Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you camp with your dog?

I use Frontline for my dogs,
    and a good spray is: Adam's Flea and
    tick spray. (also helps with mosquitos)
    My dogs are not on continuance Heart Worm med.
    so iF we are camping in the woods,
    I have my Vet put them on a 4 month supply
    of Heart Worm Meds.

I would buy a spray made for dogs, unless
    you check with your vet and ask him
    if the people bug spray is safe to use for dogs.

(also check warning lables when using any type
    of dog spray)

Have lots of fun.
    I can't think of anything else.

P.S. Try also keeping your dog from drinking any stagnant
    water.

Last edited by KYS; 08-29-2002 at 12:51 AM.

----<---<--<{(@

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    We never go camping. We do hotels though, and Cookie loves them! Especially if they have a couch in the room because I allow her on it (not allowed at home, hehe).

I would really like to go camping, or get a camper or something. But... my husband only does hotels and isn't really in for a discussion when it comes to it.

Yup, my 3 go everywhere with me! They love camping. My fiance and I had to buy a bigger tent to accomidate the dogs. The above suggestions are great. Another important hint is to make sure they wear current ID tags and/or are microchipped just in case your pet should get loose. I have velcro pouches on my dogs collar that you can put an a piece of paper in and everytime we go camping I change the info. I write our cell phone #, campground name, site # and days we plan on staying also if I have any friends or relatives near by I add their information on their too.
    KYS made a great camping/vacationing list!

TO SisterDog: My old friend had a dog that I gave him, named chekotah, also a female about 5 years ago and he could no longer keep it, so he gave it away. I was wondering if there was a connection as it is not a popular name?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Hey all!

Just wanted to thank you for the advice and tips! We got back from our first camping trip with Murphy yesterday. Overall, it went pretty well, although I think he was a little confused at first--"why are we out here in the woods??" He loved playing with a special rock he found, digging his hole, trying to catch moths, and running along the beach. He also enjoyed dozing in front of the campfire on my lap and sleeping between us in the tent (he doesn't get to sleep on our bed at home, so this was a BIG treat!).

We did have a bit of a problem with barking. Murph hardly EVER barks at home or while he's being walked, but while he was on his tie-out this weekend, he would bark like a completely crazy dog when bikers rode by or small children appeared. I think he was just frustrated at being restrained, but man, was he loud! Next time, we'll be sure to get a more isolated site, which we didn't have this time. And we may try a citronella collar.

Anyway...there's the report. I wish we had a digital camera so I could post pics.

Good to hear the camping trip went well Strass! Kia loves to camp. Our only camping scare was that Kia figured out how to open the tent. So Andy woke up to find it was just him and I and no Kia.

He quickly looked outside and found that Kia hadn't wandered far. She was curled up by the remnants of the fire with a look that said.. "Where's breakfast?" *laughs*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Glad you had a great time camping.
    We have that barking problem with Rocky,
    every time somebody walks their dog by.
    So we also try to find a secluded camp
    space, but sometimes you just can't.
    I leave a rolled up news-paper on the
    table, and when Rocky starts up, I tap
    the paper on the table.
    It works sometimes. lol

----<---<--<{(@

I'm really late with a reply here, but don't get on PT much these days. I just had to reply though because we took Scout camping twice this summer and it was a great success!
    We had a very secluded spot (we roughed it with no bathrooms, running water,etc.) and she absolutely loved it! And so did we.
    We also did some hiking with her and she was well behaved. The thing she loved the most was swimming in the river which was very low and safe at the time.

Someone mentioned here in this thread about bringing vet records. A great idea, and I had not thought about that when we went. Next time I will take them for sure.

I've got to find the pics of her- she was so happy!
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!