My ragdoll cat named skunk was peeing all over the floor (any cold area) and I took him to the vet after he wouldn't stop. I found out he is a diabetic. No worries though, it is a bit expensive, but well worth it. He's much better now and going potty in his box.
    I hope your cat is better too!

Love n prayers~sunnee

Maybe try putting a litter box in the corner where he pees all the time.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome