Thread: If You Could Bring Back A Whole Species Of Extinct Animals...

If You Could Bring Back A Whole Species Of Extinct Animals...

Which would they be and Why?

Wouldn't it be amazing if we could being back a species that was lost forever? I've always thought about that, so many beautiful animals have been lost to this earth from natural disaster or humans driving them to Extinction, what if you had a chance to being back a breeding pair of Extinct animals!

For me it would be the Haast's Eagle, it was the biggest eagle in the world. A weight of 20 kilos and a wingspan of 2.6 meters (8 or 9 feet) it was the largest eagle ever, it would be amazing to have such a large and beautiful bird fly the skys of this earth once again and to be able to see one alive would be beautiful.

Here are some more facts about them, http://library.christchurch.org.nz/K...s/HaastsEagle/

Also if not the Haast's Eagle it would had definitely been Dodo's.

I would have to say the Dodo!!!!! Everyone says they are ugly, but I think they are just cool!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

A Brontosaurus!
    They were my most favorite animal when I was little. Infact, it would be neat if any dinosaur was brought back out of extinction. I wasn't the kind of kid who played with barbies and dolls, I played with dinosaurs!

Though in reality, it would never ever work. Humans have taken over way too much land for dinosaurs to live again. Heck, its like we can hardly provide for all the humans on earth these days.

I always liked Dimetrodon, but right now I'd pick thylacines (Tasmanian Tigers). They look like a cross between a cat and a dog, but they're actually marsupials with backward-facing pockets! There are still isolated unverified sightings, so who knows?

The thylacine(tasmanian tiger) but they may still exist hiding in the wilds of Tasmania. Plenty of sitings but no real proof, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TamanduaGirl
    The thylacine(tasmanian tiger) but they may still exist hiding in the wilds of Tasmania. Plenty of sitings but no real proof, yet.
    Same.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli
    A Brontosaurus!
    They were my most favorite animal when I was little. Infact, it would be neat if any dinosaur was brought back out of extinction. I wasn't the kind of kid who played with barbies and dolls, I played with dinosaurs!

Though in reality, it would never ever work. Humans have taken over way too much land for dinosaurs to live again. Heck, its like we can hardly provide for all the humans on earth these days.
    There was a show on either the Science Channel or the Discovery Channel that showed some scientists have a theory that it's possible to manipulate the genes of an emu and create a raptor-like animal.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Northern curlew (Prairie Pigeon)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo_Curlew

and keeping the Great Lakes population of piping plovers from getting any smaller -- they are such sweet birds.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix
    There was a show on either the Science Channel or the Discovery Channel that showed some scientists have a theory that it's possible to manipulate the genes of an emu and create a raptor-like animal.
    I don't think it's a good idea for ANYONE to play God! If God didn't create it I don't think there should be such a thing.

I'm going to agree with Critter Crazy and say the Dodo! They are so funny lookin it's hard to believe such a thing ever existed.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I cannot believe no one said a Wooly Mammoth! That would be one I'd like to see and pet!

I'd first work, though, on repopulating the blue whale and several of the not-yet-extinct species.
    I've Been Frosted

I'd have to go with Thylacine as well. Maybe I'm just hopeful but I still believe there are a few hidden out in the wilds of Tasmania.

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

Thylacine, because the government basically payed people to kill them until there were about 4 left in known existence.
    http://www.naturalworlds.org/thylacine/

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Argranade
    Which would they be and Why?

For me it would be the Haast's Eagle, it was the biggest eagle in the world. A weight of 20 kilos and a wingspan of 2.6 meters (8 or 9 feet) it was the largest eagle ever, it would be amazing to have such a large and beautiful bird fly the skys of this earth once again and to be able to see one alive would be beautiful.
    That's amazing Argranade that you would care enough about a very little known extinct NZ bird of prey to want to bring it back to life - where did you hear about it?

There are so many for me I wouldn't know where to start. It saddens me that just last year I think it was, the world lost the last of the Chinese river dolphins. I still can't believe that in this day and age with the amount of knowledge we have, we still can't save a species of animal from extinction. I guess it all comes down to money.

I think though, I would try to bring back more species of Tiger - such as the Javan and Bali.

If I could bring back some native species I definitely would - the great Moa (huge flightless bird as depicted in the first piccy of the Haast eagle), and definitely the Sth Island Kokako. It would be amazing to hear their song in the wild again.
    Song of the Kokako
    Watch out over the coming months for my brand new website: www.vetnurse.co.nz - currently being constructed (nothing there ATM!) - will update when I can

Heavenly Pet Care

Don't make someone else pick up your litter - have your cats/dogs/rabbits desexed!!!

Yay! I've been boo'd!