Thread: "Lolspeak" drives me nuts

Hybrid View

"Lolspeak" drives me nuts

Ok, I may be in the minority about this as I often am on such things, but the new 'fad' of lolspeak drives me absolutely nuts and I just have to get it off my chest. Maybe it's because I have worked as an editor, and now as a transcriptionist; have been an avid reader and listener of song prose all my life and love the beauty of well communicated language.

Lolspeak seemed to become the thing when the website, icanhascheezburger, used this type of speaking to caption photos, but now it seems to have exploded and I feel like I am seeing it more and more everywhere I go on the net: blogs, message boards, youtube, etc. I did not think much about it when I saw it here and there, but since it has become such a popular thing to do, it has become like nails on chalkboard to me LOL.

I realize to a lot of people it's cute/funny and not a big deal. For folks who may wonder what in the world I am talking about, "lolspeak" is the deliberate use of improper grammar and misspelling, I think intended to be humorous, but in my opinion becoming overused and overdone.

Now I know, some may feel I need to lighten up. But we all have our peeves and this one happened to be niggling at me enough lately to vent it .
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I agree with you. I think this way of "talking" started with texting. So you didn't have to type out all the letters on the phone. But people are now using it everywhere. I don't even use it while texting, except the LOL part. I get texts from my niece and it takes a minute to understand what she is saying.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Drives me nuts too. Seems most people think it's cute and funny, but I just think it's dumb. (I also think the pets on icancheezeburger are better spellers than their families who post their photos).
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

It isn't so much acronyms, like LOL or ROFL etc. It's things like "I iz hungry" and "I takez ur cake"

I do know that texting kinda started its own type of typing with shortened words, letters and numbers though. Which I don't mind being used when texting, understandable to not have to key in so much, and I don't mind acronyms used.

I say go Jess! I'm with you on this one. It also drives me nuts. I find it hard to follow. Maybe its my age. I don't know. All I know is that it just drives me crazy. I really don't understand the whole thing and sometimes i find it hard to follow. I know we have talked about if for awhile but I'm so glad that you spoke up and said something. Way to go, Jess!

Agree totally! The only ones who should be speaking like this are Phred and Chopper!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Agree totally! The only ones who should be speaking like this are Phred and Chopper!

I never really run into it much, but I don't frequent blogs,U tube,etc..
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for the big laugh, Pam!!!

I agree totally. Our future generations won't be able to correctly say or spell the simplest of words. It might be my age too but I think it's nothing but harmful

Kay: I didn't see your signature until you pointed it out. I have to say, I can figure it out, now that you bring it up I'm 100 years old and it shows.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Ain't that the troof? (sorry couldn't resist)

I've been Boooo'd!

By the way, the term "lolspeak" that is actually what it has come to be called. It has nothing to do with acronyms, LOL and IMO for example. The icanhascheezburger site called their photos lolcats. And thus the way of speaking there became called lolspeak.

my apologies, i should have read all the post's and i obviously mis-understood, i have deleted my original post.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️