Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dog Breeds

Originally posted by JKRJG24:
    My neighbor's dog just had puppies! They are boxers. I'm so excited. I may be able to get one but my problem is I have a thieteen year old Yorkie and I'm afraid it will put him into depression or something. Some people say it was good for their old dog but some say it wasn't. What should I do?

When I had a similar situation, last year, my veterinarian and I discussed it. We had a cocker spaniel, Kaycee, who was 12 years old and suffering from congestive heart failure. I was concerned that my 8 year old daughter wouldn't handle her death very well, and although I was spending a lot of money and time attempting to extend her life, I knew she wouldn't go on forever. The vet was very supportive and encouraged me to go ahead and introduce a new pet into our household. We already had the cocker and a 10 year old cat, but Kaycee and Mimi did wonderfully when we were joined by "Honey" on my daughter's birthday. Honey came to us as a 6 week old golden retriever and Kaycee just adored her. I think she thought of herself as a mother. She would correct Honey when she bothered her too much, but they slept together and spent time outside together. All in all, I think it was a good few final months for Kaycee and helped Honey to adjust to our home without all those terrible adjustments we hear about wiht new puppies. I think going ahead and getting a new dog, even if you have to separate them occassionally, is a wonderful idea and I would encourage you to do it.

[This message has been edited by JKRJG24 (edited July 09, 2000).]

When my husband and I got married, we each had a dog. I had a 6 year old boxer and he had a 1 year old schnauzer. We introduced them on neutral territory and they have gotten along well ever since; 2 years now. It really helps if only one dog has an aggressive personality. In our house the schnauzer is the boss. All 20 lbs. of him! Boxers are not known as aggressive dogs (unless they're trained to be). They are usually a good breed to introduce to other dogs.

hi my grandmother has a doberman and she wont hurt anybody that dosesn't bother her she is just a puppy but sh e is about 49 inches
    well i love rotts and i want onje of those big pluse ones!

My doggies are cool! I have a yellow lab named Allie and a Jack Russel Terrier named Zoe. Zoe likes to chase birds, chase cats, and bury bones. Zoe has fleas. Allie likes to swim, go hunting, and eat. She also likes to eat dead fish. Well I gotta go pick fleas off of my dog. C'ya, Mal

I own a psyco dog from hell. She must just not like me. anyone else got a dog that bites you for fun?

Summersky- dont get a doggie! my lil dog still hates our big house! wait till u have a big house and more time. you could get a mini collie....

I love most dogs, but the one that I can't stand is the pitt bull! they are mean! One time a pitt bull tried to bit me! Luckily I got away but I've been scared of them ever since. Got any replies on that?

I have a rare breed, a purebred Havanese, Poco, and i like to brag about her. She can do all kindsa trix, and Growl is one. Yep i taught my 10"-high poofy-haired Cuban Silk Dog to growl. She does lot of other typical tricks too, like sit speak rollover jump. She is very intelligent and she licks a lot. You can stick something in her face and she will lick it. She is my adorable puppy although she is 3 years old. I got her off the Internet! A breeder in California was moving to London and couldn't take her so they sold her to Us. WEBDOGG!

Hi there have you ever seen such beautiful dogs as bullmastiffs?

Originally posted by Mallerie23:
    I love most dogs, but the one that I can't stand is the pitt bull! they are mean! One time a pitt bull tried to bit me! Luckily I got away but I've been scared of them ever since. Got any replies on that?
    Can't stand the pit bull? I was attacked by a chihuahua when I was 10, but I don't hate them. I'm sorry that you were bitten. I'll bet you that the person who RAISED the dog didn't socialize him/her like they should have. Or perhaps he felt threatened or wanted to protect his property.

You can't judge a breed just by bad press! I have a pit (well, actually an AmStaff) who is the most wonderful, handsome, loving, smartest dog I have ever had. He doesn't even hurt the frogs when he chases them! We have a little kitten that he just adores (and he's about 10 times bigger!) you should see them sleeping together on the couch - way too cute!!

Sorry to go off, but it really makes me angry when someone slams pit bulls without knowing everything. Please do me a favor and check out this site for me:
    http://www.cyberpresence.net/pb/pbweb.html

Then perhaps you'll have a better idea of what a wonderful animal a pit bull can be!

Thanks for listening to my rant

how can you put a picture in here?)

I'm so glad to see so many people with rescued dogs. I work with Critter Rescue up in the WI Northwoods which is dedicated to finding homes for abandoned and abused animals. We have a network of people who act as foster parents until a suitable home can be found. We also have arrangements with a local vet to provide any medical care and spaying or neutering that's necessary when the animal is brought to us. It's great when we find someone who will take in these great animals and give them a fresh, loving start. You folks are special people!!!

What do you mean Basset Hounds from Hell? I have a one year old Basset - Daisy - and she is the sweetest dog I've ever seen, and has set off a chain reaction among my friends all scrambling for their own bassets! One of them has even named her dog Baby Daisy because she adored mine so much! I'd recommend Bassets to pretty much everyone... despite what people think, they aren't just couch potatos, my basset loves to play in our field, and is faster than any of the kids in the neighborhood, who all race her. But, for those who aren't very active, the basset is also content to lounge with you, Daisy thinks she is a lap dog. She has many friends, both dog, people, even horse, as she is very friendly. She is great with children and also good with people in wheelchairs as we have one in our home as well as next door and is very gentle. Everyone around here loves that droopy little dog! So not all bassets are from hell, I certainly have an angel here!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaleigh-Gray & Kritters:
    [B]I guess I'm the fool here.. I have Basset Hounds From Hell... AKA Spawns Of Satan. On the outside they look fine, but once you know them, or they want attention, watch out! Granted most times they sleep, eat and sleep some more, but they have their times! But for some reason they seem to be the only pure breeds I get...

I LOVE Australian Cattledogs. My grandpa has an Australian Cattledog named Buck. He is a red heeler. He is the sweetest dog. If any of you other Australian Cattledog lovers want to e-mail me your more than welcome to. I also have a cat (whom we have to give away ), a guinea pig, a gerbil, and three parakeets. Our guinea pig is an Abyssinian, broken whit blue marked(marked cavy). If you have the same kind of guinea pig or any other kind your also mre than welcome to e-mail me.

Originally posted by summerskkye:
    I'm considering getting either a Collie or a German Sheperd.

I've owned both before - 2 collies, a sable girl named Tasha and a tri male named Zire; and 2 Germans, a girl named Reina and a German-Lab mix named King.

Thing is, it's beign a while - I grew up with these dogs - so, I'm hoping some of you who've had more recent experience with them can help me out.

We live in the suburbs, and have a fenced-in yard. Also, we'd be doing two long walks a day (morning and evening). Grooming won't be a problem (collie), I actually love doing it and totally regret the fact that my cat won't allow it !! And of course, the doggie would be with us in the evenings and go to training classes, from puppy kindergarten onwards ...

Problem is, he has to get along with (and be completely trustworhty around) our cat,a Himmy-Ragdoll, and our other dog, a Pekingese. The other issue is, in about a year and a half, I'll probably be moving into an apartment, with just my cat and this dog (no Pekingese)...so, the most important thing is, which of these two breeds would best adapt to this change? Which one would be happy with no yard, and only two 20-minute walks per day instead, plus some extra romping on weekends?

Or, do you think neither of these breeds would be happy this way?

Please, I need feedback !! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I love these two breeds, but I want my future buddy to be happy, so if that wouldn't be the case...then I'll look into something else
    Personally, I would choose Collies over German Shepherds. They are both great. But, I'm more into the herding dogs. I know Germam Shepherds were bred for herding, but Collies have a better reputation of it. Its your choice. I hope that I have helped.

Originally posted by bigmack:
    Hi there have you ever seen such beautiful dogs as bullmastiffs?
    Bigmack-I've seen more beautiful dogs than bullmastiffs. But they are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!! I have dreamed of owning a French Mastiff. That's the kind of dog that played in Turner and Hooch. But, where I live a French Mastiff would be misserable. I live in an apartment .