Thread: Payton Needs Your Help

Hybrid View

Payton Needs Your Help

Hi all - been 3 years since I've been here. Wow. My black lab Payton needs your help. About a month ago, he started having episodes of "gasping" for breath. He is actually gulping for air. We've been to the vet who believes it is congestive heart failure and laryngeal paralysis. He's on enapranel, aminophyline, temeril-P and lasix. He doesn't seem to be getting any better. He's 12-1/2 years old. We haven't had any problems with Payton since I rescued him at 3-1/2 years old. He's always been quite a handful - not ever really learning how big he really was (about 90 pounds). My LD passed on 10/01/2007 from lung cancer. Only 7 years old. Payton's ears, which have always been problematic, got worse in January. He was on antibiotics with his ears being washed out twice at the vets. The second time he had an episode like I described above. It was like a panic attack, unable to catch his breath. Not another episode since January until March 6. Now they keep coming. I don't think it's laryngeal paralysis. While he's sleeping, he breathes fine, he hasn't been panting, etc. If any of you have heard of something like this, please let me know. Thank you for helping me and my Payton.

Quickest thing to do is get a second opinion if you can.

hugs! Prayers for Payton.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I don't know much about LP, but there are several people at VetPet with LP puppers. http://www.vetpetpartners.org/

I tried that link and the e-mail to subscribe was returned. Thank you anyway. The vet came to the house today. Payton's fluid in his lungs is decreased and his heart his beating within the limits. The vet feels when Payton gets scared or upset, his larynx closes which causes his breathing problems. Then when he calms down it opens up again. Now I'm looking for calming exercises to reduce these episodes.

Hmm. I'll ask the listowner.

She says:

...you can always tell folks to pop me an e-mail
    > at hilbro<at>vetpetpartners.org and I will gladly put through the subscription
    > for them.
    Last edited by critters; 04-11-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Thank you. I'm sending off an e-mail now.

Something must be wrong with their server right now because that one came back too. I'll try again tomorrow.

Now he has decided that he will become a picky eater. Who ever heard of a lab being a picky eater?

Sending PM (or email) with more VetPet info.

Thank you for all of your help Critters. I e-mailed.

Sorry to hear Payton is having this problem. Is there any med your Vet
    can give you that would help him during these episodes?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Payton's taking enaprenal, aminophyline, lasix and temeril-P. Heart and diruetics (sp). We're thinking we just hit on the right dosage, but his not eating is bothering me now too.

Update - The meds seem to be working. He is much more relaxed, still has the runs (Immonium AD) and still does not want to eat his own food. He is so weak. I need to build him back up.