Thread: Giardia vaccine and Heartworm medication

Giardia vaccine and Heartworm medication

I swear I saw on some flyer at Petco that there was a giardia vaccine. I thought that giardia was caused by drinking water from lakes, etc. And we go camping all the time, the dogs get in the water. I asked my vet if he did that vaccine and he said no. Is there a vaccine for giardia?

Also I'm sure I need to get Nebo on something for heartworm prevention. What age do you start giving that to dogs? What is the best to use? Actually...which one could I afford lol....?

Amy, Not sure about Giardia vaccine.

My vet recomended that Drake start HW preventative at the age of 4 months. If they are older than 4 months, the vet will have to do a HW test. Drake has been on HW meds since then. When he was 40 lbs, it was about $35.00 for a 6 month supply. Now that he is pushing 90 lbs, it is $55.00 for a 6 month shot.

Perhaps other Pet Talkers have been told differently.
    Last edited by DoggiesAreTheBest; 08-28-2002 at 01:53 PM.

Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
    Amy, Not sure about Giardia vaccine.

My vet recomended that Drake start HW preventative at the age of 4 months. If they are older than 4 months, the vet will have to do a HW test. Drake has been on HW meds since then.

Perhaps other Pet Talkers have been told differently.
    I don't know about the Giardia thing, either. I asked when we were going to the midwest about any special vaccinations and they said not to worry - just get him on heartworm medication.
    (Anyway, Smokey hated the water and didn't even go in the lake!)

Smokey was just over 4 months when we started him on HeartGuard. If we would have waited another week then they would have had to do a HW test. So, I think the 4 months thing is right.
    I can't remember the exact cost but the last box of HeartGuard I bought was like... $30-40 I think. Too bad Smokey is now over the top weight and I have to double up ... But it's worth it.

I don't know about the giardia thing, either.

When my dogs were first starting heartworm meds, they were still growing, and my vet gave me the option of buying single pills til they got to their adult weight. I use Interceptor with my dogs; a six-month supply of the yellow box, 26-50 pound is $26, of the white box, 51-100 pound is $39.50.
    Joan

I started Tango on heartworm when he was 2, I know that is late, but we didn't really know. I know now how important it is.

We also use interceptor. Our vet put Roxey on it when she was around 4 mos. (the same time we had her spayed). And the price is pretty much the same as sisterdog said. We keep our dogs on it year round.
    You should definately get him on it though! Better to be safe than sorry.

And I don't know about the giradia vacine. But we have given the dogs pills, and Huney was given a powder we put on her food for 3 days.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Rufus has been getting the the giardia vaccine every year along with the rest of his boosters. He loves water and will consume it even from a gross still puddle and has been sick a few times for about a week at at time from doing so, that is why we decided that he should be vaccinated against giardia. The vaccine is relativley new and there are differing opinions on weather or not to use it but for Rufus it is the right choice. He still has a taste of puddle now and then but no longer gets sick.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Roofus
    Rufus has been getting the the giardia vaccine every year along with the rest of his boosters. [/QUOTE

How long has he been getting it?

Our vet also said that alot of young puppies have it, and when we take our dogs to obedience classes, seems like they get it during almost every class. So this sounds like it would be a good thing for us. Thanks, and thanks Amy for bringing it up! Also I appreciate the links!

My dogs get the Giardia Vaccine along with their regular shots as well, they also get the Beverfever Vaccine which is not included in the regular vaccines. I think the Beverfever shot is new in Canada as the 1 vet we use to take Deisel & Phoebe too don't have the Beverfever vaccine yet!
    Last edited by turner; 08-31-2002 at 07:38 AM.

Originally posted by turner
    they also get the Beverfever Vaccine which is not included in the regular vaccines.
    what is that? I don't remember hearing of it.

anna

Beverfever is a parasite that lives in lakes, rivers, streams,marchs,ponds, large puddles. Humans can even get beverfever. It can make you very sick and makes you itch almost like poison ivy. The vaccine is new in canada for animals. They didn't have till about 2 years ago.

With the vaccine, it prevents the animals from getting the parasite.

Hopefully this explains it, I'm not very good at explaining technical stuff!

Originally posted by turner

Hopefully this explains it, I'm not very good at explaining technical stuff!
    Yes, it does. And you did a good job at explaining! Thanks!

How long has he been getting it?
    For two years now, Rufus is just about 2 1/2. It is a seperate shot that we get along with his anual. Our vet suggested it beacues I take him to the off leash area where there is a river and still water and some wildlife.