Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A howling kitty

Troy, no, just the opposite. I have brought them from a little house with plenty of outside space to run in, but seldom did I let them out because of coyote raids, if they didn't come in at night. Now they have a house that is huge by comparison, and a relatively safe place to play outside, which I seldom let any of them out. Amy wants out all the time. I am thinking that perhaps I should set a box of grass inside for them, to nibble on. Amy always eats a little grass whenever she gets outside.

.....wayne

Perhaps it's more the change of home has unsettled him (and the other too).

Based on your posts it looks like you haven't been at the new place long - I guess it'll take a while for all to settle down?

Loud cats

[COLOR=orange]At the lost cats hotel,sometimes it is a way to monopolize my attention.After al with 11 cats it is indeed the squeaky cat that gets the pets and treats.I have to make sure I spend time with the quiet cats like Moose or Princess,who are so quiet and never draw notice to themselves.

Howling

My oldest, Texas, howls for no apparent reason (to me). It is largely at night. He has been neutered since 6 months, and has done it before and after I have had other cats. To me, it seems very lonesome and soulful, and I usually call out to him or go to him to comfort him. That usually stops the howling. But, it seems like he is anxious at these times...maybe another cat in the yard? He is the only cat I have ever had that does this. A little extra attention seems to be his issue.

Male cats are more prone to meowing, I have two male cats and they are meowing through the day. There are different reason why a cat meows. Maybe your cat wants some attention and then it could be that he wants food.

Ritzy does this too...it usually means "Mom, I'm bored and it's time to play!". Her typical time for this is in the evening after we are home from work...if I don't engage in "chase mousie" or some other game, she walkes over to the kitchen door, sits there in "bowling pin" pose and engages her top lung capacity in a meow aria
    mmmeeeoooww, MEOW!, meeeeooooowwwwwWW, meowwwwwwww, mEOWW , MEEEOWW!

If I call to her and say 'Ritzy, come on' she will stop....if I go and attempt to pet her or pick her up, she will scurry away just as I reach her, and take the position at the living room door waiting for me to throw the mouse.

As noted in other posts, she has ME trained pretty well!
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

Originally posted by tuxluvr
    Ritzy does this too...it usually means "Mom, I'm bored and it's time to play!". Her typical time for this is in the evening after we are home from work...if I don't engage in "chase mousie" or some other game, she walkes over to the kitchen door, sits there in "bowling pin" pose and engages her top lung capacity in a meow aria
    mmmeeeoooww, MEOW!, meeeeooooowwwwwWW, meowwwwwwww, mEOWW , MEEEOWW!

If I call to her and say 'Ritzy, come on' she will stop....if I go and attempt to pet her or pick her up, she will scurry away just as I reach her, and take the position at the living room door waiting for me to throw the mouse.

As noted in other posts, she has ME trained pretty well!
    Absolutely the same!!!

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Pishi (RB) was very vocal and very loud in the end of her life. She was 18 and howled as soon as it was night. She howled so loud, that neighbors complained and I had to have her sleep in the bathroom with lights on.
    I later discovered she was becoming senile and this is something that most senile cats go through. As if something is worrying them. I called it the boogie man, and in the end I slept in the bathroom with her so that she wasn't alone.

But since your cat is young, I would just think it's the new home. Rudie howls too and I have to answer him in telling him his name and that he's fine and can go to sleep. Which is what he does after that.