Thread: Mama and 2 kittens need permanent home ASAP - Emergency- FeLK- HELP!!! (Pittsburgh)

Mama and 2 kittens need permanent home ASAP - Emergency- FeLK- HELP!!! (Pittsburgh)

This is a devastating story. Friends and I rescued these cats from the street and have been trying to get them into good homes. This mama is a champ, she nursed 11 kittens (5 of whom weren't hers) and kept them safe. Now we need to help her! She has Feline Leukemia and needs to go to a home without cats or with other Feline Leukemia positive kitties. Feline Leukemia is not fatal, it just breaks down the immune system, some FeLK cats live for 20 years. She's perfect on her own to become the cat of a single cat household. She can live with dogs (Feline Leukemia is specific to cats). But to be responsible, she should remain an indoor kitty. Mama is very friendly, loves to make biscuits, and cuddle. There is no health risk to people. She's the perfect cat for someone who lives alone and wants company.

Two kittens who will most likely be happy, healthy cats with great care need homes too. They can go to houses with other cats. These kittens don't face the same difficulty as their mom, but need home now! One orange and one gray kitten are available - they are terribly sweet. Friends and I have hosted them for 3 months and can't do it anymore.

Please help or these three have to go to a shelter. Please call me by Sunday afternoon (since I'm bringing the ones we can place back to Pittsburgh)

No adoption fee, just help, pick them up on Sunday late evening (10pm-11pm or Monday).

Call me (412) 657-2338 - Destiny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010200010400011609200806066d3a55c14e497f967e006c76.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	39450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011512010204010406200806060a64f9c4a90f2ff4b7003a2a.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	39451  

Thanks,

I work with a rescue service. The shelter I will take them to specialized in FeLK. But the kittens so far have tested negative.

Destiny

confused

if mom is testing positive and kittens are testing negative, i have to wonder what test was used on mom, and when she was tested. if she was able to carry healthy kittens to term, and nurse another whole litter, i would seriously question her positive status: when was she tested, using what test? if she's an adult cat, as she is clearly a healthy one, the odds are high (70%, see current merck vet manual) that she could have been EXPOSED to the virus, then processed it out of her system. An IFA test really needs to be done to avoid labelling her.

this is incredibly short notice for placing a FeLV cat; there are places out there for them, but it takes longer for their forever humans to appear.

would be interested in knowing what shelter you're taking them to that specializes in FeLV--we are always looking for resources!

MC