Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dog Breeds

GERMAN SHEPHERDS RULE!!!
    I never thought I would hear myself say that, considering I was pretty badly biten by one when I was younger. However, I rescued the most beautiful 1 year old female, Nikki, about 4 years ago, and she has completely sold me on the breed. My comment above is not ment to shoot down other dogs, it is just one girl's opinion. I have seen characteristics in this dog of mine that I have never seen in other dogs. It almost looks like she comtemplates flight everytime she looks skyward and sees a plane or bird. And I don't mean a low flying plane, I mean jets, way up there. I'd love to be in her head, to know what she's thinking.
    Probably, nothing. I know we all tend to anthropomorphize our animals.(Oh gosh I hope I spelled that right)
    Anyway I'm new here and just dropped in to say HI!!!
    Kathy & NIkki

I'm so glad to see so many positive responses about Rottys since I last posted....especially since I've lost one of mine since I last posted. My young female, Xena, died suddenly while I was on the road. The vet said it appeared to be a 'twisted gut', not uncommon among big dogs. Other than that, she was beautifully healthy when she died..and this was totally unforseen. She was a wonderful 'puppy' of a lil more than two years old,..and would probably have had that 'puppy' spirit forever, no matter how old she got to be. She demanded attention, but, oh so politely...and would do whatever commanded just for your approval. She will be dearly missed. Thanks all for your great posts on Rottys..and all the great breeds of our best friends.

I am wondering if there are any rat terrier
    lovers out there? I have owned two (lost one
    in divorce but got to keep the best one -ha).
    There are the greatest. I have one rat terrier and one chow/shepherd mix. They are
    both fantastic dogs. I have also had a rotty and she was the sweetest most lovable dog I've ever known. I took her to a daycare
    one day for the children to see and pet. The
    more attention she got the happier she was.
    Anyway, I would like to hear from other rat
    terrier owners. I think we all feel the same; once you haved owned one you are hooked forever!!! They are true terrors when
    they are pups, but be patient and they will be the most wonderful, most fun pet you have
    ever had. I used to think I only wanted large dogs. Not anymore! The ratties think
    they are a big dog in a little body!

Dixie, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's really tough losing a best friend. Just remember she's waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

teena:

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your terrier cross. I dread the day Max leaves us. You're right about Yahoo petchat, we have spoken before. I've not had time to chat in a long time, though.

Dixey, I feel SOOOOOOO bad about your Rotty!!!!!! My Lucky is still alive and well, but I DEFINATLY do NOT look forward to his death. I know I would miss Luck so much and can only imagine how you feel.

My neighbor's dog just had puppies! They are boxers. I'm so excited. I may be able to get one but my problem is I have a thieteen year old Yorkie and I'm afraid it will put him into depression or something. Some people say it was good for their old dog but some say it wasn't. What should I do?

[This message has been edited by JKRJG24 (edited July 09, 2000).]

JKRJG24--

We've never had more than one dog at a time so I really can't help you out there. However, we do have a 1yr old boxer and she is very(!!) playful (and at times a little too rough). Despite this, she is a joy to have and is a fountain of never ending love (not to mention drool! lol)

Puppies grow very quickly; a boxer puppy will soon out weigh your full-grown Yorkie. I was wondering if you've considered how rough/playful puppies can be and how your older, smaller dog would take this?

Good luck with your decision!! =^..^=

I've just added my 7th dog. They range in age from 11+ yrs to 13months. I've had only minor adjustment problems. It helps if the new addition is a pup or already neutered. And don't spoil the new addition too much and make the older guy feel jealous. Judy

JKRJG24,
    We adopted a year-old boxer from a rescue group in March, then recently brought home a yorkie/pom mix pup. The pup thinks he's as big as the boxer, who let's him crawl all over her and nip at her jowls or anything else he can reach.

These two joined the family of an 8 year old cat, 6 year old Llasa and 5 year old shephard mix, with the Llasa the alpha dog. I've found when we want to bring in a new critter, it's easier if we do it away from home territory. You may want to take your older yorkie to the boxer pups to see how s/he reacts to them. If s/he isn't happy about being around them, I would reconsider the opportunity until after the older dog has fulfilled its life rather than add stress. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, there will be other pups to adopt. But your long time companion only has you.

One of my best friends has a huge standard poodle and a tiny miniature pincher, and they absolutely love each other. The little dog nibbles on the standard poodle, and the poodle doesn't even care; just nuzzles the mini pincher back playfully. So, as for size being a problem, I don't think it will be at all!!!

The book "Paws to Consider", by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson, talks about wolf hybrids. Here's what it says:

"There are people out there who will make money selling you anything, including wolf hybrids (wolf-dog crosses). These are not pets but dangerous animals that do not behave like dogs. Wolves are wonderful - when they're running free in Yellowstone Park. They were never intended to live in your home. Wolves are actually shy animals who would rather flee than fight. When you mix dogs and wolves you take the useful "run away" and "fear of humans" instincts out of the wolf and add independence, instability, and primitive behaviours to the dog. What you get is 100 percent bad news."

Hope it helps out :=). I love wolves, too...so, I absolutely *worship* Siberian Huskies. Aren't they just too beautiful for words :=) ??

I'm considering getting either a Collie or a German Sheperd.

I've owned both before - 2 collies, a sable girl named Tasha and a tri male named Zire; and 2 Germans, a girl named Reina and a German-Lab mix named King.

Thing is, it's beign a while - I grew up with these dogs - so, I'm hoping some of you who've had more recent experience with them can help me out.

We live in the suburbs, and have a fenced-in yard. Also, we'd be doing two long walks a day (morning and evening). Grooming won't be a problem (collie), I actually love doing it and totally regret the fact that my cat won't allow it !! And of course, the doggie would be with us in the evenings and go to training classes, from puppy kindergarten onwards ...

Problem is, he has to get along with (and be completely trustworhty around) our cat,a Himmy-Ragdoll, and our other dog, a Pekingese. The other issue is, in about a year and a half, I'll probably be moving into an apartment, with just my cat and this dog (no Pekingese)...so, the most important thing is, which of these two breeds would best adapt to this change? Which one would be happy with no yard, and only two 20-minute walks per day instead, plus some extra romping on weekends?

Or, do you think neither of these breeds would be happy this way?

Please, I need feedback !! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I love these two breeds, but I want my future buddy to be happy, so if that wouldn't be the case...then I'll look into something else

Carabara I just read your note about the standard poodle. Let me just make a huge "plug" for standard poodles. I was fortunate enough to be owned by a black standard for 8 years. Whitney was as close to being a human as is possible. She was gentle, loving, affectionate and intelligent. We introduced CATS (two of them, one at a time) into her life after having her about 5 years. She welcomed them into our home and they quickly became "buddies." Anyway, back to the original problem of the Yorkie and the Boxer......I think it depends a lot on the dogs involved. The puppy will do fine, and I think if he/she is introduced to the Yorkie in a gradual way, with lots of love and reassurance, the Yorkie will adapt. It may just give him a "second wind" so to speak! Good luck and let us know how you do!!

Well I relly want to get her and I think your right I think it would be good for Bear but now my dad is saying no! I still think there is hope but it's looking bad! I guess maybe there is a reason he is saying no and I guess if I really love this dog I will want the best for her! But I still hope he will come around!!!!!!!!!