Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Lolspeak" drives me nuts

I have to say I am fully capable of speaking and typing/spelling. My IQ has never dropped from reading or writing in LOLspeak.

I suppose I don't "get" or see why it grinds some people's nerves. I know I've gotten majorly peeved by things on the internet in the past. Over the years I've decided taking the internet too seriously is ridiculous.

I DO understand if someone's one and only "language" is LOLspeak or they are incapable of forming an actual sentence in English. Only if they're not doing it on purpose and don't actually know how to spell properly. That's when it gets sad, not frustrating, in my opinion.

Some people's pet peeves seem silly to others and this one seems silly to me.

BC_Mom, since no one else said it, I have to tell you that picture was too cute. My head did asplode.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I'd like to think that the 'smart ones' use LOLspeak because they know how to spell and think that it's kool 2 follow da trend.

The music industry has had a great influence on the grammar and spelling for today's kids.

"u r 2 stoopid and lazee 2 rite a song title"

---------

I don't mind the minimal abbreviations, LOL, BTW, WTF..Or even the "biatch"
    type...I'll skip a paragraph when there are too many "2, R and dats" in it.

-----------

As far as cell "FONES" go....they are making us more lazy, stupid and rude.

I think that SPRINT charges 15 bucks a month for speech recognition software so you do not have to type a text message. Isn't that what voice mail is for?

Now you have to excuse yourself from the meeting to "text" a VR message from your phone as opposed to sitting at the table and not paying attention to anything that's said.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    I don't mind the minimal abbreviations, LOL, BTW, WTF..Or even the "biatch" type...I'll skip a paragraph when there are too many "2, R and dats" in it.
    This brought up another curious thought to me. I think some of all this has to do with how one reads the text they are reading. I.e. I ALWAYS READ ALL CAPS AS YELLING and small text as whispering or speaking low. Thus I read lolspeak and leetspeak as it were someone who is mentally delayed trying to speak, I read it.. slower, enunciated like a kid trying to read difficult words, and seeing it become the cool way to type and talk gets to grating on me when I start seeing it everywhere I go on the net. It is not that I think the person using it IS slow or uneducated, but I "hear" it that way in my mind if that makes sense. Again, none of this was solely directed at Pet Talkers who enjoy using lolspeak, I've seen it far more often in other places than here.

I have never been one for overuse of cutsy baby talk really anyway, even when talking to babies . I see my pets as intelligent, soulful beings and companions and, somehow, I just can't imagine them thinking and "talking" that way. That is just me I guess.

Anyway my original thought I mentioned was how others read LOL, OMG, BTW and so on (which by the way as I mentioned acronyms don't bother me). Do you read it as in the letters L-O-L or the letters O-M-G? In my mind I always read them out as what they stand for, when I see "BTW" my mind reads 'by the way' or "laughing out loud" for LOL or "in my opinion" for IMO. If someone walked up to me and said the letters OMG or IMO I would probably stare at them blankly. I even read WTF for what it is in my mind
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    Over the years I've decided taking the internet too seriously is ridiculous.
    It's just a discussion Kay. It wasn't started to make you apologize, put warning labels on your posts and remove your signature. It wasn't aimed at you or anyone here specifically. Just something that's a new trend that I personally don't enjoy and drives me a bit crazy at times . I know some people are more vehement about their opinion on it, but as you stated above you can't let things get to you too much.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

[QUOTE=RICHARD]Pinch my cheeks, baby?

------------

Sure!!! Um, which ones?
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

I have too hard of a time trying to type correctly as it is, to even bother trying to type things incorrectly!!! My fingers just don't work as fast as my mind and I can never quite hit the space bar in the right order...and yes, I had to make a few corrections just to get that short statement out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    It's just a discussion Kay. It wasn't started to make you apologize, put warning labels on your posts and remove your signature. It wasn't aimed at you or anyone here specifically. Just something that's a new trend that I personally don't enjoy and drives me a bit crazy at times . I know some people are more vehement about their opinion on it, but as you stated above you can't let things get to you too much.

I am aware that it is a discussion. I don't recall apologizing (atleast not for LOLspeak) and my signature was removed purely because it's now outdated. The warning label was put up as a joke between someone else and I.

Oh yeah, Richard, I do it because I think it's kool2followtrendz. Nah, I find it amusing.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

[QUOTE=momoffuzzyfaces]
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    Pinch my cheeks, baby?

------------

Sure!!! Um, which ones?

Behave!

U R 2 much!

[QUOTE=RICHARD]
    Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces

Behave!

U R 2 much!
    i no
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

I read I Can Haz Cheezburger (Can I Have a Cheeseburger?-for non-LOLspeak folks) all the time.
    I assure you that the posters are not as young as you might think. Many are middle aged folks, and highly educated. They amaze me when they translate Shakespeare or philosophy into LOL.(I know many of you threw up in your mouths, a little here )But can you even quote these in English? I cannot.

Another thing, not all of what is being discussed here is LOLspeak. (twisterdog)
    Some of it is texting, and other computer forms of language. LOL is not a high school girl running down the hall yelling: OMG, OMG, OMG!

The interesting part of LOLspeak is that there is indeed a grammar and rules. You can speak it well or poorly.

Does anyone realize that today's English developed out of several other languages, and had misspellings inherent in it, that were incorporated over tyme (time)?
    Do you think the world is done with language development and there will be no more new languages forming? Look back at the old movies and how they spoke, around 60-70 years ago. We don't speak like that anymore, do we?
    I believe that was Standard English? (please help?) It sort of had a British accent, and used words we don't use nowadays.

Most of you think we've arrived. Nothing is going to change. I tell you that in 60-100 years from now, we won't speak anything like we do today.
    Will it be LOLspeak? Probably not.

LOLspeak is hard to decipher at first, but it is a game, and you can improve. If you are not interested in this game, then don't watch.

I like it because it's the 'voice of the cat' and my husband and I have been doing this verbal form for 7 years now. We are not speaking baby talk, but a
    'matter-of-fact' voice of what our cats might say to us. I've been switching out pronouns most of my life. Such as: Bella, Her doesn't want to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Agree totally! The only ones who should be speaking like this are Phred and Chopper!
    Why is Phred exempt here? I like the way the fire dogs speak, but you are are playing favorites. I guess you can do that if you want.

I guess I can agree with some of you. I like it when it is the 'voice of the pet'.
    (Please don't bother to correct my punctuation or grammar-I'm not claiming to be an English expert)

Quote Originally Posted by rosethecopycat
    Why is Phred exempt here? I like the way the fire dogs speak, but you are are playing favorites. I guess you can do that if you want.

I guess I can agree with some of you. I like it when it is the 'voice of the pet'.
    (Please don't bother to correct my punctuation or grammar-I'm not claiming to be an English expert)
    I don't think its playing Favorites at all. B/c like you said - I think its b/c they are the voice of the pet - if you look at some of Phred's posts - when he isn't posting as the fire dogs they are 'normal'.

Richard - I have verizon and my phone has the ability for me to speak a txt message - but I've never done it so I have no clue if I need the extra voice recognition software.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom

... if you look at some of Phred's posts -
    when he isn't posting as the fire dogs -
    they are 'normal'.

Or, at least as 'normal' as I know how to be.

Don't knock the DogSpeak till you've tried it ...
    takes a lot of *werk* to to translate into "DawgTalk" for an entire 'Tail'!

THANKS for the Kind Words, Staci!

/s/ the Dawg Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke

Don't knock the DogSpeak till you've tried it ...
    takes a lot of *werk* to to translate into "DawgTalk" for an entire 'Tail'!

/s/ the Dawg Talker
    As far as I know, no one IS knocking the DawgTalk. Everybody likes it, including me, but I like the LOLspeak as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke

Or, at least as 'normal' as I know how to be.

THANKS for the Kind Words, Staci!

/s/ the Dawg Talker
    well I was going to say that but that would have negated the 'kind' words!
    and thought maybe I would get THUMPED by a fire dog!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by rosethecopycat
    I read I Can Haz Cheezburger (Can I Have a Cheeseburger?-for non-LOLspeak folks) all the time.
    I read it all the time too. I thought it stood for: I can have a cheeseburger. (just shows you how confused I get)
    I've never known a cat to ask for anything, demand yes! At least mine are that way.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie