Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yale Student Has Multiple Abortions in the Name of Art

Hybrid View

Yale Student Has Multiple Abortions in the Name of Art

The link is here .

I wonder if she has any emotional trauma as a result of any of that.

Yale student has multiple abortions in the name of art

* by Erin Flaherty, Shine staff, 7 hours 41 minutes ago
    * 22 Comments
    * Post a Comment
    * Report Abuse

Yale senior Aliza Schvarts has just possibly created the most controversial senior thesis ever: According to The Yale Daily News, it's "a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself 'as often as possible' while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process."

In her defense, Schvarts claims that her goal was "to spark conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body." Still, fellow students who sit on both sides of the abortion debate are shocked, and conservative Pro-lifers are already using her as an example of reckless abortion.

One member of a campus pro-life group, Jonathan Serrato, put it this way: "I feel that she's manipulating life for the benefit of her art, and I definitely don't support it," Serrato said. "I think it's morally wrong."

What do you think? Does part of our right to choose include manipulating the human body in such a way for art's sake? Or has she taken advantage of this right in an unethical way?
    Last edited by Sevaede; 04-20-2008 at 12:15 AM.

Physical and bloody abuse of herself and another/new life?

I am surprised she wasn't apprehended and put in a psych ward involuntarily.

The only point of debate in my mind is, "Is this woman sick and crazy?"

NO debate on that. YES.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Physical and bloody abuse of herself and another/new life?
    I hardly see how this is art... Abortions aside, she could have really screwed herself up, especially in the long run...

facebook

Privilege as Pathology - Won't Somebody Set Me Some Limits, Please?

WOW....

how someone could have such disregard for a human life... let alone her OWN body.

Disgusting.

When people go through so much to find out they can never have a child of her own this woman is abusing her ability to do so. Sick

What has art come to these days?

So if I went out and puked on the sidewalk... is that art? if so I could have been a millionaire during my morning sickness.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Ummm...

Wow...she is trashing her own health and sacrificing lives for art?

What is this world coming to?

They edited the article to say that she didn't really impregnate herself but made the whole thing up as a project. I don't know...its a good piece of fiction but she shouldn't have represented it as real I don't think.

Weird...

This is an arguement for the warning/contraindication labels. you'd kinda hope she'd get all the symptoms, just to show her.
    ---------------

It's probably her scheming to get an art grant maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by DJFyrewolf36
    They edited the article to say that she didn't really impregnate herself but made the whole thing up as a project. I don't know...its a good piece of fiction but she shouldn't have represented it as real I don't think.

Weird...
    They EDITED the article?

Good thing you posted it here...

facebook

Yeah they added later that two deans confirmed that it was all made up BUT there is now a rumor that she did in fact do it.

I don't know what to beleive now lol

I think it's easiest to believe, either way, that she is mentally ill.

Even if she had made the whole thing up - same applies IMO.

It's on the internet so it must be true.

This is art? Doesn't she have a thesis advisor? What on earth was that person thinking, to encourage this, umm, academic work? And Yale is willing to bestow its hot-sh*t degree on this "student"?

So it was really just a little made-up story, huh? Or is this just what she and Yale are saying now that such outrage has arisen over the matter?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    I think it's easiest to believe, either way, that she is mentally ill.

Even if she had made the whole thing up - same applies IMO.
    Absolutely, she is crackers.

The Yale hierarchy is insisting it was a hoax; she still claims it is true - or her version of the truth.

But in a guest column published in Friday's student newspaper, Shvarts insisted the project was real. She described her "repeated self- induced miscarriages," although she allows that she never knew if she was actually pregnant.

"The most poignant aspect of this representation—the part most meaningful in terms of its political agenda (and, incidentally, the aspect that has not been discussed thus far)—is the impossibility of accurately identifying the resulting blood," she said.

"Because the miscarriages coincide with the expected date of menstruation (the 28th day of my cycle), it remains ambiguous whether ... there was ever a fertilized ovum or not. The reality of the pregnancy, both for myself and for the audience, is a matter of reading," she wrote.

Shvarts told the newspaper she planned to display a work that consisted of a cube lined with plastic sheets with a blood-and- petroleum-jelly mixture in between, onto which she would project video footage of herself "experiencing miscarriages in her bathroom tub."

University officials said Shvarts' project included visual representations, a news release and other narrative materials. When confronted by three senior Yale officials, including two deans, Shvarts acknowledged that she was never pregnant and did not induce abortions, Klasky said.

"She said if Yale puts out a statement saying she did not do this, she would say Yale was doing that to protect its reputation," Klasky said.

Shvarts told the paper her goal was to spark conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body.

Art student admits she faked controversial project

I would think SOMEONE on staff is urging her to see a shrink...

Follow up to http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=141454

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...55_yale18.html

Art student admits she faked controversial project

By Susan Kinzie

The Washington Post

A Yale University student's senior art project, which she said documented her bleeding during repeated self-induced abortions, sparked a protest on campus, an outcry on the Internet and debates over morality, medicine, art and academia.

And — it was all faked. Senior Aliza Shvarts told Yale officials Thursday that she didn't get pregnant and didn't have abortions. But that didn't stop an outpouring of emotion as the story spread.

Earlier she said she had herself artificially inseminated as often as possible for much of the past year and then took legal, herbal abortifacient drugs and filmed herself in her bathtub cramping and bleeding from the miscarriages.

She said her work would include video, a sculpture and a spoken piece describing what she had done.

She declined to comment Thursday.

She presented a mock-up of the project in class last week and told the Yale Daily News she wanted to provoke debate about the relationship between art and the human body, but that the intention of the piece was not to scandalize anyone.

Well, it did.

Within hours after the article ran Thursday in the student newspaper, blogs were full of angry reactions, including horror that so many fetuses were apparently aborted, revulsion at the graphic nature of the piece, shock that someone would risk her health in such a way and general disdain for art and academia. (One blogger offered an alternative installation: Vomit in Sock.)

Students gathered near the administration building to protest Thursday afternoon, said sophomore John Behan, president of Choose Life at Yale (CLAY). "CLAY and the entire Yale community, I think, are appalled at what was a serious lapse in taste on the part of the student and the Yale art department."

Yale spokeswoman Helaine Klasky said Thursday: "Ms. Shvarts ... stated to three senior Yale University officials today ... that she did not impregnate herself and that she did not induce any miscarriages. The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman's body.

"She is an artist and has the right to express herself through performance art."

To many, her piece symbolizes the worst of art — shock without substance — and of academia, with professors encouraging useless introspection.

Within hours, photos of her in leopard-print shorts and fringed boots were on the Internet, with blog headlines such as "Aliza Shvarts is One Sick Puppy," and comments furious, disgusted and bitter.

Juan Castillo, a senior art major who saw Shvarts present the work in progress, said by phone that her artwork had been oversimplified and sensationalized. "It's a much more complex project," he said. "It's supposed to challenge the mythology of the body," he said.

"I think she was definitely trying to spark conversation ... But I don't know if she meant it to get this crazy, this out of control."

Staff writer Philip Rucker and researcher Meg Smith contributed to this story. Amila Golic reported from New Haven.

Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company