Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help save Sydney's life!

Thank you everyone for your wonderful support. I truly appreciate the info and comforting words. I sat down with my mom, and we decided that the plan of action is we are going to try the chemo for a few weeks (we will stop sooner if it seems to be too much), mainly to see how she handles it. If it becomes too much, we will immediately stop the chemo and switch her to palliative care - mainly steroid shots and pain medicine. Once those stop working, we will call the vet to come over and say our goodbyes. My mom and I just can't give up on her just yet, so hopefully the chemo will work and reduce the swelling in her face so that she can breathe better. It is like Catty1 said, some times it has to get worse before it gets better. I will bring Sydney in Friday, if there are no more problems, and I will keep you all updated to how she is doing. Thanks again.

I've been faithfully following this thread even though sometimes I can't comment. It sounds like you and your mom have come up with a good plan. That way if things work out and Sydney improves, that's great. If she doesn't respond well to the treatments, then at least you will know that you did everything possible to help her and you'll know when it is time to let her go. I did that with my dear Simone. She had congestive heart failure. Simone was full of life and a little spitfire kitty. Somehow the vet and his staff were able to stick a needle into her chest and drain the fluid while she was fully awake. We then gave her lasix treaments for as long as it seemed that they were helping. The fluid kept getting less. Then one day I came home and I was there by myself, but I just took one look at my baby and knew that she was having too much trouble breathing and it wasn't working anymore. I've never had a vet come to the house, but think that would be easier. I called my brother to take me to the vet's office and my sister and her husband met us there. It was terribly hard to let her go and I still miss her and am crying thinking about it, but it was time. You'll know when it is time. In fact, I had a dream last night and Simone was in it. I could feel her as I held her. She'll always be alive in my mind and heart. I didn't mean to hijack a thread about your kitty but just wanted you to know that many of us have been where you are and can really sympathize. Sydney is a very loved kitty, and I truly hope you have many more happy memories with her. No matter what, treasure each moment you have now and those from the past. Thanks for keeping us posted, and I'm so sorry for all the difficulties you are encountering!

Your plan is a sound one. And I wish you the best of luck with it.

At this point I would be BOILING mad at the vets and their staff. I realize that this last problem was the pharmacy, and not the vet......but come on!!!! Can't anyone just fo their job right!?!?!?!

rant over.....

Hang in their Sydney, there is not a person in the world trying harder than your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    I've been faithfully following this thread even though sometimes I can't comment. It sounds like you and your mom have come up with a good plan. That way if things work out and Sydney improves, that's great. If she doesn't respond well to the treatments, then at least you will know that you did everything possible to help her and you'll know when it is time to let her go. I did that with my dear Simone. She had congestive heart failure. Simone was full of life and a little spitfire kitty. Somehow the vet and his staff were able to stick a needle into her chest and drain the fluid while she was fully awake. We then gave her lasix treaments for as long as it seemed that they were helping. The fluid kept getting less. Then one day I came home and I was there by myself, but I just took one look at my baby and knew that she was having too much trouble breathing and it wasn't working anymore. I've never had a vet come to the house, but think that would be easier. I called my brother to take me to the vet's office and my sister and her husband met us there. It was terribly hard to let her go and I still miss her and am crying thinking about it, but it was time. You'll know when it is time. In fact, I had a dream last night and Simone was in it. I could feel her as I held her. She'll always be alive in my mind and heart. I didn't mean to hijack a thread about your kitty but just wanted you to know that many of us have been where you are and can really sympathize. Sydney is a very loved kitty, and I truly hope you have many more happy memories with her. No matter what, treasure each moment you have now and those from the past. Thanks for keeping us posted, and I'm so sorry for all the difficulties you are encountering!
    Thank you so much for sharing that story with me. I know it must have been extremely difficult to even type. I know in my heart I will know, like you, when it is time to say goodbye. It is just a situation that no mommy ever wants to deal with. When my last baby passed, I just couldnt let myself believe that he was dying, and I stayed up a week straight trying to feed him every two hours. When he passed, it was such a heart wrenching yet relieving time, because I knew he was no longer in any pain. I went and bought him the most beautiful box and lined it with his favorite blanket and put a picture of his family in it, so we would always be by his side. I am so sorry for your losses, and I have to say it is the most wonderful feeling in the world knowing that someone else out there loves there pets like I do. I can't tell you how many people told me I was crazy to spend all this money and effort on a cat. That they are a dime a dozen. I don't think people understand that my cats are my family. I dont have any children and they have in essense become my children. They are the most wonderful companions anyone could ever ask for and they have brought so much joy and love into my life. Baby was my first cat ever (I had him since I was 14), and when he died at 12 - it was my first expereince with death. I made it through that experience (although I still cry thinking about it) and I know that when this happens to Sydney, I will be able to live with it as well. My family and I have already discussed that if she passes, we are going to put her next to Baby, her life long companion and best friend. I found this wonderful store on ebay, when Baby died that makes the most beautiful head stones for your deceased pets. Baby's has a picture of him on it and the saying, " if love could have saved you, you would have lived forever!". My little girl would get one as well. Well, Sydney starts her chemo tomorrow, and hopefully it will help her. I have high hopes.

"if she passes"

Now, let's put that one step forward, and focus on a healthy and happy Sydney!

PLEASE ask your vet about Regressin and if it can be tried in this type of cancer.

And consider getting some Transfer Factor - you can PM Emeraldgreen about it.

HUGS!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by kittykatharine View Post
    " if love could have saved you, you would have lived forever!".
    That is very beautiful. Thanks for sharing that.

So I took Sydney to her first chemo administration today. I dropped her off at 8:30 am and the vet's called me at 11:30 am so she could go home. Last night Sydney managed to pull out one of her stiches and she started leaking mucous out of the top of her nose. The vet said that this was actually not a bad thing because it let out some of the drainage and pressure - and suprisingly, I could tell that she felt better last night. So I went and picked her up and she was near panicing. She kept banging her face into the carrier and trying to escape. It was so hard for me to watch. The vet said because of the chemo that she is to stay in the carrier till 3:00 pm. She was so upset. I ended up putting her carrier in my room with all the lights off and my little fountain turned on to try to calm her. I additonally cut up the egg shell matrice on my bed to help as a padding for the front of the carrier. I just hope she is able to calm down. She is miserable and it is absolutely horrible to watch. The only reason I am not totally upset and loosing it is because she has finnally got some treatment. I just wish it didnt make her feel so horrible. Luckily, next week, she doesnt have to go in there for chemo, I just give her a pill. That is much less traumatic for her. I just hope she is able to calm herself down, I worry about her heart. My poor baby.

She should be out of the carrier by now. How is she doing? I'm glad she was able to finally get some treatment!

Oh gosh... I've been out of touch with the computer for about a week, and am so sorry to hear all that you are going through.

I hope Sydney will be feeling less anxious and will relax later on today. I would be so upset seeing that happen as well. The pics of her are just so sweet, and I just hope that things will run smoother for you. The fact that the wrong dosage was ordered and you had to wait longer... ugh.... I would have been flipping out on the vet office I am sure!

I really hope that the weekend goes smoothly and that the chemo will kick in quicker than expected. Poor girl not even being able to eat well. Definitely check on the feeding tube if it's needed, like JenLuckenbach recommended. She's nursed many a sick kitty, and gives great advice.

Big hugs to you and Sydney...

Oh gosh! I am SO sorry that Sydney is this upset. Is she any better now? (more relaxed)

I don't even know what to say. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I'm so sorry to hear that this was such a traumatic experience for her. I hope that she's now able to relax. Please continue to keep us updated about her. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Oh sweet Sydney, I'm so sorry that it's been so rough on her. I do hope that things have calmed down and she's beginning to heal and improve.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Everyone will be so happy to hear that Sydney is doing really well. In fact, yesterday I was brushing her and she began to purr. This provided me with so much comfort and made me feel so good inside. She still has a robust appetite, and I have been pampering her like no other. I think I have found the perfect food for her and she isnt having any trouble eating it. She seems to not be in any pain and she seems to be handling this first dose very well. Once she was let out of the carrier she calmed down tremendously (cant say I blame her, I wouldnt want to be in there either). She was out laying with me all day and I even took her on the front porch to make her feel better. Believe it or not, but ever since some of the pressure was let out in her head, I could see a smile back on her face. I truly hope that she keeps up with this. She is doing so well right now. I will keep everyone up to date on my little girls progress. Thanks so much for all the support and kind words, all the PT prayers seem to be shining down on us right now! Thanks everyone!

I am so HAPPY to read such a positive, upbeat update about Sydney! YAY for her feeling better!!

Was there a reason that the vet said she couldn't come out of the carrier?

the vet said that she had to stay in there roughly three hours to let the sedation wear off. I guess she was afraid that she was going to jump on something and hurt herself. I actually tried taking her out of the carrier and putting her in the bathroom, but she was so disoriented that she was trying to jump in the bath tub and I had to put her back. After I put on the fan and my little soothing water fountain and turned off the lights, that calmed her down for a while as well. I would just peep my head in every 30 minutes to make sure she was ok. It was just very difficult seeing her so panicky.