Last night I got a call from my daughter. Her friend had found a bunny behind a dumpster in an alley and she thought there was something wrong with its foot. Having two pet bunnies, I said to bring it over, we could foster it overnight.

Grace brought me an adorable all black Netherland Dwarf (teeny, tiny with little uppy ears). We set it down on the floor in the bathroom and it was immediately apparent that its back legs weren't working. My heart sank. You could feel along its back where there was a definite divot in its spine. So we scooped it back up, made some calls and took it to the local 24-hour vet clinic and had it put to sleep.

Folks, don't get a rabbit for your family for Easter unless you really know how to take care of it. Their backs are fragile, their digestive systems are tough, but not invincible. They really should live inside or in a reinforced (to keep local dogs out) hutch where they can be seen from the house. And if you find you can't keep it, don't let a pet rabbit out to run loose in the neighborhood. They don't survive like a wild rabbit because they aren't wild. Find an animal shelter, a rabbit rescue group, or a local vet to take it.

Little Delilah (we found out he had boy bits after he died) will be buried today in my back yard in our bunny cemetery. And thank you for listening to my rant.

Becky