Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with my kitty?

What's wrong with my kitty?

I have a male cat, about 11 years old. He's been acting poorly for a few months, losing weight, his last checkup revealed nothing of signficance except some decreased renal function.

He has been limping for a few weeks, we thought it was arthritis and were going to take him to the vet, then yesterday he suddenly lost control of his back left side. He appears to walk in circles, like he's dragging the leg. We took him to the ER clinic (the vet was closed), all they did was some blood work, wanted to test for FLV but we declined due to costs and didn't think it was addressing the issue, anyways. They gave sq fluids and sent him home.

We saw his vet this morning, he's still limping, the vet said it could be his thyroid and took a blood test, the results won't be back until tomorrow. He still has the same symptoms, lack of control of his back hind quarters, especially on the left side.

He is eating and drinking, grooms, and tries to use the litter box but can't manage it, we have him a shallow pan and help him, he paws at it then just flops over.He did manage to go, poor baby, he keeps wanting to use his "big box" in the garage but can't climb in.

I really think he has a dislocated hip or perhaps broken bone. Why don't they x-ray it? Also, how is a dislocated hip diagnosed and treated?

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated, I don't think hypothyroid would cause him to limp and favor one side.

That almost sounds like nerve damage or a back injury. I'd get a second opinion if I were you.

Love, Columbine

How worrisome!

I don't see how a thyroid problem could cause this back leg issue. So I agree with Columbine, seek out a second opinion.

I don't understand what the ER vet did at all.

Quote Originally Posted by columbine View Post
    That almost sounds like nerve damage or a back injury. I'd get a second opinion if I were you.

Love, Columbine
    Yes, I agree, it sounds like some sort of nerve damage or perhaps a stroke.

I do so agree with your tag about if you can't afford vet care don't get a pet!

But it just isn't always that easy. When we adopted Benard our finances were different, we're both laid off now and barely getting by. But we did take him to the ER and vet, seems like they're dropping the ball.

I agree a second opinion is warrented, but we could barely afford the first one

We don't want him in pain, we will see what the thyroid test shows tomorrow and how he fares, but...............we're starting to think he may have to be PTS. If it is a dislocated hip or nerve damage the treatment would be too expensive and wouldn't cure anything, we don't want him to spend his remaining days in pain.

Poor baby, he's such a proud kitty, he still keeps trying to use his regular litter box, he doesn't want to use the small one we provided for him. I tried lifting him in it, he urinated some, but he doesn't have the back leg control to "squat' and pass urine or stool. I'm afraid he will back up and be in horrible pain. Tonight I'm staying up with him all night, he's in a comfortable box in my office where I can keep an eye on him, but he can't function on his own.

If your funds are limited don't go to an ER, they charge 4x as much as a regular vet. I got the impression they lost interest in us when we said we couldn't pay the $795 they wanted for a complete workup. She just flounced off to the next customer. I wish I could finc a caring, compassionate vet who could just give an opinion without costing a fortune, but its all about the money!

Here's what the ER did:

Exam
    complete profile
    Subcutaneous fluids total $320

Buprenex
    cysto by ultrasound
    urinalysis multistix
    blood pressure

total $176

Kept wanting to do a FLV test when they found out he's an outdoor cat, couldn't get past that. FLV wouldn't cause those symptoms.

They said his hind leg muscles are weak, duh? I know that, why? I suspect a hip dislocation, it could be a gradual thing and just slipped out.

The problem came on suddenly yeserday, he "yowled" and was mouth breathing, but he hasn't appeared to be in pain since, probably something dislocated and he's not in pain now, except discomfort, but he needs help.

The problem is, by the time we figure out what's wrong we won't be able to afford the treatment!

I really hope you can find out what is wrong with your boy. An X-ray certainly seems like the obvious thing to me. Perhaps if you explain the situation to your vet, you may be able to make payments. Others have mentioned a program called Care Credit. You can check out that option at www.carecredit.com. I am glad you are doing all you can to help your sweet kitty. Please keep us posted.

Its so pitiful to watch him. He tries to walk around the house, then flops over. he makes his "rounds" goes to his water and food bowls, doesn't want the food I put near him, also, keeps wanting to go to his regular box instead of the smaller box I have for him.

He wants to keep his routine, instead of giving up and being an invalid. He wants to keep his dignity. He's such a proud boy!

I will just insist on an xray tomorrow, they wanted $275 for a full body x ray at the ER last night, we asked if they could just do a hip xray, they said they needed a full body xray to make a diagnosis, that's when we declined.

Last year I broke my ankle, they xrayed my ankle, not my whole body "just to make sure" Why can't the same common sense apply with vet care?

Also, they did a ton of blood tests, then apparently brushed them off. I have the results, among other things, his potassium is low, 3.2. I realize that isn't terribly low, I had a cat in CRF and her K hovered around 2.2--2.4, but you'd think they'd focus more on the obvious symptoms he presents with, his back leg is obviously comprimised somehow, how could that be hypothyroid?

Well, its going to be a long night. I don't feel I can leave Bernard alone, he can't get around.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    I really hope you can find out what is wrong with your boy. An X-ray certainly seems like the obvious thing to me. Perhaps if you explain the situation to your vet, you may be able to make payments. Others have mentioned a program called Care Credit. You can check out that option at www.carecredit.com. I am glad you are doing all you can to help your sweet kitty. Please keep us posted.

Yes, I know about CareCredit, we have it, already run up to the limit with my daughter's braces, perhaps we could get an increase in the credit limit? Thanks for the suggestion!

Boy, it really does sound like some kind of nerve damage or a stroke. My friend's dog had the same problem and the vet feels that she had a stroke but she isn't in any pain and has lost control of her bowels and urine so she must wear a diaper. That was about a year ago and the dog has adjusted to her situation and is doing fine.

I do understand about finances, believe me, as do all of us here on PT. As my signature says "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all". Emergency clinics serve their purpose but, you're right, they're so expensive. Hopefully, you'll find a vet who realizes that we're all in these tough economic times together and will give you some payment options.

Please keep us updated on your kitty and know that prayers are going up right now that all will be well quickly and easily. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I can sympathize with you about finances. Times are tough. For those of us who already have our pets, things going along fine financially and then all of a sudden your income gets reduced for whatever reason it is frustrating.

I agree with the signature above that if you can't afford a vet , don't buy a pet, HOWEVER, situations change.

I hope you find out what is wrong with your kitty and it doesn't turn out to be too expensive. We will keep you in our prayers.

Too bad you didn't live closer to me. I would HIGHLY recommend Colchester Vet. They care about their patients, not lining their pocketbooks. Buddy has an appointment with them today and allow payment plans.

I also believe that if you can't afford the vet bills, you shouldn't own a pet. HOWEVER...and this is a big however, with Buddy, I was forced into a situation where I was fostering Buddy for a woman who was in a battered women's shelter, last August. She swore she would be back for him. He's still here, and I am now facing a huge vet bill to try and rule out any problems, physical or behavioral, from being bounced back and forth between 6 homes since last August. I didn't ask for the extra expense, nor can I afford it. Again, this is where the HOWEVER comes in. Situations change. Mine certainly did. Do I regret taking Buddy in? Heck no!! I was miserable without him being here, I've became so attached to him. I've tried foster homes and it just put him and me into a deeper depression.

My first thought was neurological. You and your kitty are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Is there a veterinary school near you? Sometimes they'll see pets pro bono for the purpose of giving their students the opportunity to learn to diagnose difficult cases.

Love, Columbine

how is he doing now?