Thread: UTI (great tips)from my new vet today

UTI (great tips)from my new vet today

i had to bring gus in today for UTI once again.
    he was on clavamox for a long time.the liquid(3 bottles)and
    still has some blood in his urine,and still bounces from box to box and pees in the corners of the basement.no blockage/no chrystals.
    we moved just recently and i had to go to a new vet this am for him.
    they gave him :

1 shot of dual penn injection at the office(26 dollars)i was shocked at that but hope it helps.

3 weeks worth of antirobe (strength 20 ml)liquid 1 dropperful 2 x a day

uroeze 400 mg 2 times a day to maintain ph (to acidify urine) (not for kittens)

valium (diazapam)5 mg cut in half 2 x a day for 1 week .(not for kittens)
    the valium was to relax his urethra.

he also said to give 125 mg of vitamin c (can take a 500 mg cut in 4's to give 1/4th 2 x's a day.

and 1 tablespoon of spagetti sauce to acidify the urine

i really loved this because none of my other vets suggested these ideas..(i looked up all and they are all suppose to really help UTI.
    this guy was an old gentleman and had his own vet clinic for many years now working part time for someone else (to help out).
    i really loved this guy.
    Last edited by catfamily; 04-24-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

THATS THE FIRST TIME I HEARD OF SPAGHETTI SAUCE , BUT THIS GENTLEMAN BEING AN EXPERIENCE VET HAS PICKED UP A FEW SECRETS I SEE.
    I KNOW THE FOUND CATS WILL LAP AT THE BETTER PASTA WE GET FROM AUNT JANICE SO THERE SOMETHING TO THAT AS NONE OF THEM HAVE UTIS, KNOCK ON WOOD. WE ARE SO GLAD YOU AHVE AN EXPERIENCE VET IN YOUR CORNER AUNT CARLA.

A RARE BO BO VISIT ON THE PORCH.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

That's good to know about vitamin C. It sure can't hurt, that's for sure.

The tomato sauce is probably for the acid. Having suffered a UTI a couple of weeks ago, the doc I saw said acidic drinks were best (orange, cranberry, tomato). I'm sure it applies to felines, too!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

I almost always have homemade spaghetti sauce in my house. Nice to know.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

gus at 11 pounds on a half of a 5 valium looked pretty drunk tonight after his dose.

it kind of scared me but he's fine.

he fell in the bath tub (no water)trying to go in and slid in like a snake and landed on his head...then got out and started biting my sneakers(not the laces)then started acting like a clumsy balerina jumping from box to box(we just moved in our new home,boxes all over).

i think i'll use a quarter of a 5 mil gram tablet from now on.
    the nurse tech said half of a 5 for his hefty weight should be fine but i was worried he might fall head first in his water bowl

so i'll do a 4th from now on til maybe 3-4 days then call them to see if i should stop the valium.

he should do well on all these great ideas though.

the Uroeze is great for cats she and the male doctor said for mainting ph balance in the urine.
    i personally never heard of the vitamin c is also good.but use 125 mil so make sure you cut a 500 in 4's.
    he said it's good for a once in a while help for cats w/uti along with all the other tips.

i know my cats love sauce and i wouldn't let them have it thinking it was bad for them.now i know i can.
    gus freaks out at my sauce.him and his other siblings.they love it.(just make sure there are no onions in it or pepper and strong spices)

i just wish i had a big bucket of MEDUSA'S sauce.
    then the whole gang and me and mike could all enjoy some REALLY good sauce

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Now I know how Sam (my childhood cat) stayed so healthy all his life (22 years of it!) - he loved tomato sauce and my Mom indulged his every whim (not spoiled - not our Sam ). He would eat spaghetti sauce, tomato soup - anything that had tomato in it He was a strong and healthy boy

Better start feeding Eve tomatoes!!
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Carla, I am so thrilled for you to have found a good vet in your new hometown! That means soooo much, doesn't it? Great tips on UTIs as well! Gus, enjoy that pasta sauce!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Cami (as well as a couple other of my cats) recently went through UTI's. Everyone else was cleared up with antibiotics however Cami's was persistent. Not only did her urinalysis show infection, but also some crystals and a high Ph. We did another round of a different antibiotic, put her on Purina urinary formula food and give her Methio-Form Tablets to acidify her urine.

Cami's last urinalysis showed absolutely no crystals, no infection, and urine Ph was completely normal.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    Cami (as well as a couple other of my cats) recently went through UTI's. Everyone else was cleared up with antibiotics however Cami's was persistent. Not only did her urinalysis show infection, but also some crystals and a high Ph. We did another round of a different antibiotic, put her on Purina urinary formula food and give her Methio-Form Tablets to acidify her urine.

Cami's last urinalysis showed absolutely no crystals, no infection, and urine Ph was completely normal.
    Thank you for this info.it sounds like fantastic medicine.i never heard of that either and i will definetly bring it up to my new vet if gus has future problems.
    right now gus is still on the clindamycin(antirobe liquid still...for another 2 weeks)
    he still has 2 of the 5 mil valiums left and i cut them in 4's both of them to weed him off from the 5 split in half.
    and there is 2 more uroeze pills left(2 times a day will be gone tomorrow).

gus is a very difficult cat to catch for meds...he needs to be resting and i need to sneak up on him(poor little guy).
    2 times a day is rough on him and us.
    he was/is a semi feral but never ever scratched or bit us.
    he just was very frightened of people.

but....if i am laying down...he comes up to me slowly...lays down and makes me massage him for a whole hour a night
    I call him my cutie Pooh Bear.I really am crazy about him.He's such a doll.
    A lovebug that just needs patience.

he's peeing fine now,so hopefully no more meds after these.
    Thanks so much everyone