Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A howling kitty

A howling kitty

Since I have moved to southeast Kansas, one of my Russian Blue kittens has become extra friendly and affectionate. I call him "kitty love" because the name fits him. He cuddles up to me at night in the bed and if not that, he lays next to me on the covers. However, today and for about a week now, he will begin to cry out as loud as he can. But what is baffling is that he may start this loud howling being only a few feet away! What does this behavior mean? Perhaps he is lonely or just wants attention. but why all the howling?

............wayne

Wayne,
    Noel does that too! She'll wander around the house, usually within view, and "cry". Usually she'll stop if we drop everything and play with her. Silly kitties.

What do you do when Kitty Love does this?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

The oh so familiar furball howl

Could it be that they are working a furball up trhough their bellies ..... ugh! Sometimes cats howl as they begin the process, sometimes taking hours to complete.

Maybe they are lonely too, but I've only heard it as a distress signal....as in furball.

It is a horrible sound, I agree!

My friend's cat Miss Bubbles does this all night long during the times when she is in heat. I always thought that it had something to do with that. I guess not.

thanks for all your replies. The more I read them it gives me some more information inwhich to base a conclusion on.

Noah's Mommy, it sounds to me as though he is crying for attention. If I call out his name or simply say, "cat, come on here", this will usually stop the noise. But then again after a bit of attention, he may start again within a few minutes after release. Also, his mommy, Cookie Cat, (a silver/tan tortie) has started doing the same, but she is spayed. I am thinking that it could be genetic because both of them do it about the same time. Kitty love is not neutered, but I will have to take care of that soon.

.............wayne

I think that he just wants attention. Sunny will meow at me very loudly when he wants some extra attention.

Recently, in fact after Fister was COTD, he's started chatting away - he must be feeling very proud! In the middle of the night, we can hear him come walking through the rooms, making all kinds of different sounds, then he walks across us in bed a few times - just to make sure we know he's there, and then he jumps down again. Sometimes, we're pretty sure, he is telling us about the other cat he's seen in the yard! - But what timing!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi, yes, kitty-love does the same thing. But as of writing this he has abruptly stopped the howling, but Cookie has continued even more loudly than last week. The way Cookie acts it appears as though she is in a false heat, because she was neutered last May or June.

As far as jumping cats goes, the cat I have to watch is Tiger, ( a lynx-point siamese) when she is extra-hungry, she will jump on my shoulders, and stay there until I feed her, separate from the rest of the 11, or she will purposely jump on me while I am in bed, but awake and seriously considering getting up. Tiger is one of the heaviest cats I have, weighing somewhere in the vicinity of 8 lbs.

Originally posted by wayne0214
    The way Cookie acts it appears as though she is in a false heat, because she was neutered last May or June.
    That could very well be the reason - I do hope she stops so you can get some sleep! Do you ever get a full nights sleep?

You say Tiger weighs around 8lbs.? You don't mean kilo's? Fister is nearly 8 kg. - but well built!

I hope you and your furbabies like the new place!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi, fortunately, Cookie does not howl at night while I am sleeping, but only during those brief times when I am awake, Othereise she does this howling, like right now, while I am up and about the house. OK on my furbabies liking the new house. There is plenty of room for them to play, sleep and wander around. Whenever I let some of them outside, they usually stay in the immediate area, but at times I have problems with getting them back in the house. I have greatly curtailed their adventuring outside, except when one of them sneaks up and darts out the door before I can do much about it. Amy and Tiara are the worst about this. I need to get some window boxes, because they like sleeping the afternoons away in window sills. and there are too many of them for the available sills (It is more things to do around this place.)

Concerning Tiger's weight; no, she weighs about 8 lbs, which I know is not too heavy for a cat, but when she jumps on my shoulders or on me while I'm in bed, from as height as much as 3 feet, then the 8lbs seems heavy enough.

............wayne

Originally posted by wayne0214
    thanks for all your replies. The more I read them it gives me some more information inwhich to base a conclusion on.

Noah's Mommy, it sounds to me as though he is crying for attention. If I call out his name or simply say, "cat, come on here", this will usually stop the noise. But then again after a bit of attention, he may start again within a few minutes after release. Also, his mommy, Cookie Cat, (a silver/tan tortie) has started doing the same, but she is spayed. I am thinking that it could be genetic because both of them do it about the same time. Kitty love is not neutered, but I will have to take care of that soon.

.............wayne
    Wayne, Noel is a tortie. Do you think it could be thier breed? Our other cats don't do this. The only "cry" sound Noah makes is that one that sounds like he's calling me.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I have a loud kitty too.

My Quincy is a "russian-blue" wannabe - and he often announces his entrance into a room. It's like he's saying = "hey everyone, I'm HOME!!!! Look at me! Look at me! Give me attention!!!!! I'm HHOOOMMMMMEEEE!!!!!!!"

(the funny thing is that his brother, Joxer, has just a whisper of a meow )

Catland, Kitty Love is a Russian Blue, and thus far he has not howled since I have written about him on Pet Talk. Cookie has not stopped howling. I adopted (rescued) another kitten yesterday, and this has curtailed her howling a bit, but now, she is upset with the new arrival. In fact some of the older cats have started hissing at each other, which I have never seen before.

My new kitty is a gray and white tuxedo, about 2 months old. She has long fur, and is very cuddly and affectionate. There is a cat on the COTD, for Oct. 20, 2000. she looks much like her. She slept with me on the bed last night. It will be a matter of time before they all accept her, as she is not aggressive.

Noah's Mommy, I don't know if is their breed (DSH) or not, but the more I listen to Cookie's howl, is sounds like a female in heat. I am thinking that she feels it is the time of the year for mating again, but she does't have the wherewithall to accomplish this.

.............wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 09-04-2002 at 09:26 AM.

One of my cats, Joe, will start pacing and howling for what appears to be attention. Over the years I have discovered that he does this because he is suffering from "cabin fever". If he gets pent-up inside for any length of time he'll start. He does this when it's been raining for a few days or if there is a larger cat outside stopping him for his favourite task - exploring. On the few times I have moved with him I make sure he is kept inside for a couple of weeks so he is familiar with the concept that this is now his new home. This always results in stacks of howling...

I have also noticed the howling will stop while he's getting affection but start again soon afterwards.

Has your Russian Blue gone from a sitution where he had a lot of outdoor access (or just a larger area) to one where he has less?

Juni was howling some days ago, she was in heat poor thing. I know, I am the one to blame, everyone else insists that we spay her, it's only me who doesn't. I said before, I want to give her the chance to feel the beauty of motherhood and I want more kitties. Still, I don't own a place and my landlady is against more than one pet in the house (at least she agrees with one). Seems so long until I'll have my own place, but... But when she howls, I don't pet her, I noticed that it does more bad than good, I try to play with her using her favorite stuffed toy. It really helps, she seems to forget about her problem, sometimes for some months.