Thread: Sarcoptic Mange

Sarcoptic Mange

Hi everyone. it's been awhile since i've been around the boards here, but i have a problem with Daisy. She's got some type of mites. We live in a humid, waterfront area
    and bugs are just a way of life, but this is bad.
    She has begun biting herself and constantly scratching. I've done a lot of reading and from what i can gather it is the sarcoptic variety,(scabies), as they are getting me too now. i have little rashes on my arms and hands and itch a lot, but not like her. Anyway, i am going to take her to see a vet and see if they recommend the revolution for her. (She's been on frontline every month, but it no longer is working for her. My question today is, how can i take her to the vet if she's possibly contageous?? i couldn't live with myself if she infected another dog with this. Any suggestions? Has anyone else ever had this problem? Did it clear up?
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Call your vet. Unless your dog is interacting closely with other animals in the waiting room, they should be OK. The vet will probably dip your dog and give you some oral meds.

You may want to see your own doctor, too. There are creams to clear up your skin. I would be afraid to try any home remedies. They don't always work and the situation could get worse. Worse, you could reinfect your dog.

My Sierra had Sarcoptic Mange when I adopted her and didn't know it at first. Both my husband and I had the little critters on us too. They were most active on us late in the evening and mostly around the waistbands of our pants or the top of our socks. Where ever your clothes are the tightest to your body.
    My vet asked me to keep her in the car until they were ready to see her and when they were ready for her to come in they asked that she be carried into the exam room. Your dog does not have to be in close contact to another dog in order for them to spread. Please leave Daisy in the car when you go to check into the vet.
    My hubby and I didn't have to do anything to get rid of them on us, they can't live on humans and die quickly.
    Off the top of my head I can't think of what my vet gave me to give to Sierra..... I know it was just a topical application. It might have been Revolution. No pills or injections.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

My rat Winkie had Sarcopic Mange. Poor baby was scratching so bad, he lost some of his fur. The idiotic vet I went to didn't do a skin scraping the first time. Just gave him a shot of something and told me that would take care of it. I was worried about him passing it onto my cats as he does have free run of my living room on occasion.

The second trip back I insisted they do a skin scraping and sure enough it was sarcopic mange. They gave me Revolution to put on him. I cleaned his tank with hot water and bleach, and gave him a bath in baby shampoo.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

thanks for your replies everybody. well, Daisy got a thorough exam and scraping, but they didn't find anything. such is the case 60% of the time, but we are treating her for the mange by giving her ivermectin injections and oral ivermectin. she'll have 4 injections in all, due for the second on the 5th. so far, i think the problem is under control, but she is still itching like mad, very allergic. i REALLY hope the allergy goes away. i cannot stand to see her this way.
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

I too got the sarcoptic mange from my little shelter pup who had every parasite inside and out. We tried Revolution, didn't work. We got a dip from the vet, and I got a dip from my doc. They are so nasty, they burrow and grow under the skin. You scratch til you bleed.

If your dog has been Dx'd you should be able to p/u a dip without having to bring pup back in.

I am so sorry you have this!

For the lucky folks who have never walked this particular journey, this mange is different from demodectic mange.
    Last edited by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily; 05-03-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: addition to manges