Thread: Elderly Blind Cat

Elderly Blind Cat

We have 10 house cats & 3 revolving neighbor cats. Of the house cats we have 2 sisters who are 15 yoa, one who we think has recently lost her sight. Other than tender loving care, any advise on accommodating her and her needs. Thanks.

Are you able to take her to the vet? It would be good to know for sure what is happening and if there is anything going on that could be treatable.
    I have a friend who has a cat that is blind and she makes a point of never re-arranging the furniture because her cat is very used to where things are and uses each chair leg and sofa corner as markers to gauge where she's at.
    Her house isn't that big so that helps. If you live in a big home, you may want to make her living space smaller so it's not overwhelming for her.
    I'm sure she would need extra reassurances from you now, more than ever so it sure couldn't hurt to snuggle and hold her alot.

I have two cats that are blind (one born blind and one blinded as a kitten). They have adjusted quite well to not being able to see. I have created a house where they can "climb" up and do not have to jump. If any of the other cats "pick on" the blind one, please put a collar and bell on them. That way it gives a little warning, so they can defend themselves.

I think you will find that having a blind cat is almost no different than having a sighted cat (except they don't jump on top of the fridge )
    Last edited by emily_the_spoiled; 06-03-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled View Post
    I have two cats that are blind (one born blind and one blinded as a kitten). They have adjusted quite well to not being able to see. I have created a house where they can "climb" up and do not have to jump. If any of the other cats "pick on" the blind one, please put a collar and bell on them. That way it gives a little warning, so they can defend themselves.

I think you will find that having a blind cat is almost no different than having a sighted cat (except they don't jump on top of the fridge )
    Exactly right! After all these years, Spunk, my blind punk, will jump to a few non-changing places like the toilet top, the window seat, etc. Cats are very adaptable, so you may not notice much difference in her.

My Creamsicle is partially blind (and totally deaf) and she's learned to navigate just fine. I concur w/the others; don't rearrange the furniture and she should be fine.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thank you all for your comments/suggestions. My first thought was taking Nikki (the elder) her to the vet, but money is tight at the moment and there doesn't seem to be any other issues. She's eating, drinking, pooping, peeing and bathing herself as usual. The suggestion of collars w/bells for the others is one I never thought of. I think we'll try it. Nikki has always been 'funny' about her personal space so announcing someone nearby might be a good thing for her. In the mean time, my room mate/friend has a knack w/cats. In fact the vet has called her the Cat Whisperer! She has taught them 1-2-3...on 3 if someone hasn't done what she asked, it's time out! Time outs are few and far between! The comments on not moving furniture makes sense, duh, why didn't I think of that Thanks again.

You may also find that Nikki's sister will be around her more. I have a pair of brothers (one sighted and one not). When they first came to my place, the sighted one seemed to act like a "seeing eye" cat. They have some kind of communication that helps out the blind one.

I agree with everyone else - don't rearrange the house and put collars with a bell on any other animals that may "attack your kitty" to warn them. Cat's are extremely adaptable and she will in time figure her environemnt out. If there is any furniture that she may bump into, you may initially want to put a pillow or pad there, just till she has her routine down. I know cueing certain places with sounds is useful - for instance, your cat knows the sound of a food bad opening one mile away! Good luck!