Thread: Ozzy has the runs :(

Ozzy has the runs :(

I'm thinking this is due to the heat. He's been this way about 24 hours. He was up and down, out and in, all night long until I couldn't do that anymore soI left him in the kitchen (easy clean up on the linoleum) where he went 5 times in about 4 hours.

It is SO hot here.

We have central air and have had it on right through. Last night, the "low" was only 74, so we kept the windows closed and the a/c on all night. The 2 nights prior, we shut off the a/c and opened the windows as it was cooling down to 67 or so.

Ozzy has a sensitive stomach. Normally, I can not tamper with his food, not the timing and not the mix. Any change, even small, and he throws up. So now I don't know if I should try the "bland" diet of rice and hamburg or just wait it out for the heat to break.

I did phone his vet's office, they suggested trying the bland diet, and / or bringing him in, with a stool sample (THAT will be messy). They thought I could wait until Thursday on bringing him in, if nothing else changes, as that is when the heat is finally going to break.

I don't "see" him drinking any water. But we've been out twice today for about 2 hours each time, for doc appts for Dad. I know he drank some during the night, saw and heard him.

Just not sure what to do for him.

Oh, Ozzy, I'm so sorry to hear this. Try to keep cool, honeybuns. Try to drink lotsa of water for your mom, too, okay. Don't want to get dehydrated from the heat or the loose stools.

Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

oH my poor wittle Ozzy.. I hope you get to feeling better soon.. Take some tummy meds to feel better.. Lots of tummy rubs & wet nose kisses..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

This weather is not fit for human or canine life if you ask me! I do hope that Ozzy will stay hydrated and this will pass. Is he peeing? The heat can really mess up our systems. My thermometer on the deck read 110 today but it was in the direct sun. Keep us posted on Ozzy. (((Hugs))) to you. I know how worried you are.

Kaopectate used to be safe for cats with diarrhea. IT IS NOT ANYMORE due to the addition of bismuth which can be toxic to cats.

Ask your vet if you should be pushing fluids. They may be able to give you a 5 cc syringe and you could squirt some water in his mouth as per their directions. Bean was just sick with heatstroke this weekend and I was going to start doing that but didn't have a syringe and by the time I would have found a way to get one, he was drinking on his own.

It should start to cool off Tomorrow. Quick recovery Ozzy!!

Oh Ozzy!!
    You need to drink water honey!!

I hope you're feeling better soon!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

If he may not be getting enough water, you can pour some over his kibble (or whatever you feed him).

I hope you feel better soon Ozzy!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Well he IS drinking water. (I didn't say he wasn't, just that I didn't know. Sorry that misled folks)

Tonight I gave him rice and hard boiled eggs. He ate about half of what he normally eats, but as it is something he has not had before, that seemed good.

He is still runny and now there seems to be some blood. That could be because he is straining to go. Will keep an eye of him, hope to make it through the night and get him to the vet in the morning. I am (unfortunately) very familiar with the ER vet, if I need to get him there tonight.

Would it upset his stomach if you added some plain canned pumpkin to his food (it will make his poo firmer)? There could be blood because of stressing the bowels.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone