Thread: Therapeutic properties of Cats

Therapeutic properties of Cats

Todays COTD, Yoyo, along with Romeo (Mar. 8, 2008) made me remember a time when my Squizz cat (Feb. 28, 2008) had given comfort to someone who was under a great deal of stress.

My husbands and my semi truck had needed repairs. We took it to a dealer and while it was getting fixed, the two of us and Squizz on his harness waited in the drivers area. This area had a couch, several recliner chairs, a TV and some vending machines. There was a nother driver sitting in one of the recliners, waiting for his truck who, to say the least, was not happy. He was ranting and raving about how long he had to wait and the money he was loosing and was just all aroud not a happy camper.
    Squizz desided he needed to investigate every inch of the drivers lounge and after doing so ended up jumping on the guys lap. I told him I was sorry and went to remove the cat. Rather supprised, he said that it was alright and to leave him. It was almost as if a switch had been turned and the energy in the room had canged. Squizz settled down and started napping and within 5 minets the guy had fallen asleep himself. It was as if the guy was exausted and all the energy that was keeping him awake was the anger and stress he had worked up. Squizz had taken that stress from him and allowed him to relax. He woke up about an hour later, still with cat, and was in a much better mood and better able to deal with his truck situation.
    It amazed me that Squizz just went to a stranger who was acting loud and hostile and then the reaction to the cat was so strong. I guess he saw that the guy was in need and did what he could to take care of him.

I think this is an example of one of the jobs our pets do for us. I have coutless stories of how my cat boys have come to me to give me comfrort when I need it.

I would very much enjoy your stories of how the animals in your life have affected you and the people around you. And god bless all the companion animals that have enriched our lives and the lives of others.

What a touching story! Squizz seems like a special character!

All three of my cats try to make me feel better when Im down...even when Im just tired from work they tend to be cuddly because they know it makes me feel better. I love cats

Even with the occasional accident, the Found Cats are so calming and soothing to be around and thier purrrs soooth me to sleep at night. Joseph has taken over Mr Scrappys job of sleeping beside me and helping me relax .
    I dont know what I would do if it wasnt for My Cats!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Wow, your Squizz sure is special! We adopted Groucho a few days after finding out that my Mom had uterine cancer. At that time Mom already had two major strokes and two surgeries to remove three brain tumors. Soncat and I were not only devastated but scared out of our minds. Baby Groucho was a great comfort to us, even Mom was excited about our new family member. Mom had a third stroke a little over a year ago and things did not look good for her. When we'd get home from the hospital, Groucho would jump right up and snuggle next to me. From time to time he'd look up at me like he knew what was happening. When the tears would come, Groucho was right there with purrs, kisses and the hugs only a kitty can give. Through the whole time he was the ultimate velcro kitty, Groucho never left my side and followed me all around the house. It was like his meows were saying, "Don't worry, Meowmie, it will be okay."
    As difficult as the situation with Mom was, Groucho made me feel like I wasn't all alone and could face what was to come. Fortunately, Mom recovered but is paralyzed on her right side and confined to a wheelchair. Her spirits and outlook are very positive. She often tells me how happy she is in the nursing home. Mom has never met Groucho in person but she asked if she could have a picture of him that she keeps on her night stand. She thinks he's the cutest kitty ever!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Oh my, these stories are giving me LES....but happy tears!!!

The only story I have is about my dear Max. I adopted him in April, 1997 and he was 5 years old at the time. He's always been a somewhat independant soul but he will snuggle on his terms. He's never been a lap cat.

When I was recovering from my cancer surgery in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec of 2006 I was completely amazed how he changed into the stickiest velcro kitty I've ever had. If I got up out of bed to the couch he would follow me. Even though he fell asleep beside me there, he would immediately get up and follow me into bed again. He literally followed me everywhere....even into the bathroom. During that time when I took a shower, he would sit on the bathmat and wait for me to come out. It was like he wanted to make sure I was OK. He doesn't do that much now but he's turned into quite a talker since then. He truly is my heart kitty and he will be 16 this year. God willing, I won't need any more surgery before he makes the "trip" but if I do, I know that my furry nurse will be right by my side.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

My son sent me a card once when I was working 12 hour days and was so exhausted physically and mentally. On the cover of the card was a woman who was trying to unlock her door while her arms were full of grocery bags and she had her purse strapped onto her shoulder plus she was carrying a brief case. To say she was harried would be putting it mildly. As she turned the key, coming out from under the door was the sound of "meow". Upon opening the card, you could see a cat standing by the door and looking up at her. She dropped everything and picked up the cat, nuzzled her face in its fur and smiled. That's what my cats do for me. Without even trying.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

As she turned the key, coming out from under the door was the sound of "meow". Upon opening the card, you could see a cat standing by the door and looking up at her. She dropped everything and picked up the cat, nuzzled her face in its fur and smiled. That's what my cats do for me. Without even trying.
    Oh YEAH!!!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

These stories are wonderful. After a nerve-shredding day at work, my cats always make me feel much better. And Sassy is always an ambassador of good will to all the neighborhood children.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gin

Oh, look at that Sassy! Such a sweetheart.

Yes, my guys help keep me on an even keel; I tend to worry incessantly and sometimes it ruins my quality of life. But I'll stop and take a deep breath, pick one of them up and have a nice snuggle. When that purring starts, all of my tension washes away. Instant therapy!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

So, THAT is why I can't get Ed, or any cat, to sit on my lap when I drive the car.

He knows I'll fall asleep at the wheel!